Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where is Defoe going?

• 28-12-2008 11:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen that Harry Redknapp is backing out of signing Jermaine Defoe because he would cost too much. Redknapp basically said Pompey have accepted a huge offer from another side.
    "I think they have a massive offer from somebody for him so good luck to them, I paid about £9million for him," Redknapp said.

"He is a good player but we're not going to pay over the top for anyone.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4708549,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

chelsea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Damn, just seen this in the transfer rumour thread. Apologies, delete/close if necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

City or Chelsea I am guessing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Can Redknapp not keep his gob shut about another team's players for 10 mins. Honest to god, the man shows no class when it comes to situations like these. I am sure Pompey/Tony Adams will be chuffed that he has dropped this little bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Dodgy Redknapp up to no good as usual, he's try to unsettle players. The day before he said that he was pulling out of the race for Bellamy as Man City were after him aswell. Why does he have to mention players from other clubs. If he's not going to sign them then he should shut his mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I guess City must be after him. Can't see why though. He's doing well in his run of form, but he has trouble when he's a rotated striker. i.e. big fish in a small pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dodgy Redknapp up to no good as usual, he's try to unsettle players. The day before he said that he was pulling out of the race for Bellamy as Man City were after him aswell. Why does he have to mention players from other clubs. If he's not going to sign them then he should shut his month.

He's a moron. Mentioned Downing by name as well.
    Public tapping up you might call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Defoe on the bench today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

mike65 wrote: »
    Defoe on the bench today.

Adams won't last till the end of the season, think he had Defoe on the bench when he took over. Defoe seemed to be doing well earlier this season before Adams took over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On the bench for the sake of apperances, a deal has been done I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

mike65 wrote: »
    On the bench for the sake of apperances, a deal has been done I'd say.

Exactly what I was thinking.
    Delighted with the timing of it aswell... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I personally don't have a problem with the way Redknapp talks so openly about players and transfers, it's at least transparent and takes away this bull**** element of clubs doing dodgy deals under the table.

I much prefer it to the "undisclosed fee" crap that has been emanating from the Arsenal camp since Wenger took over and more recently from Chelsea too. It is quite obviously an attempt by those clubs to restrict the market in their favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Has to be City for me, the way Redknapp said it was a " massive " offer indicates to me it was City who made the offer, they obviously need a striker badly and Defoe fits the bill.

Chelsea don't seem too mad keen on splashing the cash so I can't see them making this massive offer, I know they are looking for a striker but I honestly can't see Defoe fitting into the Chelsea style of football either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Draupnir wrote: »
    I personally don't have a problem with the way Redknapp talks so openly about players and transfers, it's at least transparent and takes away this bull**** element of clubs doing dodgy deals under the table.

I much prefer it to the "undisclosed fee" crap that has been emanating from the Arsenal camp since Wenger took over and more recently from Chelsea too. It is quite obviously an attempt by those clubs to restrict the market in their favour.

Dodgy deals? Transfers are completely open and when a club isn't on the stock market they can have their fees undisclosed if they want.

Maybe some fans have the impression of dodgy deals if it says undisclosed but the FA know what is going on and the only manager caught up in a dodgy deal is:..... Harry with the Benjani deal.

Advertisement