Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need a working visa???

Options
  • 28-12-2008 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I'm a second year 3rd level student my Mam is from Belfast and my Dad from Dublin i have an irish passport, i can get a UK passport if i want one as my mam was born in the "UK" (Belfast). if i have a British passport do i still need a working visa to work in Canada for the summer as Canada is some connection with UK and someone told me i don't need one. Any one know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

No you can get an unemployed visa :pac:

(sorry for the shíte joke. I realise I've been no help whatsoever. PS. Whats up with your name?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Granny Lover

phenomenon wrote: »
    No you can get an unemployed visa :pac:

(sorry for the shíte joke. I realise I've been no help whatsoever. PS. Whats up with your name?)

hahaha yeah THANKS!! so much help :pac: on was in college trying to think of a name. had watched american pie the wedding about a hour before so just came up with that i know, weird

lack of names going through my head so had watched american pie the wedding and got that name from that:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

Why don't you go for the J1 visa and join the rest of the Irish college student population in the USA? You can even apply online though I think the deadline is approaching. You'll need to go to some nuisance of an interview in the American embassy too. I'm sure your student union can give you more info.

You don't hear of many students spending their summer in Canada weirdly. I guess it doesn't have the "beach culture" of California or Florida.

Why don't you go for the J1 visa and join the rest of the Irish college student population in the USA? You can even apply online though I think the deadline is approaching. You'll need to go to some nuisance of an interview in the American embassy too. I'm sure your student union can give you more info.

You don't hear of many students spending their summer in Canada weirdly. I guess it doesn't have the "beach culture" of California or Florida.

Want to go because people are much nicer there its cheaper drinking age is only 19 know family over there too that i haven't seen in a while and its really hot there in summer

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

As I already told you in your other thread.

Yes, you need a working visa, assuming you want to work.

As I already told you in your other thread.

Yes, you need a working visa, assuming you want to work.

ok cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If Canada is still part of the Commonwealth(which I think it is) it should be a little more straightforward with a British passport.

ninty9er wrote: »
    If Canada is still part of the Commonwealth(which I think it is) it should be a little more straightforward with a British passport.

yeah thats what i though,:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Even with an Irish passport you can get a 1 year working Visa for Canada if you're under 35. I'm contemplating doing it next year.

http://canada.usit.ie/nonstudent_programme_2009/

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    Even with an Irish passport you can get a 1 year working Visa for Canada if you're under 35. I'm contemplating doing it next year.

http://canada.usit.ie/nonstudent_programme_2009/

i know that but i want to know if i need one at all or if i do how much is it or is it free?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You do need one, it's not free, it will cost a few hundred.

Everything you were told about holding a UK passport, forget about it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Posting a query online: Free
    Flights to Canada: 540
    Getting a job: 72

Somethings money cant buy, for everything else theres Visa.....oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Yeah you'll need a visa. British passport or not. They are straightforward to get though. Just have a look here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

i know that but i want to know if i need one at all or if i do how much is it or is it free?

Read the page I linked to, it's all there. Yes, you need one and it'll cost you a few hundred euro for the application.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Why the fuck do you want to go to Canada, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lost_soul

Canada is full of Irish students during the summer! You can't walk down the street without bumping into someone you know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Why the fuck do you want to go to Canada, eh?

Because it's awesome. I'm in same position as OP but I'm hoping to go in a month or two. Look into their student working programs but if you're only going for the summer, I know a lot of people who went over and got paid under the table.

Where you planning on going? Vancouver is meant to be a great city and you'll probably find a lot of Irish there.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I spent a good bit of time in British Columbia. Stayed in Vancouver mainly, but went to Whistler, Banff and others. Lovely area. Great as a tourist. Loads of Irish there!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Wrong forum, and you posted the thread in another forum. Don't pot for traffic. Read the charter before posting again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement