Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

n95 internet probs

• 28-12-2008 2:18pm

Hey there.

Recently got my hands on a n95 and I have to say its a swanky phone.
    One problem I have with it though is connecting to the internet. I was on the wifi at home(7 megs) and it was taking a while to load up pages. This was in 3g..is there any way to use a different type of connection?
    I found it impossible to look at any youtube videos without them timing out before any of the video had even downloaded.
    I'm on pay-as-you-go, so I'm assuming I'm better off not trying to use the o2 mobile internet service.

Also, I was looking to format the mass memory. Just wondering what I will lose if I do this.

And if anyone can link me to some cool apps I'd appreiate it. Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Hey there.

Recently got my hands on a n95 and I have to say its a swanky phone.
    One problem I have with it though is connecting to the internet. I was on the wifi at home(7 megs) and it was taking a while to load up pages. This was in 3g..is there any way to use a different type of connection?
    I found it impossible to look at any youtube videos without them timing out before any of the video had even downloaded.
    I'm on pay-as-you-go, so I'm assuming I'm better off not trying to use the o2 mobile internet service.

Also, I was looking to format the mass memory. Just wondering what I will lose if I do this.

And if anyone can link me to some cool apps I'd appreiate it. Thanks a bunch.

Hi,

I think you are confused, you are either using your phone's 3g (which will be relatively slow) or the houses wifi (which should be relatively fast)?

I'm using the wifi for definite. It's connected and everything. But yeah theres a 3g logo in the corner which might have nothing to do with it. But my it takes about a minute to load up a boards page. Is that normal?

One more question - why does it ask me to connect to the internet to use the sat nav? Shouldn't it just work independently of the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

that 3g logo is always there , are you going onto the desktop version of boards? or the moblie site, its takes ages for the full version of boards.

sat nav? dont you mean gps? maybe because it uses up your phone credit when connecting to the net and might just drain all your credit so its giving you the choice wether to use the net or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the sat nav can use assisted gps where it gets a rough location for the phone based on the mast you're connected to which helps the gps lock faster. That's why it asks to connect to the internet

Loading a full internet page on a phone can take a while. Try going to m.boards.ie instead. And personally i think opera mini is much better than the built in browser

How are you sure it was using the wifi? What makes you think it was

also, the real player on the phone needs the access point set and doesn't use the same one as the browser. Open real player and press options-settings-streaming (or connection)-network and change the default access point to your wifi

On my phone real player is under applications-media but it might be somewhere else on yours

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Loading a full internet page on a phone can take a while. Try going to m.boards.ie instead. And personally i think opera mini is much better than the built in browser

Ah problem solved re the browsing.

I have youtube set to my wifi connection and it still connects, goes to loading and times out after a bit. :confused:

Also I left the gps going for about 10-15 mins yesterday not connected to the net, and it couldn't find where I was. The lights kept blinking yellow. Is this normal?

Ah problem solved re the browsing.

I have youtube set to my wifi connection and it still connects, goes to loading and times out after a bit. :confused:
    Hmmm, that's odd. Maybe the port it's using isn't open on your router? That's just a guess though
    Also I left the gps going for about 10-15 mins yesterday not connected to the net, and it couldn't find where I was. The lights kept blinking yellow. Is this normal?
    if you were indoors then yes that's normal. It needs a clear view of the sky

If you were outdoors, you should slide up the front because the gps is under the key pad and leave it lying on something, holding it in your hand can weaken the signal

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Hmmm, that's odd. Maybe the port it's using isn't open on your router? That's just a guess though

if you were indoors then yes that's normal. It needs a clear view of the sky

If you were outdoors, you should slide up the front because the gps is under the key pad and leave it lying on something, holding it in your hand can weaken the signal

Excellent mate, thanks alot for all the help.
    I'll look into the youtube thing a bit more and report back if I manage to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

Excellent mate, thanks alot for all the help.
    I'll look into the youtube thing a bit more and report back if I manage to fix it.

As regards the youtube, have you tried the application called "mobiatubia" ?
    great for downloading, watching and saving youtube vids on the phone.

think the website is www.mobitubia.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i use vuclip for the videos. Its great. Has youtube, daily motion etc on it.
    Dotsis.com is good for apps
    Symbian-freak.com is the best site there is for the phones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement