Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car to get?

Options
  • 28-12-2008 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Right lads, time has has come to get a new car!

I'm 22,my first car was a vw lupo (dont ask:D), so looking now looking for something bigger and more powerful. (1.0l drove me nuts!!!)

Obviously insurance will be an issue being 22 but have a full licence for 2 years so dont want to go too mad!
    Budget: €10000- €15000 (cash)

So heres a list I was thinking:

1) Mini cooper s (03-05), driven it, love it but space is an issue and seems not many available that I like.

2) Audi A3 - 3 door, probably a TDI 140 sport

3) Volvo S40 (new shape, 05+), some call me mad, but beginning to really like this car, was looking at either 1.8 or 1.6D, people experiences with this car is much appereciated!

4) A MK5 Golf, bit mixed with this, love to get a GTI (also driven one and love it) but going over my budget to get a good example and also insurance woes.

These are what interest me, so any other recommendations would be great!
    Basically looking for something:

1) Looks good
    2) Quick enough and drives well
    3) Practical, do RC flying and scuba diving so needs to fit in the back, hence questioning the cooper.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I know, I know .. I sound like a spoilsport and the boring old fart that I am ...but in the current climate I'd half that budget.
    Still plenty of interesting cars to be had for that kind of money (and some cash in reserve for when the brown stuff hits the whirly thing ...if it comes to that)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

damo86 wrote: »

3) Volvo S40 (new shape, 05+), some call me mad, but beginning to really like this car, was looking at either 1.8 or 1.6D, people experiences with this car is much appereciated!

Saw a nice one earlier - http://www.autoquake.com/vehicle/inspid=7707 would be around 5k to import, unfortunately just oustside the July 08 VRT cut off, but a nice price for an 08 car, and hard to beat at that price.

The other cars are very common (Golf & A3 anyway), and there's not much room in the Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

zAbbo, why the reference to the July 08 VRT cutoff ???

Afaik any 08 diesel car, such as this S40, will qualify for the low emissions-based road tax. Initially it was July, but can be backdated to be effective for any car registered in 08. I think it's discretionary for cars registered in Jan-Jun, so you can pick either scheme, eg petrol cars (bought new in Ireland in that window) can stay the old tax scheme. Change appears to be due to lobbying by SIMI ????

All used cars are VRT'ed based on emissions, so an S40 diesel of any age will benefit from low VRT. I imported a 07 S40 1.6D in October, band B (16%) VRT.

To OP, Mini is great fun but totally impractical for many people ... boot is tiny. Also I believe Cooper S is loaded for insurance so you might want to check that. Cooper and One are okay for insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

How about a Scooby Impress-Yourself.....
    Fast,Reliable,Sporty Estate, quite Fugly tho'!
    http://www.mccarthycars.co.uk/pages/stock_details.asp?car_id=5402

lifer_sean wrote: »
    zAbbo, why the reference to the July 08 VRT cutoff ???
    For import, it's co2 based, but for taxing, it's outside the cutoff so would be taxed on engine size, so it's E614 (2litre) instead of E302 (153 co2). Not a huge difference, but would have been nice.

If that has changed - that's great. but from Motortax.ie
    Motor Tax for new vehicles registered on or after 1 July 2008 will be determined on the
    basis of seven CO2 bands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

peasant wrote: »
    I know, I know .. I sound like a spoilsport and the boring old fart that I am ...but in the current climate I'd half that budget.
    Still plenty of interesting cars to be had for that kind of money (and some cash in reserve for when the brown stuff hits the whirly thing ...if it comes to that)

I agree, its sad but if your not a premiership footballer at 22 you should probably be watching the pennies :o

You kinda know what you want so I would be on a plane to the UK to grab a bargain.

Volvo s40 are suppose to be class, but after driving a 1.6 diesel Focus, I cant see that s40 being much fun with that 1.6 engine.

