Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage refugee stabbed to death

Options
  • 28-12-2008 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.ie.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=12269150
    A teenager has died following an incident at a refugee centre in Limerick.
    A teenager has died following an incident at a refugee centre in Limerick.
    The 17-year-old male, who is understood to be of African origin, received a number of stab wounds during the incident which occurred at the centre on Sarsfield Street at 2.15pm.
    He was taken to the Mid Western Regional Hospital where he died a short time later.
    An 18-year-old man has been arrested and is being questioned by gardaí at Henry Street Garda Station.
    He has been detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act and can be held for up to 24 hours.
    A post mortem on the body of the dead teenager is expected to be carried out tomorrow.
    Gardaí have begun an investigation in the circumstances of the young man’s death.
    oh dear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I saw all the guards and ambulance on sarsfield street yesterday. I was wondering what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what does that oh dear mean zuroph? >:-|

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I thought something worse had happened until I heard the news then I thought it was a bit of overkill with the amount of Emergency services there.

There were 7 Garda cars and 4 ambulances. They loaded one boy up and 3 of them raced off up O'Connell Street.

I knew the hotel had turned into an asylum centre and when I saw the amount of services there I thought they had all attacked each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

poor chap. Hope murderer gets killed himself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Berty wrote: »
    I thought something worse had happened until I heard the news then I thought it was a bit of overkill with the amount of Emergency services there.

There were 7 Garda cars and 4 ambulances. They loaded one boy up and 3 of them raced off up O'Connell Street.

I knew the hotel had turned into an asylum centre and when I saw the amount of services there I thought they had all attacked each other.

Are you for real??? you thought something worse than MURDER happened??? someone lost their life there, and the number of emergency services there would be about right, maybe the ambulances was large, however you can be sure than every ambo in there was fighting to save the poor guy's life, as for the gardai, 7 cars = 14 Gardai, 3 cars obviously raced off looking for the murderer.

leaving 4 cars = 8 gardai to close off the scene, protect evidence and speak with any witnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

what does that oh dear mean zuroph? >:-|
    it means "oh dear". terrible shame, and although nothing to do with anything else that happens in limerick, cant help our reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭j0605

isn't this awful, he came to our country in the hopes of a better life and he gets killed, its awful.

foinse wrote: »
    Are you for real??? you thought something worse than MURDER happened??? someone lost their life there, and the number of emergency services there would be about right, maybe the ambulances was large, however you can be sure than every ambo in there was fighting to save the poor guy's life, as for the gardai, 7 cars = 14 Gardai, 3 cars obviously raced off looking for the murderer.

leaving 4 cars = 8 gardai to close off the scene, protect evidence and speak with any witnesses.

Please bear in mind he was not reported to be dead when I posted this. He was reported to be in a critical condition following a stabbing and YES, all those Gardai and ambulances is a lot of manpower for a stabbing.

EDIT: YES there are a lot worse things than murder than can happen.

Please bear in mind he was not reported to be dead when I posted this. He was reported to be in a critical condition following a stabbing and YES, all those Gardai and ambulances is a lot of manpower for a stabbing.

EDIT: YES there are a lot worse things than murder than can happen.

Firstly yes he was dead when you posted your first comment, at 02.21 when Zuroph posted the news report, the victim had been declared dead....your first post in this thread came at 12.10 today

Pray tell what do you do for a living that makes you such an expert at how emergency services operate?????

that is not a lot of manpower for a stabbing, biggest priority for all emergency services is protection of life, you can assume that the alarm was raised during the incident, meaning that the offender was at the scene while the call went in and of course safety of ES personnel with a building that size is paramount you need a lot of personnel to contain an incident like this.

I would imagine that the Gardai and ambulance personnel arrived at the scene not knowing exactly how many persons were injured and whether or not the offender was there or not, hence the 3 cars that "raced off up O'Connell Street" obviously in search of the offender.

Edit: and personally i cannot think of anything worse than a young life cut short, sure there are a number of other things that can happen to a person, like serious assault and rape, but at least these people can be rehabilitated after their ordeals, when someone is murdered that is it for them, there's no therapy to help relieve the pressures and stresses that death puts on the body.

Double Post

• Advertisement

Firstly yes he was dead when you posted your first comment, at 02.21 when Zuroph posted the news report, the victim had been declared dead....your first post in this thread came at 12.10 today

Pray tell what do you do for a living that makes you such an expert at how emergency services operate?????

I would imagine that the Gardai and ambulance personnel arrived at the scene not knowing exactly how many persons were injured and whether or not the offender was there or not, hence the 3 cars that "raced off up O'Connell Street" obviously in search of the offender.

At 12:10pm today I, through the use of Google, was made aware he was still alive but in a critical condition. Only later in the afternoon was I made aware he was actually dead. My comment of overkill of emergency services was down to a stabbing not a murder.

You are interested to know what I do for a living. Well in fact I am a sales person which is the simplest way to describe it. However, I am a trained emergency ambulance driver and have performed many courses in tactical and defensive driving by UK and EHB/HSE organisations. That in some way qualifies my opinion on the emergency services.

At 12:10pm today I, through the use of Google, was made aware he was still alive but in a critical condition. Only later in the afternoon was I made aware he was actually dead. My comment of overkill of emergency services was down to a stabbing not a murder.

