Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Aspire One and 3pay Broadband?

Options
  • 28-12-2008 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi,
    I got my brother an Acer Aspire One and 3pay broadband for Christmas but I can't get the broadband to work on it. It's the linux version and some people have said that its not compatible with linux but others have said that they got theirs to work with it. They came together as a bundle in the 3g Mobile shop on Henry St. ,so it's really annoying me that they could have sold me a bundle thats not compatible!

I have downloaded all updates available for the Aspire One but still no joy. When I check 'network connections' it says that the 3g network is off (There was no 3g network before the update so it must be along the right lines). I've spent ages looking through the netbook trying to change it to on but can't seem to.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to switch the 3g network on? Or of any other way to get 3pay broadband to work on the system. It's driving me insane!! Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://johnblackmore.com/aspire-one/one-finally-supports-huawei-modems/

Here's a link to a guide that should help you. I did something very similar to get the o2 version working on it. I haven't tried the 3pay but I imagine it's the same. You'll need the apn settings for 3. I imagine their customer care can help you here.

Is it possible that you just don't have mobile broadband coverage in your area? Can you check the modem on another laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Skippy65

http://johnblackmore.com/aspire-one/one-finally-supports-huawei-modems/

Here's a link to a guide that should help you. I did something very similar to get the o2 version working on it. I haven't tried the 3pay but I imagine it's the same. You'll need the apn settings for 3. I imagine their customer care can help you here.

Is it possible that you just don't have mobile broadband coverage in your area? Can you check the modem on another laptop?

It works on my own laptop(windows vista) fine so im definitely in coverage. Thanks for the link, ill give it another go tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Was in the 3G store - going to try this later myself!! Just need a bank statement to buy the bleeding thing (again)

But they supplied a "How To" Sheet which follows the same instructions on the link above.

When you get ot step 4
    4. This is the only difficult part, up until now eveything was plug and play. Select ‘Tools > Options’ from the menu and then select ‘Profile Management’ on the left. You will need to create a new profile and input the details as shown in the screenshot below. Please Note: These are the settings for the 3 UK mobile network, however the only difference on other networks should be the APN.

Change the profile name to "Three" and configure the APN to "3ireland.ie"

Choose "Static" for input the APN name

Click Save and OK to save the profile

Now go back to the Main UI, press "connect" to start the connection

Wait a few seconds to wait for the connection to establish. Try to connect to a website and if you wish you can get the connection status by going to the Statistics page in Mobile Partner.

LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON....

Cheers lads, have it workin perfectly now! Thanks alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Skippy65 wrote: »

Great news skippy... :D

Did you require to enter APN and profile name as per what I posted?? Any hassle?

Will have to get the g'friends sorted when she buys one this week...

So at least I know someone got it working!! I searched the net for days and got loads of code editing methods which I wouldnt be too keen on doing

Good news though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

Skippy65 wrote: »
    Delighted that you got it sorted out:) Congrats!
    Glad I got the Acer Aspire One with XP though as my husband would've torn out his hair trying to get it sorted with the Linux version.

thewools wrote: »
    Great news skippy... :D

Did you require to enter APN and profile name as per what I posted?? Any hassle?

Will have to get the g'friends sorted when she buys one this week...

So at least I know someone got it working!! I searched the net for days and got loads of code editing methods which I wouldnt be too keen on doing

Good news though :)

Yeah I had to enter that APN but for the profile name I used the same one thats shown in almighty cushion's link above, I think its '3 USB Broadband'. The other one might work as well though, I didnt try it. Its actually pretty easy when following the steps but downloading the updates takes ages.

Lunabu wrote: »
    Delighted that you got it sorted out:) Congrats!
    Glad I got the Acer Aspire One with XP though as my husband would've torn out his hair trying to get it sorted with the Linux version.

A wise decision! Just glad to have it sorted, with the help of the boardsies.

Advertisement