Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

750i Sport or 535d

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You must have hearing probems. Jeremy Clarkson says that it sounds like a third world construction site.
    Jeremy Clarkson says so, does he? Must be true, so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

cianclarke wrote: »
    Ditto, eh I guess in cost it's substantially less, but I don't really like the term "poor man's" - it's not really a poor man's car to begin with, and "poor man's" makes it sound vastly inferior, which I really don't think it is!
    Literally maybe it makes some sense... *shrug*
    The problem with the V10 Phaeton is that the V8 TDi in the A8 produces more bhp in the 4.2 form. It's less weight over the nose too. The 4.0 I think was a bit less alright. Still, the Phaeton might seem like a bargain except for the fact that it's holding its value better than the A8 which makes it dearer 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

You must have hearing probems. Jeremy Clarkson says that it sounds like a third world construction site.

What was the point of your post? He never reviewed any V10TDI, so neither you nor him are qualified to make any statement on its sound (and he didnt say that in reference to the V10).

Its a moronic quote anyway, I would suspect a 3rd world construction site would utilise more manual labour than our own... so what, diesels sound like workmen shouting and using hand tools? Idiot. Diesels are quieter when driving and noisier when standing outside the car on a cold idle admiring your own reflection.
    Biro wrote: »
    The problem with the V10 Phaeton is that the V8 TDi in the A8 produces more bhp in the 4.2 form. It's less weight over the nose too. The 4.0 I think was a bit less alright. Still, the Phaeton might seem like a bargain except for the fact that it's holding its value better than the A8 which makes it dearer 2nd hand.
    Thats the 2nd gen V8 TDI for the A8, the one around the time the V10 was out was only 4.0L and lower BHP. The V10 was designed as torque monster, I appreciate no one cares much for torque here, but the V10 (in stock form) compared to even the newer 4.2 only has slightly less BHP (10bhp) but considerably more torque (+75 ft/lbs). When pushing 2-2.5 ton tanks around, you really need that torque.

The 4.2 TDI is meant to be a fantastic engine when remapped however.

Also, thats the first time Ive ever seen a Phaeton critised for not depreciating fast enough! :) The reality is the A8 TDI4.2 was cheaper to begin with by nearly 20k. Remember the A8 is positioned below the Phaeton in the VAG hierarchy.
    http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:ocHIuDVNAN4J:www.simi.ie/admin/files/Jun05.xls+simi+2005+list+price+phaeton&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=ie&client=firefox-a

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Thats the 2nd gen V8 TDI for the A8, the one around the time the V10 was out was only 4.0L and lower BHP. The V10 was designed as torque monster, I appreciate no one cares much for torque here, but the V10 (in stock form) compared to even the newer 4.2 only has slightly less BHP (10bhp) but considerably more torque (+75 ft/lbs). When pushing 2-2.5 ton tanks around, you really need that torque.

The 4.2 TDI is meant to be a fantastic engine when remapped however.

Also, thats the first time Ive ever seen a Phaeton critised for not depreciating fast enough! :) The reality is the A8 TDI4.2 was cheaper to begin with by nearly 20k. Remember the A8 is positioned below the Phaeton in the VAG hierarchy.
    http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:ocHIuDVNAN4J:www.simi.ie/admin/files/Jun05.xls+simi+2005+list+price+phaeton&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=ie&client=firefox-a

I'm surprised at that, I thought it was cheaper than the A8. How did the prices of the 3 litre TDi in each compare when new? That would be a more like for like comparison.
    I'd actually like a Phaeton, no one knows what it is and the V10 is a savage engine for sure. I would prefer the look of the A8 though, the Phaeton dated a little more quickly, but it's helped by its understated looks, so it shouldn't date as bad as the 01-04 Passat, which looks chronic now.
    The V10 is €16k to VRT unfortunately, which is why I won't be getting one!

I'm surprised at that, I thought it was cheaper than the A8. How did the prices of the 3 litre TDi in each compare when new? That would be a more like for like comparison.
    I'd actually like a Phaeton, no one knows what it is and the V10 is a savage engine for sure. I would prefer the look of the A8 though, the Phaeton dated a little more quickly, but it's helped by its understated looks, so it shouldn't date as bad as the 01-04 Passat, which looks chronic now.
    The V10 is €16k to VRT unfortunately, which is why I won't be getting one!

Have you seen a Phaeton in person? As the Passat starts to drift into memory the Phaeton becomes even more unique and solid looking. I like the rough industrial design of the A8, but I parked beside one of the same gen and I thought the Phaeton looked a generation newer. Curved, wide arches and a distinctive tail.

The 3.0L V6 TDI Phaeton is much, much cheaper these days then any Phaeton previously due to heavy discounts, so its not as "like for like" vs the A8 as you would think. For a while it was actually cheaper in the UK than Germany (likely still is) as part of an effort to field more Phaetons, any Phaetons, I suspect to justify the expensive training courses VW implemented for service centres. The base spec obviously is a lot lower than the V10/W12 on these newer V6 TDIs, then there is the engine..

Re the VRT, they tacked on nearly 3k more on my VRT over the VRT Calcs price due to spec, so 16/17k is the absolute minimum. You do realise mine is on Irish plates, VRT paid and ready to go yeah? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Anan1 wrote: »
    Jeremy Clarkson says so, does he? Must be true, so...

you're only a bollox

you're only a bollox
    Have you ever considered joining a debating club? Your talents are wasted here.

