Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match thread : Newcastle United vs Liverpool

• 28-12-2008 11:34am

A fixture that used to bring so much entertainment until recent times. Game kicks off at 12:00 & is important for both clubs. After Newcastle's loss on Stephen's day they will really want to take something from this while Liverpool will want to stay in competitive running for the title with a win.

Torres returns to the squad but is unlikely to start while Masch is expected to be brought back into the team. Arbeloa(thank god :p) is still out injured so we'll have to see if Rafa is willing to bring young Darby in for his full debut while switching Carra back to centre half for Hyypia.

Newcastle are without several players through injury and suspension. In defence, Kinnear is without Luis Enrique, Habib Beye and Sebastien Bassong. While Alan Smith, Joey Barton, Mark Viduka and Nacho Gonzalez are also out and Obafemi Martins and Shola Ameobi aren’t fully fit but may feature.

Likely line up for Liverpool ;

Liverpool - Reina, Carragher, Agger, Hyypia, Insua, Alonso, Lucas, Mascherano, Kuyt, Gerrard, Keane

Players available for Newcastle ;

Newcastle: Given, Coloccini, Gutierrez, Butt, Guthrie, N’Zogbia, Duff, Owen, Harper, Taylor, Geremi, Edgar, Xisco, Carroll, Ameobi, LuaLua, Gonzalez.

A game that will have mixed feelings for me as I really like Newcastle as a club & I have attended many of their games over the last few years but I will be shouting for the reds 100% :) .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Going to be a hostile atmosphere after Ashley's statement today

Villain wrote: »

Yeah very true, was just talking to my mate about it on the phone who's a Toon supporter. He aint happy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

What was it?

And Is Torres playing in this game? I Expect a 2-1 win for Liverpool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

CyberWaste wrote: »
    What was it?

And Is Torres playing in this game? I Expect a 2-1 win for Liverpool.

That the club is no longer for sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Liverpool team in full:
    Reina, Carragher, Insua, Agger, Hyypia, Mascherano, Lucas, Gerrard, Kuyt, Babel, Benayoun.

Subs: Cavalieri, Keane, Riera, Alonso, Ngog, El Zhar, Skrtel.

:eek: Babel starts and Keane don't! Rafa is a card :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Keane on the bench? what does he have to do?

mike65 wrote: »
    The Liverpool team in full:
    Reina, Carragher, Insua, Agger, Hyypia, Mascherano, Lucas, Gerrard, Kuyt, Babel, Benayoun.

Subs: Cavalieri, Keane, Riera, Alonso, Ngog, El Zhar, Skrtel.

:eek: Babel starts and Keane don't! Rafa is a card :p

For **** sake....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

This makes absolutely no sense, why isnt Robbie playing.

I'm glad a missed the Fantasy Rafa deadline. Good that Skrtel is on the bench and that Torres is not (really).

Newcastle: Given, Edgar, Taylor, Coloccini, Jose Enrique, Gutierrez, Guthrie, Butt, N'Zogbia, Duff, Owen.

Subs: Harper, Xisco, Geremi, Ameobi, Kadar, LuaLua, Carroll.

Oh god, this thread is gonna be 10+ pages before the match even starts. A lot of Rafa bashing i think

• Advertisement

If Pool don't win there sure will be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Cruijff wrote: »
    This makes absolutely no sense, why isnt Robbie playing.

It only makes no sense if Liverpool end up losing the match due to lack of creativity/firepower up front.

If Liverpool win, Rafa is a genius.

There is half a chance that Keane is a bit tired after the Bolton match. But I'm probably talking rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Cant see us (NUFC) getting much today.... Wigan game was very expensive visa vie injuries/suspentions. I think it will be 10 men behind the ball TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Shocking team to be honest. Keane, Alonso & Riera were our best players against Bolton and all of them are dropped ? Kuyt is not a lone striker...hes awful in that roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

M5 wrote: »
    Cant see us (NUFC) getting much today.... Wigan game was very expensive visa vie injuries/suspentions. I think it will be 10 men behind the ball TBH

taylor in for bassong so its up to him to make the shirt his again, edgar in for beye at right full, last time he had a start he scored against man united if i remember correctly ??

hopefully andy carroll will get on early enough in the game to make an effect, he won a penalty against wigan and should have had a 2nd, im optimistic about this one, benitez team selection is quite strange also, but sure, there are not many that can second guess him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

What a cnut's trick to pull, on the day that is supposed to be Sir Bobby Robson day. Any other person, and I would put it down to coincidence/bad timing, but with all the stunt's Ashley has pulled, I really think he is taking advantage (yet again) here.

