Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violent Wexford town

Options
  • 28-12-2008 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else becoming increasingly on edge going out in Wexford town these days? I'm living up in Dublin going to college these days, which is obviously quite violent itself, especially where I'm living. That is to be expected really. However, my family home is about 20 minutes outside Wexford town and lately whenever I come back down and go out, especially in town (which is rare as it's too much hassle and pretty crap anyway) there seems to be some incident.

Couple of times I've been started on by a gang of drunk scangers, one of the times I was joking around with him and he used it as an excuse to get extremely aggressive and the other time they just came out of nowhere and started on a friend and myself. But most nights you see some fighting.

The Centenary Stores is probably the worst lately. Every night there are Gardaí waiting outside, and they always make a few arrests. Was out there for Stephen's Night and just as we were going in some drunk lad who had been busking with a guitar was giving awful abuse to the bouncers. Gardaí showed up and after he gave them some abuse they promptly arrested him, at which point he started screaming about how they and the bouncers were worthless scum. What really struck me was that this sight didn't surprise me in Wexford.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Its like any major town/city, there will be violence and i think it has increased some what in recent years, but not majorly so, nothing i would be worried about, its generally just drunks having fights etc, if the gardai were worried about violence, it would be easily sorted, no extensions and the likes...

Maybe your just becoming older/wiser/sober! :D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Hi,

I think it has gotten worse in the past few years. I live in town, and used to walk home alone a couple years ago, but would never do that now. I don't think the Gardai are there because of expected trouble however - They seem to be more obviously on the streets for the past couple of years...during the day as well. A good thing IMO.

Agree with timmywex - it is usally just drunks.

However for the most part, I think its like any place - if you go looking for trouble you will find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

I was joking around with him and he used it as an excuse to get extremely aggressive

this might be the reason you were started on in the first place if you keep yourself to yourself you'll be fine no point in "joking around" and giving him an excuse in the first place the second incident is just random drunken stupidness i wouldnt be worried about it

p.s wasnt having a go at ye in the first incident just see it as a valid point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I can tell you that it's not a patch on Waterford for violence! I was out on Stephens night and after the nightclubs it was deadly around the taxi rank. Paddy wagons and cops everywhere and needed too. Waterford is atrociously rough at night, far worse than Wexford and I frequent both towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Personally I would prefer if the Gardai and courts treated these incidents more seriously, no one deserves abuse (be it verbal or physical) from some moron who cannot handle their beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Personally I would prefer if the Gardai and courts treated these incidents more seriously, no one deserves abuse (be it verbal or physical) from some moron who cannot handle their beer.

Totally agree well said. Wexford is getting increasingly violent. I heard three Gardi got a hiding by three scum bags who followed them back up to the station the other night, I dont know if this is true or not. Gob****es who cant handle their beer and who are coke'd up to the eyeballs. Was sitting in the argos carpark waiting to collect someone the night of the Leaving Cert results back in August when I saw one group of lads beat the **** out of an other group with women involved in the fighting also, some poor feckers brand new Audi A6 got the mirror broke off and windscreen broke and a good few dents from them fighting on top of it. All while the bouncers were standing there watching. Joke! When ever I go out the only ones I ever have a "fight" with are the bouncers most of them seem to look for trouble even winding people up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

All while the bouncers were standing there watching.
    Sorry to go off topic but if members of the public want to fight outside a pub or nightclub it's nothing to do with the bouncers. They are not responsible for public safety nor obliged to intervene.

No they are not but they should be. Publicians in the UK are responable for acts of anti-social behaviour or damage to property caused by thier pattrons which occur within a certain distance of their premises. If a fight breaks out outside of a club/pub in the UK the security staff must sort it out and call the police if an assault as taken place. If it happens in a country pub 9 times out of 10 the publican will step in, in fact I was in a country pub on new years eve when such an incident occured and have worked in pubs and have done so myself. If a few guys start squaring up to each other inside a pub and the bouncers eject them from the premises and they fight and break up some innocent persons car just out side the door well their attitude shouldnt be **** them its not our problem anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Wexford has always been like this. I used to work in a certain "high class" (ha) 4 star hotel just outside the town that used to have a big party every new years... Last year it was like the European boxing championships. Lots of blood and broken noses. Seemed to be the crowd who were either barred or know they wouldnt be let into the stores, Music Factory etc. Nice people.

You cant blame the guards for not acting either, as someone who worked a lot of late nights, and a few in the stores, i've seen them do a fair amount of work while taking more than a fair amount of abuse.

Wexford has always been like this. I used to work in a certain "high class" (ha) 4 star hotel just outside the town that used to have a big party every new years... Last year it was like the European boxing championships. Lots of blood and broken noses. Seemed to be the crowd who were either barred or know they wouldnt be let into the stores, Music Factory etc. Nice people.

You cant blame the guards for not acting either, as someone who worked a lot of late nights, and a few in the stores, i've seen them do a fair amount of work while taking more than a fair amount of abuse.

I agree the Gardi take alot of abuse, they should be given more power and a better way of protecting themselves be it cs gas, stun guns whatever. People should be affraid to cross the police in certain situations.

• Advertisement

I think the major point for the guards is, if they arrest and see the case to the courts, more the likely the guy gets off.

There is a hell of a lot of work for guards involved in processing a guy from arrest to the court case, and if they know that most of the people will get off with nothing, then its no wonder that they get disheartened / don't bother any more.

There needs to be a substantial (and IMHO social rather then criminal) punishment for drunk and disorderly behaviour / minor assault etc that guards know will stick in the majority of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Name and Shame.

Find out where they are from and post across the front of the local paper.