You are interested to know what I do for a living. Well in fact I am a sales person which is the simplest way to describe it. However, I am a trained emergency ambulance driver and have performed many courses in tactical and defensive driving by UK and EHD/HSE organisations. That in some way qualifies my opinion on the emergency services.

well as i've already pointed out, protection of life, and of course officer safey are paramount in that situation, who are you a trained ambulance driver with? is it the HSE or a private ambulance organisation like the red cross???

Personally, i am a member of An Garda Síochána, and can tell you from personal experience that those numbers turning up for either a stabbing or murder is not uncommon.

well as i've already pointed out, protection of life, and of course officer safey are paramount in that situation, who are you a trained ambulance driver with? is it the HSE or a private ambulance organisation like the red cross???

I am trained by the HSE and the EHB. The volunteer's(Red Cross, OOM and St Johns) along with the fire services ambulance division and the EHD/WHB/NWHD etc are trained by the same orginisation through partnerships with training authorities.

Personally, i am a member of An Garda Síochána, and can tell you from personal experience that those numbers turning up for either a stabbing or murder is not uncommon.[/QUOTE]

Respect to you with your chosen career. I passed the second interview but bowed out because my financial situation(OH's medical costs, mortgage etc etc) outweighed the income. Terrible shame :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

It is not uncommon for the emergency services to send more than enough units to a scene that big. Especially when it is a crowded area like a city centre where rubberneckers will need to be marchalled away from the scene to prevent corruption of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well he was killed by one of his own! Even though its a terrible thing to happen, i can only see more frequent attacks like this.

Just look at the events of this weekend. What was it? 2 foreigners and a drug dealer!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Is the life of a foreigner equal to that of a drug dealer to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I havent lived in Limerick city for almost 8 years now, but my family still live there. From what I see and hear there seems to be little to no integration of refugees or asylum seekers into the local community?
    What would be Limerick people's general attitude to refugees's/asylum seekers?

Just curious thats all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Opinions on asylum seekers are really not what's up for discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

ninty9er wrote: »
    Opinions on asylum seekers are really not what's up for discussion.

I think it should definatly be up for discussion. Already within my family and friends in Limerick I have seen little sympathy for the murder victim,despite the fact that he was a 17 years old kid with his whole life infront of him.

If it was a 17 year old Limerick youth who was stabbed there would be public outcry. There doesnt seem to be in this case. Its a sad day when a teenager is murdered and no one seems to really care ,and they seem to be having a field day with this story over on Stormfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

panda100 wrote: »
    I think it should definatly be up for discussion. Already within my family and friends in Limerick I have seen little sympathy for the murder victim,despite the fact that he was a 17 years old kid with his whole life infront of him.

If it was a 17 year old Limerick youth who was stabbed there would be public outcry. There doesnt seem to be in this case. Its a sad day when a teenager is murdered and no one seems to really care ,and they seem to be having a field day with this story over on Stormfront.

What I meant was that this forum is the wrong place to discuss it. Most likely an issue for politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

panda100 wrote: »

I think your right with that comment. It seems like "phew we can blame this 1 on the foreigners thank god". ANd your right there has been very little integration to speak of.
    Also I think comments like "he was killed by 1 of his own" and " i thought it was something more serious going on" don't help. If he was a "local" from a well to do area we'd be calling for a public holiday.

If it turns out to be a fight between 2 drug dealers I'll take all this back but other than that I feel sorry for the guy and his family... 17!!!!

Jaysus lads take a chill pill, who cares how many units arrived,

Your reply is around 29 hours too late so I imagine the Garda has gone back to work and well...............Im still here ;) but I dont think anybody got worked up about it anyway.

It happens so much that some people can brush it off! The fact its an immigrant, probably means people have not accepted them much, which i would totally agree with.

Everyone knows there is an integration problem but nobody is willing to step up and take care of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

My mate worked in barringtons hostel before they did it up. He was a security guard. Thats where they used to house all the asylum seekers. they were a great bunch and were always laughing and smiling, playing pool... grand. He did tell me that someone got bottled in there and there were a few hot heads but nothing crazy. worse happens in pubs filled with irish people.

On another view, My GF used to live in the appartments in mount keneth, the asylum seekers and pols were nuts there. definetly drug dealers and prostitutes all over the place. not only foreigners but loads of scum bags from around limerick hang around there. Conclusion: Everyone is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

TheLoc wrote: »
    Conclusion: Everyone is the same.

hit the nail on the head there mate, as was said the attitude seemes to be "phew, thank fook it was one of their own that did it"

it was still a kid that died, and it was a kid that killed him, brutal reflection on society in general, NOT on limerick and NOT on assylum seekers, knife and gun culture is a cancer on our society, and unfortunatley i dont see a way out of it...

Well foreigners have been getting away with far too much ****e in recent years, not that our own indigenous people have been getting away with much. Just when something like this happens ( a refugee, who practically isnt combining anything valuable to our society) people are able to turn a blind eye. But who's fault is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

the only reason refugees dont contribute is because they are not allowed to, they would jump at the chance of work, unlike some of our own fine citizens...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

RINO87 wrote: »
    the only reason refugees dont contribute is because they are not allowed to, they would jump at the chance of work, unlike some of our own fine citizens...

Firstly, it's asylum-seekers who are not allowed to "contribute", not refugees who have already been granted asylum.
    Secondly, what makes you so sure that they would "jump at the chance of work"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

I'm sorry the young fella died. It's the killer we should be mad at, like our own homegrown bunch of cut throats that we walk amongst every day.

On the asylum seeker thing, a few bad eggs are bound to arrive, we need to weed these people out but it is damn hard to get past the lies and fake passports.

• Advertisement
Advertisement