Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TNA Genesis (Spoilers)

• 28-12-2008 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

MICK FOLEY RETURNS TO THE RING - 6 MAN WAR
    Mick Foley, AJ Styles & Brother Devon vs. Legends Champion Booker T, Kevin Nash and "Big Poppa Pump" Scott Steiner

genesis1.jpg

TNA WORLD HEAVWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
    "The War Machine" Rhino vs. champion "The Icon" Sting

genesis3.jpg

GRUDGE MATCH - RETURN BOUT
    Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle vs. TNA Founder Jeff Jarrett

genesis2.jpg

TNA KNOCKOUT CHAMPIONSHIP: LUMBERJACK MATCH
    Christy Hemme vs. champion Awesome Kong
    With the other TNA Knockouts surrounding the ring

THE FINALS OF THE X DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT
    One X Division superstar will leave Genesis as the new champion
    Chris Sabin vs. Alex Shelley/Eric Young

tourney2.jpg

More matches will be announced on next Thursday's "iMPACT!"

TNA: Post Impact Update For December 25
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avu4DAQR

They did well holding off the Angle/Jarrett rematch for 3 months.
    http://www.tnawrestling.com/content/view/156/84/

UPDATE ON THE ONGOING X DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT

On Thursday's "iMPACT!", the X Division Tournament continued, to crown a new champion.

The finals are scheduled to take place on Sunday, January 11 at the "Genesis" Pay-Per-View event, where one superstar will walk out the new titleholder.

The current results are as follows:

QUARTERFINALS:
    Eric Young def. Sheik Abdul Bashir
    Alex Shelley def. "Black Machismo" Jay Lethal
    Chris Sabin def. "The Guru" Sonjay Dutt
    Kiyoshi def. Consequences Creed

SEMIFINALS:
    Chris Sabin def. Kiyoshi - Sabin advances to the finals at the Genesis PPV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭rizzla

Not liking the card at all. I think Morgan and Abyss vs. Beer Money will be on the card too.

Can't believe they went a week without mentioning the Feast or Fired winners, keep it fresh in the fans mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SASR

Ah it's looking decent enough.

^ And yup, I'd actually completely forgotten about Feast Or Fired until you mentioned it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

rizzla wrote: »
    Not liking the card at all.

Why? It has the TNA in-ring debut of Foley, the long awaited rematch of Angle and Jarrett and Sabin vs. either EY or Shelley which will be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Why? It has the TNA in-ring debut of Foley

In a six-man tag. What's he gonna be able to do? His strengths were always about making the fans care for him. That's harder to do when he's got two other supposedly top guys helping him out in a fight
    the long awaited rematch of Angle and Jarrett

Long awaited by who? :confused: There aren't that many Jarrett fans around

How did Kiyoshi get into that tournament above some of the top ten contenders for that title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm hoping for a Sabin Shelley final in the X Division tourney. It would be a class match.

On the Feast or Fired, doesn't Jay Lethal get a tag title shot? It looked like he was going to go with CC so I imagine they'll put that match on the card.

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    In a six-man tag. What's he gonna be able to do? His strengths were always about making the fans care for him. That's harder to do when he's got two other supposedly top guys helping him out in a fight

Long awaited by who? :confused: There aren't that many Jarrett fans around

How did Kiyoshi get into that tournament above some of the top ten contenders for that title?

How about help make the Front Line more cared about than the MEM. I'm a Jarrett fan.:) I would have thought those rankings were to be used to get a shot at the X-Division champion, now that there is none they have become redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Just saw the lineup for future TNA shows and interestingly enough it said this

"Alex Shelley of Motor City Machineguns"

Specifically no mention of Chris Sabin which possibly could mean the start of a split angle at the Genesis ppv this Sunday over the x division title , just an observation it could very well mean nothing but the lineup was originally supposed to include the Motorcity Machine Guns not just Shelley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If TNA split the MCMG for the X division title of all things without having them feud with Beer Money they are fools.

