Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Retail

Options
  • 28-12-2008 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,282 ✭✭✭✭

There isn't a cinema within 100 miles of Daytona Beach playing Frost/Nixon. This is the same bullsh!t that happened when Sicko came out. Because we all need to have 2 screens per cinema to watch Marley and Me.

I'm just quite sick of it. I don't need Regal to moderate what films I want to see. There used to be a ma and pa cinema by the Speedway that was there when F-9/11 came out, and that screening was packed. People including me were sitting on the floor to get in to watch it. The only screen for 200 miles. Too bad that cinema has been run into the ground by an aggressive Regal expansion.

/rant

http://www.tomflocco.com/fs/Fahrenheit911.htm It was a well publicized complaint at the time

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Is Frost/Nixon an independent production? Maybe they just don't have the licencing done for the major chains?

NTM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Several Regal-Edwards showing Frost-Nixon in So Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Maybe the movie is just bad, and nobody wants to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Maybe the movie is just bad, and nobody wants to see it.

80% on Metacritic and generally positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, and since when has popularity had anything to do with quality?

I’ve heard otherwise, but yeah the liberal Hollywood elite, including their critics (also referred to as Rotten Apples), think it’s probably Howard’s best film.

And popularity has everything to do with movies. Nobody is going to make a “quality” film if it doesn’t make money... And popularity generates money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Yeah, heaven forbid that people who spend years studying the art of film might know what they're talking about. Though I did have a bet with myself that the words 'liberal elite' would make their way into your reply. Well done.

As to your other point: firstly, for someone who believes in the 'liberal Hollywood elite', your post suggests that you're unaware films are being made elsewhere, where budgets aren't so high, but profit isn't such a big concern; secondly, it doesn't account for trash like The DaVinci Code doing so well I'm the box office - popularity there, but no danger of quality; thirdly, while there is a correlation between projected popularity and a film being greenlighted, strenuous controls by the studios over high-budget films almost invariably end in a decrease in artistic quality if not just a rambling mess, in order to appeal to larger audiences.

Glad I was able to help you win your bet… with yourself?? :confused: ??

Yeah, I’m aware that quality films are still made (the Sundance channel here is one of my favorites). But the original point had to do with US MOVIE THEATERS… so we’re talking about Hollywood. And even you must agree there is a whole different culture originating there (which would best be described as the Liberal Hollywood Elite), and it has little to do these days with the likes of Wilder, Lang, Preminger, Siodmak or Tourneur.

And I’ll stop using the term “liberal elite” when someone other than me protests to the term "neo-con" being bandied about in a negative manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,282 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is Frost/Nixon an independent production? Maybe they just don't have the licencing done for the major chains?

NTM
    Distibuted by Universal Studios and Directed by Ron Howard and Nominated for 5 Golden Globes - a AAA Production. Regal would have had to refused them.

Currently being shown in only 205 Theatres nationwide: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
    NYTimes wrote:
    Among the leaders in the prize race, “Frost/Nixon,” directed by Ron Howard and released by Universal, took in $1.5 million for the three days and $1.9 million since Christmas for a total of $3.7 million to date. The film is playing in just over 200 theaters, in the country’s 50 largest markets.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/29/movies/29box.html?hp

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Fair enough, though there is always the question of whether or not in your neck of the woods the demographics warrant the expenditure of getting the license to show in that cinema. What plays well and popularly in SoCal need not necessarily be the case in Florida, especially when the movie in question is so political.
    Ultimately, Regal are out to make a buck, not work for the common good of entertainment (Unless the two coincide).

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 83,282 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

thats the thing, the demographic is here http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/individual/#mapPFL

Volusia and Flagler were fairly tight, but is enough that its gross to be stonewalling a film.

I think Ben Stiller put it best:
    "Thats the problem with American Theatre. 'Don't make me think! I just want to be entertained'."

Its the same thing in Osceola County (Orlando) a Major metropolitan - Not One showing of it. Though "W" is still showing at a few screens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement