Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

helmet heroes. wont fit 3 year old

Options
  • 28-12-2008 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

3 year old received helmet heroe from santa, advertised for 3plus age on box. Helmet will not fit on his head, and even if it did, there is no way the straps would tie under his chin. Box is destroyed, but have receipt. Would it be possible to return these goods.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

CraftySue wrote: »
    3 year old received helmet heroe from santa, advertised for 3plus age on box. Helmet will not fit on his head, and even if it did, there is no way the straps would tie under his chin. Box is destroyed, but have receipt. Would it be possible to return these goods.

OOF. I am not sure of the specifics on this, but they may well try to avoid taking it back, because it will be hard to resell without the packaging.

That said, if it was marked 3 + on the box and it wont fit, the goods really aren't as described (especially if he is just 3) so I would say you are entitled to an exchange or some form of credit. (I seriously doubt you will get a refund without the packaging). You are entitled to some remedy and if they refuse outright, I would consider you to be justified in sticking your heels in.

However, until you contact them, this is all just guesswork. You never know this could be a well known issue and they will help immediately.

you won't be entitled to any refund. The 3+ age is a guideline, all children are different and therefore the store can't be held responsible for the helmet not fitting your childs head, annoying but true.

There is no harm trying though, some shops are better at looking after their customers than others. You could always contact the manufacturer directly if you have no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That said, if it was marked 3 + on the box and it wont fit, the goods really aren't as described (especially if he is just 3) so I would say you are entitled to an exchange or some form of credit.

If this was the case all European women's clothing retailers would be out of business. Ask a woman to comment on Zara sizes!

Honestly if this shop does anything for you make sure they are mentioned here as they are not in any way compelled to remedy your situation under the sales of goods and services act.

Most store returns policies are void if as goods are not returned as sold.ie no box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    That said, if it was marked 3 + on the box and it wont fit, the goods really aren't as described (especially if he is just 3) so I would say you are entitled to an exchange or some form of credit.

But is that an age recommendation and not a size one ?

I am 3+ , and bet it won't fit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

sounds more like a recommendation as to what age child it would be suitable for for the games they would be playing than a size one.......there's no way of guessing what size head a child would have so i doubt its a guideline for size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jhegarty wrote: »
    But is that an age recommendation and not a size one ?
    But the OP is saying it is too small, so what is the point of making a product only suitable for kids 3+ yet cannot fit kids 3+. Unless the kid has an unusually large head.

OP- are you sure it is not adjustable?

I have to buy my 4 year old 5-6 year old clothes and sometimes bigger hats, she doesn't have an usually large head at all!!!! whereas my niece who is two months younger - is still in 2-3 year old clothes, that's just the way it is, kids are all very very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TBH for helmets you should always measure the head and make sure they are a correct fit before purchasing. Not too easy for Santa but you could have tried on a different type.

Shop doesn't have to give you a refund, but as it's a safety item they may as a good will guesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭CraftySue

2ddf168fa21eab19a2c676476e5c4359.jpg

Thanks for replys, havn't had a chance to take back the item. I accept the shop does not have to offer a refund, that all childrens head sizes are different. On the other hand, its not like clothes where you could try them on first. The helmets in the shop are all well packaged, therefore have no choice but to accept manufacturers guidelines of 3 and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

2ddf168fa21eab19a2c676476e5c4359.jpg

Thanks for replys, havn't had a chance to take back the item. I accept the shop does not have to offer a refund, that all childrens head sizes are different. On the other hand, its not like clothes where you could try them on first. The helmets in the shop are all well packaged, therefore have no choice but to accept manufacturers guidelines of 3 and up.

Didn't realise it was a toy helment, I thought it was a proper kids helmet. Yeah you've no choice with toy ones.

But there's no harm chancing your arm on an exchange/refund. It's not fit for purpose;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Reggie G

My son got one of these from Santa but we couldn't get hand controller to work. Got it replaced without any problems but now hand controller on 2nd one wont work either. Am I doing something wrong, is there a nack to it ! By the way I returned it with al packaging torn and explained the problem and it was replaced without checking. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I thought these where bicycle helmets or something lmao.

I'd say your well within your rights to bring it back Op theres no way you could have fitted that on you kids before buying it.

Pity, i bet a 3 y/r old would have lots of fun with that :)

Advertisement