Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs

Options
  • 27-12-2008 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

What is the best way to approach (or get away from) a dog you don't know that confronts you, barks or nips at you? I mean should you keep walking, turn back, stand still etc?? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

That has to be the worst title you could put on a thread in the animals & pets forum! So vague!

That aside I find the best thing is to try and walk around the dog if it's at a driveway or a similar area that is its territory.

If the dog is running at you then you're pretty fucked but if its walking slowly towards you then keep facing it, drop your gaze and back away. It should slow, stop and ultimatley leave you alone.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Try and make friends, if you run it will only chase you and I don't know about you but I certainly can't outrun a dog! When I meet a new dog I just talk to it in a friendly tone, clap your hands, cluck at it, just try and call it over and act playful and usually they lose the whole aggressive stance and take on a friendly expression. (ears back, tail wagging etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I hate when I'm walking the dog and another dog comes running up with the owner either miles away or nowhere to be seen. Some dogs seem friendly til they touch noses and the other dog growls. My little lad just walks on with me, he doesn't like aggro.

If a strange dog growled at me I would try to avoid much direct eye contact (can be perceived as a threat), but I wouldn't run away either, it would only invite a chase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

I heard this before (and don't know how much truth is in it so don't rely on it totally and go picking fights with big hairy dogs! but...)

anyway, we used to have a little shih tzu and initially I was nervous when walking him as there were a few other very big dogs in the area, who had little obedience training. But I heard on TV from some animal behaviourist guy saying that dogs don't assess a threat by its size - it judges an 'opponent' by attitude and how the dog asserts himself. This is why you often see a tiny runt of a dog taking on a huge dog with no fear! its all down to attitude baby! so according to this guy on TV number one rule is to act assertive and confident, don't be aggressive but likewise don't be intimidated. Even if your dog is a big wimp, if you walk and act confidently other dogs will pick up on that, see you as the leader of the little pack of you and your dog, and (hopefully) respond accordingly and not be aggressive to either of you.

As I said, don't know if its truth or lies, but this guy maintained that number one rule for avoiding potential agression from other dogs was first off to act in a confident and assertive manner.

After that if you do get a dog confronting you or your dog then as BJC says :
    keep facing it, drop your gaze and back away. It should slow, stop and ultimatley leave you alone
    also the TV guy said that if another dog gets in your dogs face, that the key is to break eye contact either by making your dog move its head, or if possible by you getting in the sight line of the aggressive dog. That puts the dogs attention on you and then you have to be confident and assertive (but not threatening) and he should back down.

Having said all of this, I am sure it makes perfect sense in theory, but if a big whop ass dog makes a run at me I am sure that all of this will go out the window and I will quickly forget it whilst peeing my pants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Sorry about the thread title, I was on a shared computer & in a hurry & couldn't be bothered! :p
    I've come across two dogs recently who've just scared the effing life out of me while I was out walking. They run at me barking, circling me and try nipping my clothes, one of them actually grabbed my sleeve. Luckily the owners came out to both dogs but I was so terrified as one of the dogs was a Doberman! :eek:
    Just started this thread to see what I was doing wrong or what I could do to avoid this happening again, short of running a mile! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

fifomania wrote: »
    Just started this thread to see what I was doing wrong

You were doing nothing wrong, the dogs were doing nothing wrong (in their minds). The dogs owners however....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

Absolutely the owners at fault here and should be made aware of the fact that their dogs are causing trouble on a public road. Generally however, positive assertive energy is what is needed to pass a threatening dog. Your energy needs to show you are the dominant one, as they do read fear, and the no eye contact thing is correct too. I know, easier said than done, id ***t myself too id say, but thats the theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

Its not easy too fend off 2 aggressive dogs as they get very brave when there in groups.

However A big dog once started too charge at me once when I was walking in the country side. It was very aggress ive with the teeth showing and was just about too pounce at me.

