Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shay Given?

• 28-12-2008 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Anyone else watch the liverpool match? felt real sorry for given,could have been 10-1 had he not been in such outstanding form!think hes wasted at Newcastle,such a top goalkeeper hes world class and one of the best in the world,cant really think of anyone whose better,yet the man has never won any silverwear??i dont understand why no top team have ever come in for him?heard something about arsenal been interested?but i dont understand how he hasnt been snapped up!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

class goalkeeper.

if i was Alex Ferguson, i'd definately bring him to Utd for the last few years of his career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

scruff321 wrote: »
    hes world class and one of the best in the world,cant really think of anyone whose better

OK, he's a very very good goalkeeper.

But Casillas and Buffon are still on another level to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

i dont even support manu but id love to see him join them or any top 4 side challenging for trophies even alan shearer won something! such a wasted talent atm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Given is either happy and settled and does not want to move his family about which would be fair enough or he is the comfort zone at a club where he is the hero more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'd take Iker Casillas over him. No joke. Unfortunately SAF will never go for him bar a major goalkeeping catastrophe.

I'd be happy to see any big club take him tbh

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »

i dont think hes far off Casillas (which shows how good he is imo!) havent seen enough of Buffon tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

From what the papers are saying looks like Arsenal for him in the summer.
    I'm a magpies fan but I wouldn't begrudge him a move there and hopefully he'd win something. Also looks like Taylor and N'Zogbia could be going there as well.
    With Steve Harper who's also a very good keeper we should be ok.

i dont think hes far off Casillas (which shows how good he is imo!) havent seen enough of Buffon tbh

But, IMO, he looks better than them because he has the ball being shot at his goal so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

deise59 wrote: »
    Unfortunately SAF will never go for him bar a major goalkeeping catastrophe.

Well VDS is 38, IMO theres no reason why he couldnt go for him in a year or 2

But, IMO, he looks better than them because he has the ball being shot at his goal so much!

haha true hes absolutely bombarded half the time! suppose if he went to a big team that would be a good judgement on how hed rank among the best of the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I think its extremely hard to pick which of the three above is the best. actually impossible. All 3 would get into any team IMO. Its great that Ireland have a player that they can say that about. For me our only world class player

haha true hes absolutely bombarded half the time! suppose if he went to a big team that would be a good judgement on how hed rank among the best of the best.

He finished 3rd/4th/5th with newcastle..... and played in the Champions league, and showed his class in the world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the only bad thing about Shay is he's size

5ft 10

but he is a brilliant keeper

given is 6ft1'

saw him talk about it a while ago that everyone thinks he is shorter than he actually is

the only bad thing about Shay is he's size

5ft 10

but he is a brilliant keeper

He's 6ft 1 actually, but thats still quite short for a keeper

Mr Alan wrote: »
    given is 6ft1'

saw him talk about it a while ago that everyone thinks he is shorter than he actually is

ohh

taught i read some-where he was 5ft 10

but 6ft 1 is still probly too small

He'd be a great signing for Arsenal imo

M5 wrote: »
    I think its extremely hard to pick which of the three above is the best. actually impossible. All 3 would get into any team IMO. Its great that Ireland have a player that they can say that about. For me our only world class player

Oh FFS. He's not in the top 3 in the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

always thought he would have been a great signing for Arsenal and he has always been linked to them in the past (and i think today). No offense to Newcastle but ive always wanted to see him at a team with a decent defense infront of him, as he has never gotten enough support from his defenders be it at St James or with Ireland. I loved hearing recently that Trappatoni was pimping him out to the top Seria A sides although if i was a Magpies fan id be more pissed at Given leaving than Micheal Owen tbh

he isnt top3 in the world though! thats 1/2: Casillas and Buffon 3: Cech

Given would be near the middle of the next group of keepers that has people like Reina in it. Still world class though

be great for Arsenal as well as Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

heard something about arsenal been interested?but i dont understand how he hasnt been snapped up!

Think Arry might be looking for him too IIRC. tbh I would reckon every prem team, including all the top 4, have taken a look at him in goalkeeper searching time, but he has said in previous interviews that he is happy at Newky. Id love to see him at a decent club though.

he isnt top3 in the world though! thats 1/2: Casillas and Buffon 3: Cech

Given would be near the middle of the next group of keepers that has people like Reina in it. Still world class though

Id rate Given above Cech. Dont forget Cech has a far better defence infront of him. If Given and Cech were both in top 4 teams with decent defenders Id reckon Given would concede less by years end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

For all the talk of Shay being a great keeper he can't marshall any defence for **** which is a key part of being a good experienced keeper. I also think that because Newcastle's defence is so **** that it gives him so much chances to pull of the great save that people are willing to forgive him for conceding five or so goals. Great keepers don't concede that many goals a game on such a regular basis.

