Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New years eve in sydney

Options
  • 28-12-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend the best spot to catch the action NYE sydney?

Presume opera house area will be crazy...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The Rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

anywhere near bondi good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

The botanic gardens is where I am thinking of going. they have a free access area (which gets crowded and then when the kids fireworks are over at 9pm the place frees up a bit). There is a bar in there and no BYO apparently. Will have to see what happens with that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Anyone know what Observatory Park will be like? It's usually a nice secluded spot but might be rammed on the night.

Re Bondi, if you go up to South Head and go along the inner coast line you can catch beaches and parks with views all the way into the Harbour Bridge.

Re Bondi itself I'm staying the hell away after all the GAA and Irish soccer jerseys I saw there on Christmas day. Bloody embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

last year we went to circular quay and teh rocks area.

Biggest mistake EVER.

T=It literally was like a riot with the strongest jostling for position and the weakest being pulled out form the mobs in shock. Seriously I saw so many people battling to get put of the crowds as they were so bad and a few fainting and agrophobic seeming sufferers.

My mates and I actually stormed a gate that had fallen over preventing access to circular quay, amongst another large group of people storming the quay, adding to the woes inside.

After 5 minutes we were head to toe covered in sweat from pure body heat of teh mob and an Ozzie summers evening. It was messy, uncomfortable and above all unenjoyable. I would stronlgy recommend against it from my experience despite being a young group of fit guys we felt un easy and there is no way to enjoy a drink when your arms are pinned up against your side in a crowd !

Go some where EARLY grab a pitch of grass to sit on with an Esky and wait for the show to come to you, do it that way....the Ozzie way

Dont try to rush down to the rocks or the opera house etc an hour befiore hand !! You wont see any Sydney Siders on the streets in the mobs !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

ended up at rushcutters bay and chilled out there and had beers and all that, was good fun but i am sure paying for it today. my head is not good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

chris85 wrote: »
    ended up at rushcutters bay and chilled out there and had beers and all that, was good fun but i am sure paying for it today. my head is not good

Yeah I ended up there too, had a great view and great laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Re Bondi itself I'm staying the hell away after all the GAA and Irish soccer jerseys I saw there on Christmas day. Bloody embarrassment.

Lol.

Really :rolleyes: Im sure you were missed this time around.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I went to Hyde Park, right beside the door of the botanic gardens. There was people queuing the whole day for the botanical gardens. like from nearly 6am! Mental! We sat outside up on the hill and had an almost perfect view of the bridge and fireworks. was excellent!

Advertisement