Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porsche 911 respray

• 28-12-2008 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭

Im looking to get some ideas of costs and who in Dublin (Lucan area) would respray a 1974 911 cabriolet currently white to either red\blue\black I haven't fully decided on the colour
    The car has had a 964 body upgrade and I am also looking to have the interior re trimmed

A one stop shop that would do everything would be good kind of like a pimp my ride setup:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭mountain

hi,

try Bob Heaton at Classic Motor Works in Bandon, Co Cork,

i know its not in Dublin, but he does nothing but classic, vintage cars and tractors, if nothing else have a chat with him anyhow.

http://www.classicmotorscork.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Yep,paint is usually the cheapest part,it all depends if you are going back to bare metal or not,thats when the labour charges rack up.Best advice i can give is spend as much as you can afford,and the prep work is the key,my datsun has a million dollar paint job,but whoever preped the car would want a kicking,it wasnt good enough at all,and for me to redo the patches that need redoing and match the paint now will be a real problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

The only thing that €1500 will get you is a few layers of paint. You need to spend money ensuring that what the paint goes onto is sound, straight and rust free. IMO you'd need to spend twice that because the only way to ensure the above is to have all paint removed.

More than likely you will come accross many areas that need to be repaired properly first. You could be lucky though but I would budget for a lot more, and thats just the bodywork.

I have been through this before with a few cars and thats usually how it goes !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭mustang68

(Hijacking thread)

So can anyone recommend a painter in the Dublin (or even meath, because I'm out Dublin west way) that has a booth and would tell you what needs doing, as it seems that the best way is to strip the car down yourself, saving a load a labour costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bmoregan

If you're Lucan/Deblin West give Clandillon Motors a call in Celbridge. He's been helping me keep my 1971 Jag on the road for the last 8 years and he won't bulls$$t you. If the body needs doing before the respray he'll tell you and he has guys who will do a proper job on older cars.

I know the porsche is smaller than a Jag saloon but unless the body is already tip-top 2k will only get you started (sorry - but as I'm sure you're aware; for classic ownership only optimists need apply !).

01-6275842 if you're interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 panelb/sprayer

if you want a job of a full respray i am your man..... im a panel beater and sprayer by trade and have done plenty of work on cars and classic cars ect.if you want me to chat to me here is my email <removed>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

if you want a job of a full respray i am your man..... im a panel beater and sprayer by trade and have done plenty of work on cars and classic cars ect.if you want me to chat to me here is my email <removed>

stop pimping your business or you will be shown the door, final warning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Merl1n wrote: »
    Im looking to get some ideas of costs and who in Dublin (Lucan area) would respray a 1974 911 cabriolet currently white to either red\blue\black I haven't fully decided on the colour
    The car has had a 964 body upgrade and I am also looking to have the interior re trimmed

A one stop shop that would do everything would be good kind of like a pimp my ride setup:)

I presume you mean Targa rather than cabriolet?

Firstly, changing colour and doing it correctly is expensive ie. it's a complete strip down, where no doubt it's very possible loads of repairs will seen to be required. Early Porsche's were rust prone.

If you go this road I advise you delete the 964 kit, stick with the original colour or a 911 colour of the same era if you want car to be far more valuable.

Anybody that offers to do a respray for €1500 avoid. A complete professional respray would cost in the region of, depending on repairs required €5-€7,500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 panelb/sprayer

well you see im a person that is very compassion with my work so i ask for what i think is the best price for my self as well as the customer you and i win both ways. in my opion from a beetel to a muscle car ur takin from 1,000 euro to 8,ooo euro and that is a proper job done to the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

well you see im a person that is very compassion with my work so i ask for what i think is the best price for my self as well as the customer you and i win both ways. in my opion from a beetel to a muscle car ur takin from 1,000 euro to 8,ooo euro and that is a proper job done to the car.

Dustpuppy, is that you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement