Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post Full Licence Advice

Options
  • 27-12-2008 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭

Well I passed my test a while ago and I feel I am a good enough driver, but at the same time I think I can improve on alot of things.I have been looking around at doing advanced driving courses but they all seem to be in Dublin which is a problem as im in Limerick.I looked at the Hibernian course, but you need to be with them or joining them to do it and im with Axa.

I was talking to a lad from Norway the other day at work and the stuff they have to learn to even get on the road is way more advanced than anything I could have imagined.They have to practice on every kind of surface, especially the snow.I watched a few videos on youtube of them practicing and its amazing what they have to learn and how good they are.

Im happy I passed the test but I dont think it has prepared me for real driving, so can anyone help me find a good course? If the course would help lower my insurance that would be excellent, but just improving driving skill in different situations would be enough.My parents got me a Mondello park start line package in a Mazda 3 and Formula Sheane for christmas, that should help but thats more for fun ;)

Thanks

Edit: Male 21, been driving about 5 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Some icy day, go to a carpark to test your handling ability

Buy this book, its what all the advanced courses are based on anyway, http://www.amazon.com/Roadcraft-Drivers-Handbook-Philip-Coyne/dp/0117021687/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230509641&sr=8-2

It teaches all about defensive driving and a better system of car control, the learner driver method in ireland has some serious flaws, some bad habits also (changing gears in corners being one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Icy roads are a Death trap , going 20mph along an icy road , turned the wheel , car kept going straight ahead , slid into a ditch a few feet from a wall, was also on a blind corner , if another car or truck was coming I would have been screwed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Avoid speeding and drinking bar being unlucky you'll be alright on the roads
    same goes to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Not one for giving advice as I only have my full licence just over a year but all I can say is continue to expect the unexpected and take all the cautions you did while driving during your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

Step 1: Forget most of the stuff you already know about driving
    Step 2: Start by reading all the sections on this website http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/tipoffs-index.htm
    Step 3: Join the IAM, get some lessons and do their test (See here: http://www.iam.org.uk/Irish+Advanced+Motorists/The+IAM+Advanced+Test/)

Its amazing the difference applying some of this stuff makes, I've noticed myself improving a lot since I started paying attention to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Even if ya do advanced training you will never be finished learning. Anyone who says they know all about driving are lying. No matter what age you are, no matter how much experience you have, you are never finished learning.
    Going to a closed road/industrial estate ect and testing your emergency bracking skills is all good and well but you dont have to take into account the factors of a real life breaking danger.
    I can stop my bike from for arguments sake 60mph to full stop very quickly but I never had to do it in an uncontrolled manner ie. Every day road driving.
    Had me few scares, fair is fair bikes are harder to see and all that. Best thing is
    1 get as much training as you can afford . Drive around doing whatever ya do in car .
    2. When you have enough money . Get more training.

Advertisement