Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help appreciated

Options
  • 27-12-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

i have got a laptop for christmas, and currently hav internet on a desk computer with wireless broadband, but i dont know the password to connect to internet from laptop?dos anyone know how i can obtain this password from the desk comp? cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

What provider? It it's eircom, it's quite easy to get the password from the Netopia router they give you. If not, you can reset the router completely and make up a new password. You'll need to input this into your desktop and laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

thanks for the quick reply!yes its eircom, so the password is on the actual router?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The security key number is probably on the stamp underneath the router ......at least it is with my BT broadband .

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

You can connect to the router through a cable and type 192.168.1.1 its usually that some routers are 192.168.0.1 (type that in a browser) then you will get the window come up looking for a username and password its usually admin for username and password if that dosent work you can just google the default setting for your router, once in there you can go into the wireless setting and see the key there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

try 192.168.1.254 in IE for eircom wireless one, thats what came default with mine (if you cant find what it is ask on here and we can run an ipconfig and get the default gateway).
    select wireless on the left and your passphrase should be there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your best bet is to connect to the router via ethernet and http://192.168.1.254
    change the wireless security from wep to wpa and then you can set your own password for the network. Save your settings and exit.

Advertisement