Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Dunne's reading list

• 28-12-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Right, time to list what I have read in 2008 and keep track of what I will read in 2009.

So, in no particular order, here is what I read in 2008. A very eclectic mix, I am sure you will agree.

The Goldilocks Enigma, Paul Davies. Wasn't too gone on this, tbh.

The Second World War, Martin Gilbert. Couldn't put it down, all 750 pages of it.

Only in America, Matt Frei. Utterly loved it, probably because I can relate to most of it, having lived in the US.

The Ancestor's Tale, Richard Dawkins. Didn't finish it, too much biology. :o

Rock On, Dan Kennedy. Utterly loved it, read it a number of times. Hilarious.

On Writing, Stephen King. Interesting insight into his life.

Israel and the Clash of Civilisations, Jonathan Cook. Fascinating thesis, if somewhat tinfoil-hatty.

Never Suck a dead man's hand, Dana Kollmann. Gill, Horatio and Mac won't like this one. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bits of me are falling apart, William Leith. Daft, though somewhat entertaining.

Flat Earth: The history of an infamous idea, Christine Garwood. For such an obscure topic, it was quite an enjoyable read.

Wannabe a writer, Katie F Forde. Easy reading and certainly encouraging for any aspiring writer.

Currently reading: Proust and the squid:The story and science of the reading brain, Maryanne Wolfe. Loving every last word of it.

To be read (i.e. got for Christmas): What on Earth happened, Christopher Lloyd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just finished Proust and the Squid. Loved it. Nice to see somebody agrees with me on the effect of access to instant information on the reading and comprehension skills of the masses.

Now, what next?

Yes Man, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or The Kingdom of Infinite Space: A Fantastical Journey Around Your Head?

Methinks the latter is too heavy after Proust and the Squid.

Arthur Dent, it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Just finished Proust and the Squid. Loved it. Nice to see somebody agrees with me on the effect of access to instant information on the reading and comprehension skills of the masses.

I'm curious... what is the effect?

I'm curious... what is the effect?

I'll answer by quoting from page 221 of the book:
    Will unguided information lead to an illusion of knowledge, and thus curtail the more difficult, time-consuming, critical thought processes that lead to knowledge itself?

Part of the problem, as I see it, is the unquestioning nature of internet users. People read something online and take it as gospel. The amount of people that still think I am a well known radio presenter is staggering (and highly amusing, I might add).

The requirement for instant information, from unquestioned sources is not good for the mind. There is no critical analysis, there is no thinking, there is just absorption and unquestioning acceptance.

I could rant on here for hours, but that is not what this thread is for.

That is what the Critical Thinking forum is for. :D

/shameless plug

Finished the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Moving on....

Now half-way into Yes Man and loving every word of it. It's great when you read an author who has a similar sense of humour to your own.

Just finished Yes Man and I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now, change of pace. On to The Kingdom of Infinite Space: A Fantastical Journey Around Your Head.

• Advertisement

Ouch. My head hurts.

Just finished The Kingdom of Infinite space and while it was an enjoyable read, it was terribly abstract and heavy going.

Now I have to find my next book.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a good read.

Just finished Made in America by Bill Bryson.

Not much to it, tbh.

Just started reading Einstein's biography.

Jumping in and out of Einstein's biography, it's tough going. Translated from German, and it shows.

Just finished An Edible History of Humanity by Tom Standage. Mildly interesting, basic history of food where the author equates food with power.

Now reading In Search of Time: Journeys along a curios dimension by Dan Falk.

Advertisement