Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I stop my boiled eggs cracking?

• 28-12-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Hi, the past few months when I put boiled eggs from the press into the water they crack half the time. I know this has got something to do with the difference in temperature so I've tried submersing them very slowly but it doesn't make much difference.

How do you eat yours?! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

put em in before the water is to hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

but it's supposed to be 3 minutes at boiling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭georgem25

Eggs should be at room temperature

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Put them in cold water, bring to the boil, and then keep them boiling for 3 minutes. Think that's how you do it anyway. Don't put them straight into boiling water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Isn't this the one where you're supposed to throw a lit match into the water to prevent the eggs cracking, or was that always just a load of old cobblers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

add in 2-3 dashes of vinegar to the water and your eggs won't crack- works for me anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a little gadget that pricks a tiny hole in the end of the egg (non-pointy end!) where the air sac is. Plonk egg in boiling water, cook, no problem.

The problem I'd have with the "put it in cold water and bring to the boil" method is that the amount of time to bring it all to the boil would be variable, depending on the size of the pan and how much water was in it (related to the number of eggs), which would make timing a bit tricky I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

add 2 teaspoons of vinegar to cold water..place eggs in water..bring the water up to just about boiling point..turn down heat to a simmer..time 3 minutes..take out the eggs..and scoff em!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Alun wrote: »
    I have a little gadget that pricks a tiny hole in the end of the egg (non-pointy end!) where the air sac is. Plonk egg in boiling water, cook, no problem.

The problem I'd have with the "put it in cold water and bring to the boil" method is that the amount of time to bring it all to the boil would be variable, depending on the size of the pan and how much water was in it (related to the number of eggs), which would make timing a bit tricky I'd have thought.
    +1 the device that pricks a hole in the egg is the best thing ever to prevent cracking. It is known as a Klumpa Dumpa. (Or maybe that's just in my family, but it's a good name for it and I think you should all adopt it.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Again, put a tiny hole in the flat end. Special Gadget? Use a pin or a needle.

But it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Can't say I've ever had an issue with cracking - from a spoon into boiling water as quick as you like. Sometimes straight from the fridge.

Incidentally, my method: into boiling water for a minute simmering, then off the heat, lid on and start timing; 6-7 minutes depending on how you like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I used to get this problem all the time. I was taking eggs straight from the fridge and putting them straight into the boiling water. My solution was to put the egg onto a big slotted spoon and hold it under the hot water tap for about 15-20 seconds before putting it into the boiling water. I've never had an egg crack since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

+1 for vinegar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Faith wrote: »
    Put them in cold water, bring to the boil, and then keep them boiling for 3 minutes. Think that's how you do it anyway. Don't put them straight into boiling water.

Exactly how I boil them. I also add a little salt.

Thanks for all the input, lots to go on!

Well I had another crack this morning, thought I'd chance my arm putting an egg into water brought from a half boiled kettle.

So now I have cold water boiling in the pot with an egg already in it. I'll definitely try piercing the egg with a pin tomorrow, and also the vinegar method but will the latter work if you put the vinegar into warm water or does it have to be added to cold, in which case it takes just as long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

TBH, I would never keep eggs in the fridge anyway. They're far better kept at room temperature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Honey-ec wrote: »
    TBH, I would never keep eggs in the fridge anyway. They're far better kept at room temperature.

How about storing them in mud?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

cozmik wrote: »
    How about storing them in mud?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg

Mmm, sounds delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Try putting a copper coin in the pot while boiling, dunno how it works but it stops the cracking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Piercing the egg? Id say that would look class. Draw a little goatee on it then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thereseb81

Lads, it's this simple. Don't put eggs straight from the fridge into hot water. Of course they're going to crack. Most chefs recommend that you store your eggs at rooms temp anyway ie: not in the fridge. If you do want to keep your eggs in the fridge, make sure you take them out at least 30mins before using them for boiling, poaching etc. so that they can get up to temp. Promise you this'll stop your eggs from cracking!

thereseb81 wrote: »
    Lads, it's this simple. Don't put eggs straight from the fridge into hot water. Of course they're going to crack. Most chefs recommend that you store your eggs at rooms temp anyway ie: not in the fridge. If you do want to keep your eggs in the fridge, make sure you take them out at least 30mins before using them for boiling, poaching etc. so that they can get up to temp. Promise you this'll stop your eggs from cracking!

I do have them at room temperature when I put them in the boiling water but they still crack. Seems to only happen in the winter, possibly because I don't heat the kitchen over night!

I found the best method is to put a single hole in either end of the egg with a safety pin before placing them directly in boiling water, then to cover and continue boiling for about 3 minutes.

When you put the egg in first you can see loads of air bubbles rushing out the whole so this must be what causes the eggs to crack. Now if only someone sciencey could explain to us what's happening with those bubbles, where do they come from and where are they going?! :P

Advertisement