If you look at Buffon for example, Juve had a terrible defense last season and Italy's defence in the Euro's was a shambles and he still kept clean sheets and the goal tally down. Shay doesn't do that. With Newcastle it all seems to be damage limitation. He's nowhere near top 3 in the world, not even top 3 in the premiership this season

ohh

taught i read some-where he was 5ft 10

but 6ft 1 is still probly too small

He'd be a great signing for Arsenal imo

smallest keeper in the prem..and f*ck yas all hes the greatest keeper ever!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Arsenal are sorted with Almunia for now and Fabianski coming through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

always thought he would have been a great signing for Arsenal and he has always been linked to them in the past (and i think today). No offense to Newcastle but ive always wanted to see him at a team with a decent defense infront of him,

Hardly much point in him going to Arsenal then. Our defence is crap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

PDN wrote: »
    Hardly much point in him going to Arsenal then. Our defence is crap.

well maybe but Arsenal have always seemed to me to be the biggest Prem side that have needed a goalie although as said they arent going to be getting one this season especially not with Almunia wearring the captains armband for the next few months and other areas DM, CB and only then the wings needing improvement first.

cant imagine Given going anywhere till atleast the summer, then i hope he does get a good move but wouldent be shocked to see him staying at Newcastle.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    For all the talk of Shay being a great keeper he can't marshall any defence for **** which is a key part of being a good experienced keeper. I also think that because Newcastle's defence is so **** that it gives him so much chances to pull of the great save that people are willing to forgive him for conceding five or so goals. Great keepers don't concede that many goals a game on such a regular basis.

If you look at Buffon for example, Juve had a terrible defense last season and Italy's defence in the Euro's was a shambles and he still kept clean sheets and the goal tally down. Shay doesn't do that. With Newcastle it all seems to be damage limitation. He's nowhere near top 3 in the world, not even top 3 in the premiership this season

Clean sheets against Chelsea/portsmouth/Aston villa/boro with a group of players in front of him that couldnt defend against a well aimed stone....

am i the only one who doesnt think cech is the goalie he use to be, since the hunt accident

yes great keeper but in the top 3?

not sure

i agree with ya headshot, he aint, he seemed unbeatable almost before the incident, he makes a lot of errors since the accident. think he has lost a bit of his bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

This is a load of bollox. I watched nearly every Real Madrid game last season and dont rate Casillas in the same league as Buffon. Cech is at least the same as Casillas. Buffon above them both. Given is not to far off that trio and has always been a very top level keeper.

What the **** did Casillas do last season that was so outstanding ? Most shot at keeper because the defence that play in front of him is ****e and also alot of smaller teams try long range efforts against Madrid and that is well known. Of course he will make loads more saves than other keepers in the league because he is better than the others. Put Cech in the Real Madrid side and he would save more or less the same amount. It means nothing because they are above the others and would be expected to stop more shots.

People are talking it up because of the amount of shots which I suppose is not normal for a top club goalkeeper to be facing usually because they are better protected. Another reason is because he captained Spain to victory at Euro 2008. Casillas did not have an awful lot to do in Euro 2008 either. Please someone tell me a game were Spain were under real pressure. I watched every Spain game start to finish probably only because I was in the country at the time and dont recall it happening.

Buffon had an outstanding tournament and was the only reason the dutch only scored 3 and not 10. What about his unbelievable penalty save in stoppage time against Romania that kept the world champions in the tournament. Bit of a rant here I know but I just hate when people put Casillas in the same boat as or even worse ahead of Buffon.

• Advertisement

Reina is better than them all, so it doesnt matter.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Reina is better than them all, so it doesnt matter.

wouldnt be too sure on that

great shot stopper but dodgy as hell on the crosses

wes brown comes to mind:p;)

wouldnt be too sure on that

great shot stopper but dodgy as hell on the crosses

wes brown comes to mind:p;)

***ducks down to avoid the incoming artillery***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y0kpT_DD6I

OMG he can make a mistake :eek:

M5 wrote: »
    Clean sheets against Chelsea/portsmouth/Aston villa/boro with a group of players in front of him that couldnt defend against a well aimed stone....

A group of players that can't defend?
    Collocini is an Argentinian international, Steven Taylor is the only one to survive the seasonal cull year in year out, Charlie McHugh (resident Newcastle fan) was praising Bassong the other day for his performances, Enrique isn't terrible and even if he was he couldn't shoulder all the blame for Newcastles continued ineptitude at the back. Beye is a Senegalese international with over 100 games for Marseille. Last year they had Cacapa who won 5 titles with Lyon. Boumsong was the best defender is Scotland when he came down. Bramble holds down a starting place in a premiership team that concedes less than Newcastle etc.

These players can defend, so either all of the coaches Newcastle had in the past 3 years couldn't get them to or else there keeper couldn't organize them. Worth noting that there's not really an experienced leader in that group so they'd be relying on Shay to lead them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Anyone else watch the liverpool match? felt real sorry for given,could have been 10-1 had he not been in such outstanding form!think hes wasted at Newcastle,such a top goalkeeper hes world class and one of the best in the world,cant really think of anyone whose better,yet the man has never won any silverwear??i dont understand why no top team have ever come in for him?heard something about arsenal been interested?but i dont understand how he hasnt been snapped up!