In regards to the card, it's such a waste to have Foley's big in ring return in a 6 man tag, especially on a card that should do well because of the blowoff Jarret vs. Angle match. Also, seeing as it has Steiner, Nash and Devon in it the match will blow and people will assume Foley's lost it. If they put him in with Angle at the next PPV, they could have tricked people into thinking Foley still had something in the ring on the basis of Angle's brilliance.

I'm looking forward to Sting vs. Rhino mainly because I like Rhino and there could be a double turn though I've taken a step back from the storyline.

Lumberjill match=balls

X division will be good as long as Eric Young loses his semi but then they'll break up the guns so it's lose lose.

Beer Money vs. Abyss and Morgan was bad the first time, I have no interest in seeing it the tenth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Foley has an awsome mind when it comes to creating a story with passion and professionalism, so if he is involved in this direction in any way then i expect there is a decent reason behind this 6 man match.

If he has had no say in it then im with you bubs, i see it as being another TNA misuse of another wrestler acquirement.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    especially on a card that should do well because of the blowoff Jarret vs. Angle match. Also, seeing as it has Steiner, Nash and Devon in it the match will blow and people will assume Foley's lost it.

I don't see this as being the blow off match between Angle and Jarrett, I'd say Angle to win to set up the rubber match. Both Devon and Nash did well last month and Nash seems more motivated (he's working some house shows). As for Steiner, you don't know what your going to get, he had a great match with Petey Williams early last year but since coming back from injury he's looking increasingly immobile.

• Advertisement

TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
    "The War Machine" Rhino vs. (c) "The Icon" Sting

genesis3.jpg

THE REMATCH
    TNA Founder Jeff Jarrett vs. Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle

genesis2.jpg

MICK FOLEY'S IN-RING RETURN
    Mick Foley, AJ Styles & Brother Devon vs. Legends Champion Booker T, Kevin Nash and "Big Poppa Pump" Scott Steiner

foleygen.jpg

TNA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH
    Beer Money vs. Abyss & Matt Morgan vs. (c) Jay Lethal & Consequences Creed

tagtitle.jpg

TOURNAMENT FINAL TO CROWN A NEW X CHAMPION
    Chris Sabin vs. Alex Shelley

tourny3.jpg
    xtitle.jpg

TNA KNOCKOUT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - LUMBERJACK MATCH
    To Be Determined vs. (c) Awesome Kong

GRUDGE MATCH
    Referee Shane Sewell vs. Sheik Abdul Bashir

TNA: Jarrett & Foley's Words For Main Event Mafia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfU8VxNIp0U

TNA: Video Preview Of Sunday's Genesis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQV4Y2k2XFA

This is a PPV that I'm really looking forward to, the above Jarrett and Foley promos are excellent and iMPACT! was great with BG James and Angle having a very good match. I liked how they slowly built the Bashir/Sewell story and I'm interested in seeing how good he is (he didn't look bad in his brief glimpses.)

http://www.tnawrestling.com/content/view/1246/84/
    CHRISTY HEMME INJURED: UNABLE TO COMPETE THIS SUNDAY AT "GENESIS"

TNAwrestling.com has learned that Christy Hemme has sustained a neck injury while training in the ring with AJ Styles for Sunday's Women's Championship match.

According to TNA officials, Hemme will be unable to compete at "Genesis" against Awesome Kong.

Unfortunately, her injury will require surgery and she will be out of action for an undetermined amount of time.

On Sunday, TNA Management Director Jim Cornette will name a replacement to face Kong for the Women's Championship.

Everyone at TNA wishes Christy all the best and we will certainly update fans on her condition as we learn more information.

It's unfortunate, she was really improving and starting to get over. I'm interested in who will replace her.

Shelley vs. Sabin should be excellent, the first Angle/Jarrett match was brilliant and this one should be no different. Sting has had a pretty good reign so far, him and Rhino should be cool and of course the return of Mick Foley.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea im also looking forward to the ppv. Its a pity about Hemme id say they will just throw Roxxi in to get destroyed by Kong. Shelly/Sabin should be a really good match and im looking forward to the Sting/Rhino match aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Yea im also looking forward to the ppv. Its a pity about Hemme id say they will just throw Roxxi in to get destroyed by Kong. Shelly/Sabin should be a really good match and im looking forward to the Sting/Rhino match aswell.