Regarding the tea news, Bassong will be a big loss for us, he has been immense for us, and probably our player of the season so far. Habib is always Mr. Reliable, so that's another big loss. One positive though is Enrique. As ropey as he has been in patches, Charlie N'Zog just doesn't work at LB, and it's vital to also have him available for selection on the wing.

With Owen up top playing the lone man, it is vital that Joe doesn't play this long ball ****e he seems to dabble in. Would like to see Andy Carroll get a good 30 mins today, as he seemed to be a right auld handful for the Wigan defence when he came on.

Anyway, Howay the lads, and let's hope its a cracking day for Sir Bob, irrespective of the result.

Keane hamstring worry apparently.

Plenty of feeds being the early game
    http://www.justin.tv/directory/sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

"If hes doing it everyone else's way he feels like he is not doing it his way."

Opr

daftdave wrote: »
    taylor in for bassong so its up to him to make the shirt his again, edgar in for beye at right full, last time he had a start he scored against man united if i remember correctly ??

hopefully andy carroll will get on early enough in the game to make an effect, he won a penalty against wigan and should have had a 2nd, im optimistic about this one, benitez team selection is quite strange also, but sure, there are not many that can second guess him.

Edgar is not a PL level defender, Championship at best IMO, he has started since scoring against united.... usualy badly. I would imagine he will be the target today for liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That is a right kick in the teeth for Keane. How is the guy supposed to get consistency in his game when he's been messed about just as he appears to have found his form. I hope it backfires on Benitez.

• Advertisement

Kuyt first goal
    Liverpool 3-1
    A red card for someone
    Babel for MOTM

Appears to be a 4-4-1-1

Aidric wrote: »
    That is a right kick in the teeth for Keane. How is the guy supposed to get consistency in his game when he's been messed about just as he appears to have found his form. I hope it backfires on Benitez.

He's apparently not fully fit, now get back in your box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Keane hamstring worry apparently.

Plenty of feeds being the early game
    http://www.justin.tv/directory/sports

I hope this is the case for Robbie's confidence sake.

I always thought Kuyt would be starting up front though, always has an absolutely cracker against Newcastle, scored a couple and i think his first for liverpool was against them when he had a magnificent game.

M5 wrote: »
    Edgar is not a PL level defender, Championship at best IMO, he has started since scoring against united.... usualy badly. I would imagine he will be the target today for liverpool.

Agreed. A great lad, that just wants to play for the Toon, but unfortunately his talent doesn't match his passion. Still, he could prove us wrong today and have a blinder.

But his inclusion today is a timely reminder of what a bollox job Ashley has done in supplying us with a decent squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Im usually jinxed with links but touch wood this one is pretty good so far.

C'mon the 'Pool!

http://livesportonline.org/Football_Live_Strems/live_games_details.asp?gameid=90&livestream=Newcastle_Liverpool_live_stream

This could be a big game for Guthrie to show Rafa what he has lost out on. Been a cracking signing for us so far.

Sitting back way too deep. Makes every clearance effectively a pass back to Liverpool to have another go.

Lovely meg, crackin save.

• Advertisement

Gerrard should have scored there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Melion wrote: »
    Gerrard should have scored there

Yeah he really should have. Plenty of chances to lift it in with his left.

what the **** was gerrard thinking about with that finish?! he had plenty of better options, a quick lay off for a guaranteed goal or even just using his left leg

Shay playing a blinder. Edgar having a mare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Shay playing a blinder. Edgar having a mare.

What else is new ?

Given with a good save.

I think i'll love Insua by May in the same way Mr.Alan loves Nando

• Advertisement

Newcastle defense giving the pool wayyyyy to much space and time

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

How are we not 1-0 up??????

Lucas, fúck sake what a miss. Looked awful in real time, still havent seen a replay.

How the hell have we not scored?

for the love of god how did we not score there!

in terms of play and pressure pool have really carried right on from the last game

oh jesus, gettin hockied here

• Advertisement

If Liverpool had a striker....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

The ball HAS to go in sooner or later!! :eek:

CHRIST!!!!!!!

I hate Shay Given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

FFS Given is like a one man wall here... any other keeper and we're up by 2 at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Given. Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

God damn Shay Given

gfkjfsdkhjljldsjhlhllsdjljglhsdlhlj

we just aren't winning this :(

I'm embarrassed at how sh/t the other lads are compared to Shay. FFS Joe, get the formation right, and get them fcuking playing. Lambs to the slaughter if we continue like this.

If Liverpool had a striker....

We do, he's injured.

Another one cleared off the line.

This is incredible stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Should we just give Given MOTM now?

Why do keepers raise thier game for us, or do Liverpool make it easy for "heroic" stopping?

• Advertisement
Advertisement