This is a good deal.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1278491

I dont think you can go wrong one with a Golf, 10000e is a good budget and should get you a 05 or so with average milage and vrt.

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Volkswagen/Golf/results-Volkswagen-Golf.asp?InitFromSession=1&Page=1&Rnd=8E12BCF6

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

zAbbo wrote: »
    For import, it's co2 based, but for taxing, it's outside the cutoff so would be taxed on engine size, so it's E614 (2litre) instead of E302 (153 co2). Not a huge difference, but would have been nice.

Thats wrong Zabbo, it hasn't 'changed' it was always the way that cars in first half of year can be moved to co2 rates if the rates are lower.

co2 rates apply to:

i. NEW PRIVATE CARS registered on or after 1 July 2008
    ii. NEW PRIVATE CARS registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 where CO2 rate is lower than engine capacity (c.c) rate.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,18681,en.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

zAbbo wrote: »

zAbbo, sorry to disagree, but if you look closely at motortax.ie it says

"A private vehicle first registered abroad between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 inclusive and registered in Ireland on or after 1 July 2008 will be taxed on the CO2 rate and will continue to be charged on the CO2 rate."

See bottom of page 2:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/co2_emissions_rates_en.pdf

So the S40 2.0D taxes as 290 euro odd.

Late edit: I see copacetic has covered this also.

Cheers lads, sorry if the thread is derailed slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Alright lads,

Cheers for the replies,

Story is that I work as engineer @ sea on a very good steady wage, Im heading away again this friday and will be back in april and will be buying the car then, hopefully the market will be flooded with more cars!
    At the moment Im want suggestions and have clear idea what to get when Im back.

Yes, agree with you peasent, obviously I want keep my budget to a minimum as I dont want to invest to much into a car. 18000 would be absolute max if it was something decent, but maybe 10000-15000 would be more realistic. (ill actually edit my post!)

No interest in a scooby, ugly inside and out!

As well as the golf, the focus is a mixed bag, like the golf the standard model does nothing for me, would have to be the sport or in the focus's case a zetec.

Dont like the old S40, doesnt really suit to a young driver, also drove my friends one..didnt really appeal to me, cheers though!

What engine would your recommend for the S40, doesnt matter if its diesel or petrol as dont do much miles in the year due to my job?

Dont want to buy new, is going to UK the way to go?

Keep them suggestions coming!

• Advertisement

What engine would your recommend for the S40, doesnt matter if its diesel or petrol as dont do much miles in the year due to my job?

Dont want to buy new, is going to UK the way to go?

It would have to be either a 2.0d or 1.8 + petrol.

I havent driven the 1.6d S40, but I have had a spin in the Focus 1.6d with the same 110bhp.It suited the focus ok, but you wont win any races in an S40 with it :p

I think the S40 is class yoke and would be my choice out of the lot, its just a cool car, especially a white one.

UK is the way to go alright, especially if your buying diesel ( rate of tax only 20% on most modern diesels )

This 08 Sport one will set you back 17500e ( includes vrt )

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=VOLVO&min_pr=75&source=0&model=S40&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=2.0&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=17&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=42&ukcarsearch_full.y=16&start=6&distance=143&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200851325380562

humming and hawing here, Im really liking the r-designs ones but Ive reconsidered my budget and its too much, would you think the price will reduce dramatically because of the new year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

id reccomend a cooper s works, its what im looking to get myself in a few months.

could get a works within ur pricerange from the uk easy inc the vrt,

220bhp supercharged whine is addictive

all black, or dark silver/black would be my choice anaway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

BArra wrote: »
    id reccomend a cooper s works, its what im looking to get myself in a few months.

could get a works within ur pricerange from the uk easy inc the vrt,

220bhp supercharged whine is addictive

all black, or dark silver/black would be my choice anaway

For a 22yr old insurance would be astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thinking outside the box so maybe something like this:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1281965

Cheers lads for the suggestions,

looking at the alfa gt and honda accord already so also potential contenders!

