Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many of you shopped up north this Xmas

Options
  • 28-12-2008 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Be interesting to see how many here on the boards done most of their Xmas shopping up north.

How many of you shopped up north this Xmas 202 votes

All my grocery shopping was done up north
    0% 0 votes
    All my grocery shopping was done in the south
    7% 16 votes
    My grocery shopping was a mix of north and south
    9% 19 votes
    Majority of bady & toiletries purchased up north
    6% 13 votes
    Majority bady & toiletries purchased in the south
    6% 14 votes
    Majority of electrical goods purchased up north
    4% 9 votes
    Majority of electrical goods purchased in the south
    10% 21 votes
    Majority of toys purchased up north
    3% 7 votes
    Majority of toys purchased in the south
    5% 12 votes
    Majority of alcohol purchased up north
    4% 10 votes
    Majority of alcohol purchased in the south
    15% 31 votes
    I will continue to shop up north
    5% 11 votes
    Here in the south is a ripoff
    19% 39 votes

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I did no shopping up the north, due to lack of organization and time unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Didn't touch the North at all, but I did order much, much more online from amazon, eBay etc, due to preferable exchange rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Did a ton of alcohol shopping up north

nearly all grocery was done up north

and went to london for a few suitcases of clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

in one week in mid December we went to Armagh bought a new car , did all the alchohol shopping , loads of grocery shopping and stopped off in Belfast to do all the toy shopping.

Not a penny of my hard earned christmas money went to the greedy rip off southern shops and we saved an absolute mint in that one day well over €7,000:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I don't care what FF or retailers say, we are been ripped off something serious here, so I decided to do the patriotic thing and that was to look after my family and myself, so I now shop up north.
    Near everything I got this Christmas, be it from food, drink, clothes, toys, electrics etc.. where purchased up north. The difference in price is just unreal, especially on electrical goods, going up north this Christmas has saved me well over a €1000.

Like the way my local Dunnes has blacked out/removed sterling prices, as if that will stop people going up north, they must think people are idiots :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Went up north on crimbo morning to see my folks and filled the car to the brim with groceries booze and clothes from the sales on Boxing day......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd never do grocery shopping up north.
    You need a car for all these things and I'd say that's a factor for a lot of people who don't go

Sure most people might have a family car or someone that can organize something with but not everyone.
    miju wrote: »
    in one week in mid December we went to Armagh bought a new car ,

I think I need to follow your example! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Must be a hard, lonely existence, to travel all that distance, spend all that time up north just to buy cheap booze. Worse still bring it all back home and spend all that time indoors drinking it! How sad is that?

Anyways, it's apparently someone's life, don't care how much was saved or how little it costs, it's a miserable life and all those bargain hunters are welcome to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Must be a hard, lonely existence, to travel all that distance, spend all that time up north just to buy cheap booze. Worse still bring it all back home and spend all that time indoors drinking it! How sad is that?

Anyways, it's apparently someone's life, don't care how much was saved or how little it costs, it's a miserable life and all those bargain hunters are welcome to it!!

some one needs a hug Ahhh there you go you will feel better soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Must be a hard, lonely existence, to travel all that distance

All what distance? Its an hour up the motorway
    spend all that time up north just to buy cheap booze.

All what time? Does it take longer to do your shopping up north than it does down south?
    Worse still bring it all back home and spend all that time indoors drinking it! How sad is that?

ridiculous and irrelevant statement

its a miserable life to do a little extra driving to save 40%+ on all spending - spending which you would have had to do down here anyway????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Ah yes, all my shopping was done in the north and it will continue to be the case so long as the prices down here remain as they are. I won't spend a red cent in the south. Why should I? Where are the cuts in TD's salaries? Where are the cuts in the civil service? etc etc.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

What type of statement is that :confused: , you must of had one too many cheap bottles of northern beer :p

For me going up north is a 15 minute drive, I don't drink and I like to get value for my money and rather not waste/give my hard earned money to robbing retailers here in the south. If they go out of business it's their own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

everything outside the country wherever and whenever possible, mostly in the north, or else online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Says a guy who probably shops in M&S and eats beans on toast for the week!
    By the way what outlet do you own ;)

I could spend 5 hours between travel and shopping and save 200 notes, a breakdown of 40 an hour is well paid time, dont you think? :)

If Mr Cowen is so worried about the country why doesnt he take a paycut from his 5 odd grand a week salary to the average industrial wage like every1 else!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

Been shopping in NI on and off for the last 2 years, mainly in Derry and Coleraine. Bit far for a one day trip though as we live in Clare, so next week we're gonna try out Enniskillen which isn't quite as far as Derry.
    Well worth going up north and it makes you cry when you compare the prices. What things do I buy up north?
    Wine (3 for £10 in Asda), real ales and organic cider, food and household items, the £ shops offer incredible value and are much bigger and better than the 2 Euro shops here, electrical goods, appliances, computer accessories.
    Computers and laptops are much cheaper there too, but I have enough of them at present:p
    Clothes aren't really much cheaper, but then I'm not a fashion victim. I like TK Maxx shops up north as they don't appear to be as "stripped" as the few we have in the Republic.
    Games (PS2/3, Wii etc.) are also much cheaper, so are many CDs and DVDs including box sets.
    I also buy books in NI and the UK mainland as you can get them for a fraction of the price that we pay here. To be honest with you, I NEVER buy new books in the Republic, only 2nd hand ones.
    Have I forgotten anything? Don't know, but in my opinion it's well worth shopping in NI even when you include the cost of getting there. It's a nice day out too and if you want to stay overnight, there's plenty of cheap hotel bargains available online.

Advertisement