But my instints just completely took over.. I showed no fear, instead I just turned around, faced it, got into a postion ready too take the dog on and just roared extremely hard at it.

I was expecting it too jump at me but it just immediately stopped and ran the opposite way.

I guess it really is just about attitude. However had it been 2 dogs, that would be a lot more dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

Terra wrote: »
    Its not easy too fend off 2 aggressive dogs as they get very brave when there in groups.

However A big dog once started too charge at me once when I was walking in the country side. It was very aggress ive with the teeth showing and was just about too pounce at me.

But my instints just completely took over.. I showed no fear, instead I just turned around, faced it, got into a postion ready too take the dog on and just roared extremely hard at it.

I was expecting it too jump at me but it just immediately stopped and ran the opposite way.

I guess it really is just about attitude. However had it been 2 dogs, that would be a lot more dangerous.
    fight or flight reaction! At least you know what you will do in an emergency now!

I definitely wouldn't have the nerve to confront the dogs! Hence I jumped on the nearest fence til the owners came out! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

you cant run away cause the dog is faster...if you turn away then you are defenseless against the little nipper...

i know i read somewhere that one theory is to make your self as big as possible. Maybe extend your arms to the sides and shout. except for the few vicious mad dogs out there ( very very few) the remainder are working on a territory thought pattern and their confidence might be broken easily. thats not to say that they wont hang around and bark etc....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've always gone with the idea that dogs aren't stupid, they can see how big you are once you confront them. If they see weakness they think they have the upper hand but if you are calm and assertive they think twice and move away. Its never failed for me so far.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Ok the circling and nipping thing is the most worrying, the barking thing is just noise. Id have a word with the owners if I were you, tell them this is aggressive behaviour and no, the dog isnt being playful. Id say stand your ground. Head up shoulders straight and a loud NO. Try and keep facing the dogs, although if they are circling you it wont be easy. Dont get yourself cornered. It may and it may not work, running away will make it worse as the dogs will chase you.

Thanks for those helpful replies, although I have to admit I'm scared stiff of meeting most dogs now! :( Was also told to ring the Dog Warden but he seemed a bit dismissive and the owner I was talking to kind of chuckled at me as if I was making something out of nothing! so I'm just avoiding the areas I know have dogs out loose when walking! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

well the owner may well chuckle, but that is just irresponsible. He/she may well think their dogs are harmless - they probably are to them, but you have shown a genuine concern and they should acknowledge it. its not like they are small yorkies, they are dobermans, which as you said are large enough tograb your sleeve. I find this worrying indeed.

Not sure if this would work, but I would first off ring the warden again, and be more assertive. say you have spoken to the owners and they are not bothered, point out they are dobermans, enquire about licences etc.

Then go to the local police station, tell them that there are large dogs being aggressive. Tell them you have spoken to the warden and the owener and nothing has been done. Tell them that it has happened several times, and the extent of it - i.e grabbing your sleeve etc. Even if they seem not bothered, demand that your complaint goes down in the incident book, so that it is on record. Every time the dogs do it again, go back to them, and also ring the warden again and tell them that you have informed the police and if you are injured in any way by these dogs you will be holding them equally responsible.

I know this sounds dramatic, and the dogs are not the ones to blame, but the owner is well out of order and you have to show you are serious.

One thing I would say when you contact each party is not to be too nervous or meek - don't be over confident and aggressive either, but if you come across as meek and nervy they will think you ar just a wimp that sees a big dog and panics. Point out you are not a nervous person and are not normally afraid of dogs.

See what response you get from this.

BTW - does anyone know how you could go about checking for licences for the dogs? if there are none then that is something I would definitely tell the coppers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

I was confronted by a dog when I was younger and I got scared and kept looking at it in the eyes and it kept chasing me. Dogs really can smell fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

as i have had and met many dogs over the years i have found the best way to avoid an aggressive dog is to not look at them or even smile[dog may the you are snarling] if that dose not work wag your tail.

Advertisement