Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WD Media Player vs Xbox 360

• 28-12-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Someone here recently posted about the WD media player. I am considering getting one.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572

How does it compare to the Xbox 360 for playing music and video and is it worth the money (€100) if you already own a console?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I don't have one but your question prompted me to look it up.

Got a fairly impressive review here :
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2008/12/02/Western-Digital-WD-TV-HD-Media-Player/p1

Seems like it would be lot more convenient than using the 360. Less noisy. And it takes up very little room. Still, another remote to contend with :(

Tempting all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

That's what I figured. It'd be handy for MKV files any playing a large music collection too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I got one, it's bloody amazing! it's played anything i've thrown at it so far, ultra smooth playback. It wazzes all over the 360 as a media player! if you can spare the cash, definitely go for one, you won't be sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I got one, it's bloody amazing! it's played anything i've thrown at it so far, ultra smooth playback. It wazzes all over the 360 as a media player! if you can spare the cash, definitely go for one, you won't be sorry!
    Will it play native mkv files?

I'm having horrible problems getting mkv to hd mp4/avi that will play on my 360 :(

kaimera wrote: »
    Will it play native mkv files?

I'm having horrible problems getting mkv to hd mp4/avi that will play on my 360 :(

That's the main file type i have for video, it plays 720p and 1080p no worries! it's only ever glitched on one file (out of a hundred or so, so far)

• Advertisement

Can it play ISOs?

silvine wrote: »
    Can it play ISOs?

I don't think it does, but if you extract the iso, it will play it then. The WDTV will receive regular updates apparently, so iso support could be added later!

Just getting a firmware update for it there for more file support and better subtitle support. Good stuff WD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

That's the main file type i have for video, it plays 720p and 1080p no worries! it's only ever glitched on one file (out of a hundred or so, so far)

Excellent stuff - I've been looking at the reviews and though many mention that .mkv works fine, I wanted confirmation from a "real" user that 1080p files work fine. The only thing missing from this is the ability to play files over a network connection, but it is very impressive for a first attempt from WD.

Not bad for a hundred euro!

There's a lot to be said for streaming video and music wirelessly though.

J-blk wrote: »
    Excellent stuff - I've been looking at the reviews and though many mention that .mkv works fine

The only file i had a real problem with was some old profile divx file. MKV playback has been faultless really! the new update has added support for more files and subtitles (it was only srt before, now it's added ass and more)
    silvine wrote: »
    Not bad for a hundred euro!

There's a lot to be said for streaming video and music wirelessly though.

It's positively bargainous (if that's a word)

I think it's better to play direct rather than stream over a network though, less chance of things going wrong/slowing down/being jumpy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I think it's better to play direct rather than stream over a network though, less chance of things going wrong/slowing down/being jumpy etc.

It is, but for some people it's not very practical any more - I keep all my media on a Windows Home Server and stream to PCs/Macs and the Xbox within my network, so it's nice to be able to access the data that way. But yeah, every now and then, even with an 802.11n connection, things go wonky and mkvs especially slow down...

I like the WD unit though and I'm thinking it would be an ideal solution for some people I know that still play their media from local drives mostly.

I've only had the occasional problem with jerky video clips although I find audio files streamed to the Xbox don't sound as good. Similarly, films are only streamed in stereo. I'm guessing they're down sampled.

If Microsoft opt for a Bluray add-on I'll get it and make do with my home network. If not this looks like a realistic alternative for 5.1 and MKV support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

if you haven't a 360 already then it looks like a good buy. But then again for an extra 60 euro you can get a 360 that will do most of the WDTV and play games.

The only thing the 360 can't do at the moment is play MKV files via Tversity in 5.1. Which will come in future tversity releases. Everything else it can do perfectly if your home pc/server is good enough, and set up correctly. Don't use wireless use high speed homeplugs. These work brilliantly and are the easiest thing to set up.

360 can be a little on the noisy side late at night when you have the volume low.

Personally I'll stick with the 360. Like someone else posted another remote, another power brick, another input to the tv and another audio connection to the home cinema. For me I've about 10 plugs and power bricks behind my TV and about a mile of cables. and endless amounts of controllers, remotes, plastic guitars etc in my living room already. :D

Unfortunately Tversity still lacks Mac support. Agree about the hassle about having an extra box,power cable etc.

I'd never heard of home plugs before. Found info here: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=5351

I'm guessing they make streaming high-def clips easier, ie less lag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Considering these homeplugs myself. Does each homeplug need it's own electical socket as only have 1 socket where router/modem/dect phone plugs into downstairs....so using a power adaptor. Same story for upstairs where PC is..only 1 socket in room and have a surge protector/power adaptor plugged into it.

Advertisement