Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football rivalries: The ultimate consensus!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Would have thought Leeds would be in instead of Arsenal for United. Pretty shocked at that. Always thought it was 1. Liverpool 2. Leeds 3. City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Would have thought Leeds would be in instead of Arsenal for United. Pretty shocked at that. Always thought it was 1. Liverpool 2. Leeds 3. City

United - Leeds was always big yeah, but never bigger than United - City. Anyway we haven't played them for 4 years or so now, so thats probably why its diminished.

Had to lol at Bolton seeing us as our no.1 rivals when we couldn't give two flying sh1ts about them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Pretty spot on for Arsenal though maybe Liverpool might have sneaked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea would definately be in 3rd spot ahead of Arsenal with Liverpool fans tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I know a few Arsenal fans who took more pleasure in Spurs' plight than beating Man U earlier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

It must be really galling to see your main rivals not mention you.

Four four Two did one on the Man Utd/Leeds rivalry and gave a fan of each club a chance to say their piece.

Leeds Fan "I've hated Manure all my life, scum blah blah blah, remember when we beat them blah blah blah".

Manyoo fan "Gordon McQueen, Joe Jordan, Denis Irwin, Eric Cantona - that's not rivalry that's feeder club".

Classic :D

I still reckon FC United v Leeds in the conference north in a few years will be a tasty derby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Forget Man Utd, the the West Midlands where the hate is at.

Wolves, WBA, Villa and Brum all hate each other in kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Sunderland would traditionally be our big local rival, but I know that myself (and many others) see Spuds as the team we love to beat. Certainly more so than ManYoo and Boro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bohs vs Sham ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

our this and our that. Bollox. Unless you live and work with beside these people what sort of rivalry can you have with their opposition fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sorry, thats bs.

Most match-going united fans would answer Leeds and Liverpool. Arsenal over Leeds, gimma a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

mike65 wrote: »
    Forget Man Utd, the the West Midlands where the hate is at.

Wolves, WBA, Villa and Brum all hate each other in kind.

its a pretty sliding scale actually

wolves and villa dont hate each other all that much, its more a friendly rivalry. theyre at the furthest end of the scale, but the rest have a varying amount of hatred for each other depending on whether theyre playing each other or their rivals are playing each other at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Hate Wolves and Ipswich, we only hate Wolves and Ipswich!!!!

Sheffield United as 3rd, hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

podge018 wrote: »
    our this and our that. Bollox.

Thanks be ta fcuk. Charlie McHugh, are you actually from Newcastle? I quite like the Dutch national side- I dont refer to "our" biggest football rivals as Germany. I like to see the Scots do well- we share the same auld enemy but if they hammered England in a qualifier I wouldnt claim "we" battered them.
    Unless you live and work with beside these people what sort of rivalry can you have with their opposition fans.

Unfortunately in my time I have had to spend my time alongside people, including friends, who are generally cool but turn into knobs when Man U comes up. Racism, support for filthy tackles, diving, support for throwing objects at opposition players from the stands, although trouble is relatively rare from actual attending crowds what trouble there is will often get a good holler from the armchair fan. It is the above reasons and the general cocky **** the rest we`re the best atmosphere shared with three lions tatooed bare chested drunken Ingerlanders pissing in continental fountains every four years (who, irnically, these same Irish utd fans despise) that has had me despising United since I was about 10 or so. tbh I hate Utd alot more than I like Liverpool- they just happen to be the primary anti- Utd that play the most enteraining football :)

It is hardly surprising Leeds werent big on the list, they havent met in years (neither have WH and Millwall mind afaik, but that had the added hooligan element)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

No, I don't live in Newcastle, but I fail to see the importance of that. I support the club with as much passion as any other fan.

But I'll leave my contribution at that, as I can see where this topic is being derailed (yet again) to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

our this and our that. Bollox. Unless you live and work with beside these people what sort of rivalry can you have with their opposition fans.

i have to agree with this

im a villa fan but i dont hate the blues, mainly coz ive met about 3 of them in my life, so theyre an irrelevance to my existence. if i was in brum more than twice a month tho, i might have a different opinion of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

No, I don't live in Newcastle, but I fail to see the importance of that. I support the club with as much passion as any other fan.

But I'll leave my contribution at that, as I can see where this topic is being derailed (yet again) to.
    Tbh, all these threads are going to be "derailed" in such a fashion. Theres only so long a thread can go with references to "us" and "we" and people calling other people from Dublin and Cork "Scousers" and "Mancs" before someone mentions it

I had the pleasure of seeing the Rome Derby a few years back, it was great stuff. At home, Rovers v Bohs is always a bit special. I have an irrational hatred of all things D7, for which I am currently undergoing therapy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

No Way! United ahead of Spurs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Bollox. there are plenty of united fans in dublin for a city fan like me to have a hateful rivalry with. not too many bolton ones though
    shane86 wrote: »
    tbh I hate Utd alot more than I like Liverpool- they just happen to be the primary anti- Utd that play the most enteraining football :)

Liverpool entertaining. when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So, there are no rivalries outside England, and none held by anyone over 14!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

bigstar wrote: »
    Liverpool entertaining. when?

game against City this year perhaps? :)

Advertisement