Now that you mention it Kong/Roxi could be really good.

Now that you mention it Kong/Roxi could be really good.

They had a short but good match after Lockdown last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

They had a short but good match after Lockdown last year.

Wasn't Lockdown a tag between Kong/Melissa vs. Gail Kim and some other chick?

Wasn't Lockdown a tag between Kong/Melissa vs. Gail Kim and some other chick?

It was the iMPACT! after Lockdown when Roxxi won Queen of the Cage and Kim's partner was ODB.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/article.php?articleid=233709483

Apparently added to the card: LAX, Eric Young and Shark Boy vs. Rock 'N' Rave Infection, Cute Kip and Kiyoshi in an 8 Man Elimination Tag match.

source: PWInsider.com

TNA sources insist Christy Hemme's neck injury is legitimate and not an angle. Taylor Wilde will likely be her replacement at tonight's pay-per-view in the title match against Awesome Kong. However, Hemme appeared at the K&S Wrestlefest wrestling convention in New Jersey yesterday in good spirits and showing no sign of injury

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

Since Christy and Kong are both injured, they've scrapped the title bout altogether and instead added Taylor Wilde, Roxxi, and ODB vs. Raisha Saeed, Rhacka Khan, and Sojourner Bolt. The woman who gets the winning fall will get a title shot at Kong when she returns.

According to PW Insider Nash is really in a Charlotte hospital with a severe staph infection which could be blood poisoning they say there is alot of concern backstage for him as its quite serious

The Rhyno angle is a work I reckon Sting will be added to the tag match and there will be no Heavyweight title match as that was filler really anyway

Someone in TNA must have broken a mirror as things are going pretty wrong and for once its not their doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

my take on last night

very decent opening as you would expect given the talent on show, hernandez is a star now and tna should push him accordingly, a big man that has talent and lots of it. if i was tna i would be worried about vince stealing him though, it seems a given that he will be poking his nose around looking at the big guy sooner or later :(

sabin and shelley was a great match let down by a weak finish, finish aside both men pulled out all the stops in this one and just tore the house down with big move after big move. as don west said in commentary, this is what the x-division needed :)

bashir and Sewell shouldn't have been on ppv, i couldn't get into this at all, no heat, reminded me of davaris match with Mandrake in Iww in june last

womens match was a complete mess, botch after botch. they should have gone for something different maybe a fatal six way or something

the match for the tag title was enjoyable, very impressed with morgan especially who pulled off some big moves, disappointed that lethal/creed lose titles straight away though

angle/jarrett great match. this really should have been main event. Jeff attempts suicide dive but doesn't really connect, don wests commentary really annoying in this match especially when both wrestlers are next to the announcers table. JJ kicks out of angle slam and escapes ankle lock, back and forward great stuff, then another lame enough finish but then angle goes mental on jarrett. i didn't think jarrett could still go but i was wrong.

Sting and Rhino was a match you see on impact every week, sting wins easy

no nash so they get billy gunn (i mean cute kip :P) to replace him, that went down like a fart in church with the live crowd and those watching on tv i suspect. first part of the match is a trainwreck and everyone is counted out :mad: cornette and foley restart the match and thank god for that, second part is much better, styles with an amazing table bump and foley picks up the pin

overall an decent ppv and better than last months offering. two excellent matches, good opening and a good tag match.

I found it to be still quite good besides what went wrong, I think they had something else planned when they did the Rhyno angle then they just did the match as it pretty much would have gone anyway besides some added Rhyno selling

Jarrett and Angle told a good story and was brutal as it should have been

Shelley and Sabin was a good match and the finish i thought was fitting for the start of the end as such

Bashir/Sewell was well built and wasnt a bad match but the crowd were killed by the announcements about Rhino and Nash etc

Didnt like the Main Event as it was quite the mess and AJ Styles deserves better 4 participants havnt got much left in the tank so it was never going to be epic

I think Kip was the last wrestler left in the building who was a heel and wasnt used,terrible replacement but you cant handicap a heel team in the booking, They tried to get him over fast but it wasnt happening, even if he wasnt past it the last few months as a fashionist cant be forgotten just by saying I'm better than my Cute Kip gimmick