XXXXXX was arrested for being a muppet.

Then again they are that thick they'd probably rejoice in the fact that they got their names in the paper.

Singapore has the right idea, big bamboo stick. Whack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

The courts take a far too lenient view on drink related crime. I couldn't count the number of times I've read newspaper reports of solicitors pleading "He was drunk your Honour , he wouldn't have done it only for the drink", and another scumbag gets a slap on the wrist. IMO he should get double the sentence, one for whatever crime it was and one for allowing himself get into such a state where he didn't know what he was doing.
    Publicans have a lot to answer for too. I'm not a drinker but I have been in pubs with friends. At closing time the carry on is a disgrace, some barmen are out screaming and banging glasses telling people to get out while others are swilling out more and more drink and customers are falling over each other to get to the bar, absolute madness.
    I worked in the UK for years and at closing time the towels went on the pumps and nothing more was served. If you had any drink left in your glass 10 mins later, tough luck, it was taken down and thrown out and there was rarely any trouble outside pubs. They have, however, abandoned this procedure in recent years and now have similar problems to ours.

The bouncers are actually responsible for public order outside the nightclubs, within a certain distance, cant remember what said distance is however

The courts are useless at prosecuting drunken ehaviour, abuse and minor little assaults, the person will get off with a small fine if anything, thats why gardai dont bother alot of the time. Hours of work just for a small fine, and remember, they also have to find a cell for them, wexford only has 2, so your damm lucky to get one there(normally taken for more serious offences), usually they have to be transported to enniscortyh at least, taking 2/3 gardai off the streets at critical times

Id much prefer to see a prison van type thing parked down town, any drunks are brought to it and left in it to sober up, they are dealt with by way of a ticket in the morning, just like as speeding ticket(easy to issue, not too much work etc), if the crime is more serious, the courts should ban them from activitites, ban them from being in town after 9pm or the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Is anyone else becoming increasingly on edge going out in Wexford town these days? I'm living up in Dublin going to college these days, which is obviously quite violent itself, especially where I'm living. That is to be expected really. However, my family home is about 20 minutes outside Wexford town and lately whenever I come back down and go out, especially in town (which is rare as it's too much hassle and pretty crap anyway) there seems to be some incident.

Couple of times I've been started on by a gang of drunk scangers, one of the times I was joking around with him and he used it as an excuse to get extremely aggressive and the other time they just came out of nowhere and started on a friend and myself. But most nights you see some fighting.

The Centenary Stores is probably the worst lately. Every night there are Gardaí waiting outside, and they always make a few arrests. Was out there for Stephen's Night and just as we were going in some drunk lad who had been busking with a guitar was giving awful abuse to the bouncers. Gardaí showed up and after he gave them some abuse they promptly arrested him, at which point he started screaming about how they and the bouncers were worthless scum. What really struck me was that this sight didn't surprise me in Wexford.

What do you guys think?

I agree with you completely, Wexford town has got much more violent in recent times. in my opinion it is the fault of the courts, if they adopted a zero tolerance for violent attacks it would stem the tide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

timmywex wrote: »

Id much prefer to see a prison van type thing parked down town, any drunks are brought to it and left in it to sober up, they are dealt with by way of a ticket in the morning, just like as speeding ticket(easy to issue, not too much work etc), if the crime is more serious, the courts should ban them from activitites, ban them from being in town after 9pm or the likes

+1.

Absolutely brilliant idea. It just makes sense.

In fairness guys, I cant really see the Guards approving a van like that, fund wise i mean. As far as i can make out, their budget is stretched as it is.

I'd like to see the pubs and nightclubs take more responsibility for this - most places know the trouble makers - just dont serve them, full stop. The Stores is actually very good for this, they know who cause the most trouble in the place, so they just wont let those people in. I've refused to serve people before, but mainly because they've just been too drunk.

Thank god i aint in that business anymore!

I think the example last week of the three Gardai being attacked sums up the problem very well. What mind do you have to be in to proactively attack a guard - knowing that the reprocussions of your actions will be looked upon severely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

In fairness guys, I cant really see the Guards approving a van like that, fund wise i mean. As far as i can make out, their budget is stretched as it is.

Point taken. And obviously if you did put a group of drunks in a van together, it'd be messy. But what I liked about Timmy Wex's suggestion was the idea of issuing a ticket for being drunk and disorderly.

Defo, i think its a good idea too. It might not make everyone who does it to cop on to themselves, but i think it would wake up the people who genuinely have just drank too much.

But on the other hand, there are those out there, who when presented with a ticket for being locked, they'd just laugh at the guard. Its trying to sort out these people who seem to cause the most problems seems to be a bit harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

everywhere's rough no point pointing out here and there,where there's drink and people your gonna get hassle. the orphan girl there out of gorey in ballymoney on stephens nite a guy had his face kicked in,broken jaw and all that,three knifeings I think it was at meadowlands in bunclody around the same time,meadowlands is very bad for fights,****in hick knackers starting on everyone,but anyway everywheres bad you just gotta watch your back

• Advertisement

Chaosangel wrote: »
    three knifeings I think it was at meadowlands in bunclody around the same time

Source? I can fairly much guarantee you that there wasn't any stabbings

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

the Gorey Guardian mate,I cant say I keep all the papers so you'll have to take me word on it,but in it was the mention of that out in Bunclody and in Gorey at the Orphan,I was at the Orphan and it did happen,I was out at Meadowlands or M2 as it is now with a mate ages ago,beach party themed nite was great crack but the fights after people were knocking eachother senseless

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Stephens night in bunclody, knackers from Bray apparently.

Advertisement