Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Eve - Where to go ?

Options
  • 28-12-2008 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

I havent been out in Limerick for New Years Eve ever, for all my years of drinking age I have always gone to a house party or just a local, but my mates want to head to town this year.

Any suggestion on where to go in town ?

Also whats the scenario with Taxi's is it supposedly impossible to get one on New Years Eve ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Do NOT go to town. It is the biggest waste of a celebration ever.

Go to someplace like Scotts/Synnots/Russells and have a bit of craic as opposed to being sardined in Trinity Rooms with their "limited" 1,000 €15/20 tickets.

There'll be 1,500 people in there by 11:30.

House party is the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭georgem25

+1

stay local

Getting a taxi would be impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

getting a taxi is not impossible in limerick any night of the year any more. theres way more cabs now, I cant think of a night I havent walked out of a club and been able to flag one in a matter of minutes, years ago ud be in a scrum down on shannon street beggin joe to bump u to the top of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I believe the plan is the Icon I am so not looking forward to going out , I like to stay away from town on such nights like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

zuroph wrote: »
    getting a taxi is not impossible in limerick any night of the year any more. theres way more cabs now, I cant think of a night I havent walked out of a club and been able to flag one in a matter of minutes, years ago ud be in a scrum down on shannon street beggin joe to bump u to the top of the queue.
    Don't remember a Joe, now Francie on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You aint old enough to remember joe haha! Yeah frankie lives opposite that city centre car park on thomas st now! he was mental, when ever it got busy, he would lose it!!!!!! So funny

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

You aint old enough to remember joe haha! Yeah frankie lives opposite that city centre car park on thomas st now! he was mental, when ever it got busy, he would lose it!!!!!! So funny
    No, I ain't old enough to have had enough money to get a taxi if/when this "Joe" character was around, back then I had to decide if I could afford one more or a taxi, invariably it was always the former:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Brings back memories alright.

There were two taxi ranks on Shannon Street. Francis worked on the Fixed Price Taxi rank and Joe worked the Economy Cabs rank just below it afaik. A thankless job to be honest, having to deal with drunk fecking ejits every night.

Don't know what happened to Joe after the ranks moved but you still hear Francis on the Fixed Price dispatch radio.

Regarding New Year's eve, we prefer to spend it locally as the town is just a mess that night, paying top dollar to end up queuing to get into a cattle market and queuing to get out again. And there are not as many taxis on the road that particular night as you would think, alot of taxi drivers will not work that night as they like to ring in the new year too or avoid the hassel of dealing with large numbers of drunken idots that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I am completely not in the mood for going out now, if its going to be so jammed and the whole lack of taxis doesnt make happy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

zuroph wrote: »

Ahhh good old Joe. We always give him a hard time, 'Joe get us home' and he would always say 'Keep your hair on!' I enjoyed going to clubs back then, The Henry Cecil & The Gallery. I know people say the Cecil was a **** hole but I loved it, never had a bit of trouble in there. As for New Years Eve I am just going to go to my local or maybe stay at home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Yea.... town in general on these big nights is just, a balls.

Thought the same about stephens night, but it wasnt that busy at all, and the taxi driver said the same

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Im going to the thing in the Clarion

Melion wrote: »
    Im going to the thing in the Clarion

The thing? Are they a band? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

house party for me anyways, dunno about the taxis but when i first came to limerick a good while ago i got a cab driver from treaty, one of my mates was in a bad way and needed to get home fast, they bumped us up the list in treaty and i gave the driver a few shillings for being so nice, ever since then ive always used treaty and they couldnt be nicer, the lady with the shortish red hair that works nights there in their base is an absolute star, always has things running ship-shape with very little waiting time, if you are nice to them they will be nice to you!!! god knows they have to put up with enough abuse from eeeejits, but they have been spot on for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'll just hit the local. Always a good craic there on New Year's Eve.

Advertisement