Enjoyable but could have been better and much of it was outside their control, granted the panic booking didnt help, but still in the end a pretty good pay per view with a couple of great matches and a few good ones to boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

From what I heard it was effectively a **** sandwich. Two great matches filled with 5 or so average turds. Will definitely be checking the Angle and MCMG matches out. Nash no showing was no surprise. Staff infection my ass, more likely he didn't want to lose on PPV. As for Kute Cip, he is a tag legend so there are worse replacements. The tag match seems like an absolute joke though. Heels outnumbered 2-1 and a title switch 3 days after the last one with no build for either. Pointless.

It was a good show but the injuries really hurt it. Jarrett/Angle had one of the best brawls in recent memory, tons of emotion, great story and an excellent match. Anybody who says Jarrett can't wrestle or doesn't deserve his spot just watch this and try to justify that argument. The finish to me was a logical choice. Angle caught Jarrett with a roll up this time and at Bound For Glory Jarrett beat Angle with the help of Foley. There hasn't been a true decisive winner and they should leave the rubber match for Lockdown and have it in the Six Sides of Steel. The Olympic Slam off the stage was cool and the DDT on the stage and ring bell shot looked really stiff. I thought the way Mike Tenay sold the post match ankle attack was excellent, he really did look pissed off.

A lot of the undercard was good, the Tag title match was good but was hurt by the lack of crowd reaction, same with Bashir/Sewell good to see Beer money regain the titles, it's bad on Creed and Lethal but judging by the reaction poor Lethal and Creed got last night it was the right decision and Beer Money are the right guys for the titles.

Shelley against Sabin was excellent and the split of the Guns seems inevitable by now but that title match was superb, the finish works with the angle of a potential split down the line.

Konckouts match was meh, opener was a good, fun match with Henandez looking strong.

I have no idea where they were going with the Rhino thing, perhaps they were trying to get some sympathy from the crowd who weren't going to boo Sting, it was an alright match and the main event was good enough if a little sloppy. Foley didn't really do anything on the good or bad side of things, we'll see in his first singles match. Cute Kip was really the last heel standing, I thought they would have put Sting in and kept Rhino out and dropped the World title match but they may not have filled the time if they went that way.

Overall, it was a good show, all things considered injury wise, with an excellent, stand out match and a great X-Division title match.

Against All Odds Predictions:
    Kurt Angle vs. Mick Foley
    AJ Styles vs. Sting
    Beer Money vs. Lethal Consequences
    Joe vs. Steiner
    Sewell vs. Booker
    Morgan vs. Abyss

Some pictures form Genesis from TNAWrestling.com:

IMG_9525_1.jpg

IMG_1264_1.jpg

IMG_1332_1.jpg

IMG_0523_1.jpg

IMG_0050_1.jpg

Apparently Sting has been having trouble with his knee's so the whole Rhino been attacked let the match be quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just watced it there. Pretty good PPV. My expectatons where low to begin with, which made it more enjoyable.

Really liked the Angle/Jarrett match and Shelley/Sabin.

I thought Booker when introducing the replacement should have given a Wooo, get the fans going crazy a lil then Kip to come out. Would have gotten them some boo's rather than silence.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Nash no showing was no surprise. Staff infection my ass, more likely he didn't want to lose on PPV.

I believe he's had surgery on this Staph Infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

What the F*CK is Billy Gunn doing in the main Event of a PPV in 2009?

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    What the F*CK is Billy Gunn doing in the main Event of a PPV in 2009?

He was the best heel on hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just seen this at the weekend and thought it was absolutely brutal. The main event was a complete cluster. I do not want to see Mick Foley "wrestle". Ever. What use had Billy Gunn as a member of the Main Event Mafia. He has no place main evevnting now, he had no place main eventing ever. Hence the reason he was never pushed to the top in WWE after he won King Of The Ring.

On the plus side, Shelley and Sabin was utterly predictable. Predictable in so far as it could only have been a top notch effort.

I have been watching alot more TNA lately, and felt they were getting things a bit more right - this ppv was a step backwards for them. Not to worry though.

Advertisement