Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a cheap wide angle\fisheye

• 28-12-2008 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm looking to add a cheap wide angle and\or fisheye to my lens collection. I've quickly discovered these are two lenses that don't really seem to have much in the way of a cheap option!

So far the closest I've found is a Cosina wide angle but I've never heard of Cosina and I'm wondering if the one review that's been posted is just someone from the shop that sells them through amazon trying to drum up a bit of business :confused:

I don't honestly know if I'd get much use out of either a wide angle or a fisheye so I don't want to spend the sort of money they seem to demand for a lense I'll only end up using a couple of times so any suggestions would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Is it on a crop body or ff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Borderfox wrote: »
    Is it on a crop body or ff?

Good question, I just don't know what it means? :D

Is that something to do with the sensor size? I have a digital rebel XTI which I believe is the American name for a 400D...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

400D would be a crop body.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

unless you go for a m42 mount with manual focus your pretty ballsed, they have high production costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Sigma 10-20?

/EDIT on Kea photo it works out at €344 or $470.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Wide angles are generally quite expensive... As mentioned, you could go old school, and pick up a Peleng or other russian made lens with a converter....

Google rugifts and you'll come across a fairly handy site for all that end of the scale.

Hmm Guess I'll leave them off the shopping list for now.. As I said I have no idea if I'll ever get any real use out of them and don't want to be spending 2-300+ on a lens that I only use three times (2 of which being pics of my sitting room to see what they look like :D)

Thanks for the advice though :D

[Edit]Ohhh thanks for that link Fajitas! There may be hope yet![/Edit]

OK, Quick question :D

If I was to buy one of these lenses am I right in saying they just screw onto the front of my existing lenses as a type of "Adapter"?:

http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/fisheye-lens-w-macro-for-canon.htm
    http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/canon-eos-super-wide-angle-lens.htm

The sample photos for the fisheye seem to be quite good and I don't mind if they don't give "superb" results as it's just for me to play around with while I decide if they are of any use to me.

Those ones do. They're complete and utter cack though, go for one of the actual lenses rather than one of those :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I've been looking at eBay for low cost lenses, but the fact is you have to pay for quality, eBay will give you deals but a deal on a good quality lens in still way more costly than a cheap alternative, and what's the point in spending 100+ on a cheap alternative when you'll eventually want to upgrade anyway!?

You say you'll only be using the lens a couple of times anyway, if that's the case, why not rent what you think you need when you think you need it? A sigma 10-20mm will cost you 50 euro for a day from Conns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I use the wide angles/fisheyes mostly for quirky shots in awkard places at shows, its good to use a fisheye only once in a while as you would get sick of the effect. A good wide angle would get more use though something like a Canon 17-40L or a Sigma 18-50 ex would be a good investment but then again these wouldnt be considered wide angle on a crop body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

One o the beauties about coming along to boards.ie/photography meets is that you get to try out other people's equipment. I happen to have a 10-20mm SIgma so if you turn up the next time I'm out shooting (sometime in February probably) I will let you have a shot with it and you can at least get a feel for whether you want it or not. I don't know how much more expensive the 10-22 Canon is - I've a feeling it's not that much...

Anyway, that's one option. It's through this that I build my shopping list.

Advertisement