Have you ever considered joining a debating club? Your talents are wasted here.

Lol, so its not just me! I wouldnt usually post PMs, but this is classic, just arrived in my inbox:
    **** off back back to meath in your tractor you tinker.

Have a look at some of his previous posts, there are some real gems. Here's my favourite: 'This is a bentley so the quality and robustness is a lot higher than regular cars. So I would say it will will reasonably okay after a cleanup. ' From this thread, with pics: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55310876#post55310876

• Registered Users Posts: 65,465 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

you're only a bollox

And you're banned for a month for personal abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Lol, so its not just me! I wouldnt usually post PMs, but this is classic, just arrived in my inbox:

Yeah, feck off out of Internetland and back to Meath.:rolleyes:

I think the Phaeton is a stunning car, have seen a few around the country and would love to buy in a few years when the depreciation taken its full toll.

Best of luck with the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

This thread seems to have permanently veered off on that phaeton tangent.

OP, buy the petrol V8. As the fellas said earlier... these lazier engines don’t work so hard, and like humans with the same traits, go on living and looking better for a lot longer. Buy it and enjoy it... I feel bad for Mr Phaeton who’s been hit by the recession, but for those that are in a position for buying right now... there’s a whole lot of choice... which is a nice change. Go out there and take a few of these big Fleet flag bearers for a spin... The V8’s are easy enough to convert to liquid natural gas too if the oil markets changes in the future.

So Mr OP, wishing you the best of luck with your testdriving.:D

Have you seen a Phaeton in person? As the Passat starts to drift into memory the Phaeton becomes even more unique and solid looking. I like the rough industrial design of the A8, but I parked beside one of the same gen and I thought the Phaeton looked a generation newer. Curved, wide arches and a distinctive tail.

The 3.0L V6 TDI Phaeton is much, much cheaper these days then any Phaeton previously due to heavy discounts, so its not as "like for like" vs the A8 as you would think. For a while it was actually cheaper in the UK than Germany (likely still is) as part of an effort to field more Phaetons, any Phaetons, I suspect to justify the expensive training courses VW implemented for service centres. The base spec obviously is a lot lower than the V10/W12 on these newer V6 TDIs, then there is the engine..

Re the VRT, they tacked on nearly 3k more on my VRT over the VRT Calcs price due to spec, so 16/17k is the absolute minimum. You do realise mine is on Irish plates, VRT paid and ready to go yeah? :p

Actually didn't realise you were selling yours! :) I'll give ya ten for it! :D
    What you replacing it with?

Jaysus, Biro. Will you read the thread? ;)

unkel wrote: »
    Jaysus, Biro. Will you read the thread? ;)

Lol, sorry!!
    Go for the 750i OP!

Actually didn't realise you were selling yours! :) I'll give ya ten for it! :D
    What you replacing it with?

I answered that in the thread already! :P

I answered that in the thread already! :P

No you didn't! :p

Come on, spit it out! What is it?

unkel wrote: »
    No you didn't! :p

Come on, spit it out! What is it?

No way, could undermine some earlier comment, too many crafty people round here. Buy the V10, then we talk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Wheresmejumper8

535d all the way!

All that thorque, it ticks every box!

Also, the new professional nav option since September production is unreal with HD and on board multimedia hard drive. Put it with a Head up Display and you have a tremendous bit of kit!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

No way, could undermine some earlier comment, too many crafty people round here. Buy the V10, then we talk!

Ive a car you may be interested in....she's a '98 Golf 1.9TDI (red T red D red I) sure there all red even the car is red) pure fast im tellin ya. Would walk all over that Pufton thingy you have anyway. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Funny you should say that, it's the first car I preferred sitting in the back rather than in the front of. It is more of a car to be driven around in then be driving. Your kids would be happy though! Especially if you pick up the one with the centrally mounted TV.

but your kids would be comfy... being stuck to the seat and all that kinda carry on :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Forgive me for not reading all the posts, is that VW Phaeton thing FWD? 500bhp? surely its a 4x4?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I wonder what the OP bought in the end?

Fishtits wrote: »
    Forgive me for not reading all the posts, is that VW Phaeton thing FWD? 500bhp? surely its a 4x4?

Mechanical (ie always on, vs Haldex type systems) Quattro 4 All Wheel Drive (4x4 is not the correct moniker). The first few hundred 3.2l Phaetons were FWD, very quickly terminated that version.

Edit
    Someone just sent me this:

New Cayenne GTS, V8 Petrol, 405BHP, 300kg lighter. Both totally flat out. Should walk all over a 2.6ton 313bhp diesel right?

Porsche guys reaction is priceless, "Here comes my kickdown...... wooooohh?!"
    Theories on the outcome?

I'm not surprised, think of the frontal area of a Cayenne.

I'm not surprised, think of the frontal area of a Cayenne.

Yeah, the Cayenne has a larger frontal area (to cool the engine better ;) )
    Aerodynamically, its .35Cd is surprisingly good however (peers are Audi Q7: .37Cd, Touareg: .38Cd, BMW X5 .34Cd)

Frontal Area: 2.36m2 (VW) vs 2.83 m2 (Cayenne, less than the X5, so its not biggest in class even)
    Drag Coeff: 0.31cd (VW) vs .35cd

But aerodynamics are more a killer factor for determining top speed cap and come into play above 140mph (they ended at 160mph ish), not accelerating and maintaining accel upto that speed?

Advertisement