Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for dive trip abroad

• 28-12-2008 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to go diving this summer somewhere. A few of the places I've been thinking about is Cuba, Malta, Israel and Borneo. But I'm open to any suggestions.

I'm looking for somewhere that has good, relatively cheap diving and accommodation and that has other sites to see. And I'll be heading on my own so nowhere too dangerous please! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Egypt Red Sea fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Moanin wrote: »
    Egypt Red Sea fantastic!

Any particular area/resort you could suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Larianne wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking to go diving this summer somewhere. A few of the places I've been thinking about is Cuba, Malta, Israel and Borneo. But I'm open to any suggestions.

I've done Cuba - well off Varedero. Good conditions and generally good diving, okay staff and poor (by that I mean old) equipment. If you're inclined to go, bring as much of your own gear as you can - others who used resort staff often had to spend a lot of time with the resort equipment to ensure a safe dive.

I would also consider Blackbeards Cruises out off the Bahamas, very good diving, staff and gear at the right price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hammer Hands

Panama, bocas del toro, incredible!

That, or Isla de Cocos off Costa Rica, largest gathering of hammerheads in the world. Meant to be breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Borzoi wrote: »
    I would also consider Blackbeards Cruises out off the Bahamas, very good diving, staff and gear at the right price!

I've dive in both the Red Sea and the Bahamas. Of the 2 I'd pick the Bahamas to go back to again, much better visibility than the Red Sea. It's more expensive though. You'll also get to see plenty of sharks while diving there! :D

Don't get me wrong the Red Sea is fantastic but the Bahamas just beats it for me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shamie88

You should think about Malta, iv dived there many times and would recomend it. There are a great range of dives for every level diver and its not that dear. Maltaqua was the crowd i dived with the last time and they were fine, good dives,good crack.

Cheers for all the replies. I will do some research. :) I'll be going sometime in the summer so I'm guessing some places are only good diving at certain times of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Vietnam and Thailand are fantastic for Thailand and loads of travellers on thier own. If in Vietnam check out Rainbow Divers, greta place and easy to meet people. In Thaland i loved Koh Tao, some of the dives i did thier were fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I've done Malta, Cuba and penisular Malaysia. Malta is nice and close with good equipment. Southern Cuba is better than around Varadero and some equipment is old but look around for other dive tours if you're not happy. Most are goverment run so don't expect wonders. Malaysia around the Tioman on the east coast is amazing, turtles, sharks, flying fish etc and it cheap with good equipment. Downside is reports of piracy have been coming out from around Tioman in the past six months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

thailand is good ,phuket is a good base ,for a lot of trips and on phi phi island nearly everyshop is a dive shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

i thought indonesia was good. better than thailand in my opinion. its also very cheap and theres plenty to do when your not diving. good food and nightlife too!

jester1980 wrote: »
    Vietnam and Thailand are fantastic for Thailand and loads of travellers on thier own. If in Vietnam check out Rainbow Divers, greta place and easy to meet people. In Thaland i loved Koh Tao, some of the dives i did thier were fantastic.

Yeah I used Rainbow Divers in Nha Trang. Diving was crap though but I was doing my rescue diver course so it didn't matter. Also dived in Koh Tao which was good. Kinda want to stay away from Thailand.

I'm still undecided. Malta is looking good. Love to go back to Malaysia as I never got to dive there although the piracy is a bit worrying. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Missed out on Malaysia myself, wanted to dive in some islands on the west but it was monsoon season.

Heading to Maldives myself for a week this summer so looking forward to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I would recommend Gozo, it has some brilliant diving and is very safe for the lone travellor. Trouble is, there isn't too much to do there, but there are sites to see, old churches etc but to be honest, some of the scenery above and below water is amazing. OK, I'm not the most travelled of divers, but the Vis in Gozo is amazing and if you are lucky and manage to Dive Reqqa Point and the Twin Arches, they are dives that will stay with you for life.

I stayed at the Atlantis Hotel and dived with the dive centre there, they are very very good. http://www.aquatours.com/gozo/gozo_marsalforn-diving.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Don't know if you only wish to go long haul but I'd recommend a little island off the canaries, El Hierro in the village of La Restinga

The diving is out of this world. Hammers, Whales, Mantas. The whole area is a marine reserve and dives are actually limited within certain sites per year, saying that there has never been an issue of being denied access to the sites that I have heard of.

The village itself is very safe, a very rural welcoming place. You would prob pick up accomodation for around 100 euro for the week.
    To get there I think (but I'm not 100% sure) you can get flights with ryanair to tenerife (which is an absolute hole) and from there catch a ferry to el hierro.

Recommended Centre would be El submarino (http://www.elsubmarinobuceo.com/en_home.php) tis the only centre that stays open all year round.

I know that Scubadive west also run group outing there, but I get the impression that that wouldn't suit... Better off anyway........

Advertisement