Ahem, the Intertoto Cup :D:D:D

• Advertisement

A group of players that can't defend?
    Collocini is an Argentinian international, Steven Taylor is the only one to survive the seasonal cull year in year out, Charlie McHugh (resident Newcastle fan) was praising Bassong the other day for his performances, Enrique isn't terrible and even if he was he couldn't shoulder all the blame for Newcastles continued ineptitude at the back. Beye is a Senegalese international with over 100 games for Marseille. Last year they had Cacapa who won 5 titles with Lyon. Boumsong was the best defender is Scotland when he came down. Bramble holds down a starting place in a premiership team that concedes less than Newcastle etc.

These players can defend, so either all of the coaches Newcastle had in the past 3 years couldn't get them to or else there keeper couldn't organize them. Worth noting that there's not really an experienced leader in that group so they'd be relying on Shay to lead them

Bassong does look a prospect alright. The Ongoing problems at Newcastle are a mystery though. But pointing the finger at given is laughable at best. Coach/Manager should be held responsible for sure. How many managers/coaches have we been through and not once have we had a defense that anyone would call solid? It really frustrates me I’ll tell you that! I also think that we sign players with big reputations in other countries such as Marcelino/Cacapa/boumsong but they cannot settle into the premier league for whatever reason. Bramble got a lot of undeserved stick in the media which seemed to make him worse TBH. Collocini has been reasonable this season but today he was terrible. Taylor needs to step up to the plate in a big way. Bassong has been head and shoulders above him all season. The amount of individual that has cost us goals in the last 5/6 seasons is absolutely unacceptable I don’t know what we can do to stop it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

In fairness, Ireland had a world class defensive record under Kerr and I don't think Cunningham, O'Brien, Carr and O'Shea would be making the Italy defence.

You don't see goals scored against Given these days that you'd expect any other keeper to save. And he's definitely the least error prone keeper in the premiership. If I remember correctly, for every 50 attempts of catching a ball, Given will drop 1. Reina will drop 7. Those stats are from a couple of seasons back so while Reina has improved, Given hasn't gotten any worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Can't honestly say I "feel sorry" for Given. I think that if he wanted to be at a top club before now, he would have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

A very good shotstopper but is nowhere near the likes of Buffon and Casillas, the type of person who "hasn't seen enough of Buffon" to have an opinion on whether Given is as good as him can't really then compare him to Casillas.

There's a reason no top side has ever made a move for him.

vote4pedro wrote: »

Not sure about that. If he'd allowed his contract to run down he'd definitely have got a bosman to a top club in my opinion. I honestly think the only reason he isn't at a bigger club is because he doesn't want to be.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    In fairness, Ireland had a world class defensive record under Kerr and I don't think Cunningham, O'Brien, Carr and O'Shea would be making the Italy defence.

Yeah but Cunningham can marshall a defence, as can Dunne. I just think that on the evidence of his time at Newcastle Given just can't do that. I'd be interested to see what would happen if they signed an English defender with leadership capabilities. Campbell would have been ideal

Bateman wrote: »
    Not sure about that. If he'd allowed his contract to run down he'd definitely have got a bosman to a top club in my opinion. I honestly think the only reason he isn't at a bigger club is because he doesn't want to be.

As far as i know he is settled in Newcastle and so are his family. Plus i'm sure he's being looked after wages wise. I have heard figures ranging from 60-70K a week and im not sure who else would pay that much for a keeper. I am surprised United or Arsenal have not put in a bid though... or maybe they have and he just didn't want to leave because of family or whatever

That's his choice then. Has comfort zone written all over it.

vote4pedro wrote: »
    A very good shotstopper but is nowhere near the likes of Buffon and Casillas, the type of person who "hasn't seen enough of Buffon" to have an opinion on whether Given is as good as him can't really then compare him to Casillas.

thats a silly statement to make,the reason why i cant compare him to buffon is that i dont watch ANY seria A matches,have barely seen him for italy (who have one of the best defenses in the world) and barely ever see juventus play therefore i cant give a fair enough rating,were as i do watch la ligue very regularly,and have seen Casillas very regularly so of course i can compare him to Cassiles who probably is a bit better then Given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Given must have been linked with a move to Arsenal for about the past 3-4 seasons and nothing ever seems to materialise. He better get his skates on though as if he was to do a big money final career move he would need to do it in at least the next season or two before he gets too old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some of the comments here surprise me. Given is easily in the top 3 keepers in the League and has been for a good while now. If he was playing with a top four side like Almunia is then people would never shut up about him. He has easily been one of the best keepers this season. A clean sheet earned against Chelsea this season, with THAT defence, was not a fluke by any means.

I felt sorry for him today. It was like Custer's Last Stand with General Custer played by Shay Given. Without him there today it would have been double figures for Liverpool.

Meh, he doesn't talk enough for me. Causes trouble in his own backline too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What is talking going to do in all honesty?

"Oy Taylor stop being so sh*t."

:confused:

He could organise them, it's what keepers do. The Newcastle defence on paper isn't that bad and it's not like the team gets noticeably worse when Harper plays. This season anyway he's not only been behind Cech and Reina but Myhill, Turnbull and Schwarzer

• Advertisement
Advertisement