Already got a insurance quote for the normal cooper s, which was 1300, so wonder what the works would be, but really think the mini is out due to space!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Already got a insurance quote for the normal cooper s, which was 1300

That's a really good quote, which insurer quoted you that?

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    That's a really good quote, which insurer quoted you that?
    www.123.ie, was the only company who quoted me online, gonna ring around tomorrow with the other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Damo - I think you're looking at all the right cars and at this stage it's probably best to try a couple of test drives. The S40 has an awkward shaped boot, with might not suit you if you're trying to carry a lot of gear, although I really like it otherwise.

I always tend to lean towards Saabs but that's just me - here's an estate 9-3 if you wanted something bigger:

http://www.loadzacars.ie/cars/used/search/details/2668205

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Thinking outside the box so maybe something like this:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1281965

That is some yoke, ****in hell.

hmmm, getting tempted by that alfa..high mileage though!

Yeah, will be popping into Johnson & perrot and blackwater motors, few a3's and s40 to test drive this week.

Im pretty Ill get a fair amount off the list price as there is no trade in (lupo's gone) and will be straight cash/bank draft..would I be right in saying that???

Hmm, saab 93, never thought of that..good suggestion, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

stick to something light weight, since thats what your used to with a lupo...

diahatsu charade turbo or clio sport or anything in that SUPER shopping throlly category should fit the bill

S.I.R wrote: »
    stick to something light weight, since thats what your used to with a lupo...

Fiat Bravo T Jet Sport would be the yoke to get then.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1070411

Similar in the uk can be had for 15k

how about a bmw 320d or 320cd? same boat as urself except 21, steady salary nd would be lookin at the sort of money you are next summer.. cheap to take in, cheap to tax and cheap on diesel.

http://pistonheads.com/sales/790896.htm
    http://pistonheads.com/sales/785164.htm
    http://pistonheads.com/sales/824662.htm

they're just examples but a nice 04 silver m sport with leather interior and low mileage for 15k -17k after import seems doable.. anyone else with me?

Whoa, so many suggestions! Defo dont want another lightweight car, had enough with the lupo!

ST a nice choice but never a fan of the old focus shape!

At this present moment my heart is with the S40 2.0D (for that extra poke!!), so testing driving that tomorrow, so if I like, we may have a winner!

Much as would like to go to the UK, just dont want the hassle, and need a car pretty swiftly when I get back (Dont like being too immobile too long!)

Some of those beemers are tempting though!

Some of those beemers are tempting though!

150bhp, 40+mpg and 0-60 in 8.8 seconds.. i'd never look at a bmw at this age except for the 320d. check them out.. such a nice car.

http://carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=112068

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What about the superb BMW 320i with the silky smooth super sounding straight 6?

BMWs are only worth it if they've got a silky smooth 6 pot under the bonnet, the 4 cylinder models i.e. 316i/318i/320d are best avoided because the petrols are very slow and hardly any more economical than the much quicker and smoother 6 cylinder models(the 4 cylinder petrols from 02 onwards are a big improvement on the older 4 cylinder models but a 6 cylinder is far superior) and the 4 cylinder diesel has serious turbo problems(the 02-04 models).

As a former S40 owner I would say as an absolute minimum it needs a 1.8. I actually had the previous(96-04) model in a 1.8.

Even the 1.8 is lacklustre. I'd be going for the 2.0 diesel if I were you. The 1.6 diesel is a nice engine but very slow. They are a very solid, comfortable and respectable car, and I couldn't recommend one highly enough.

• Advertisement

e92, i agree with you about the 320i.. lad in work has one. but at 22, for op, or myself at 21, insurance is the deal-breaker. 320d strikes a nice balance.. especially if ya do research on the turbo troubles and avoid cars from those periods.

anyways, this isn't a bmw thread.. but it's definately my recommendation.

op, how about an a4 instead of a3?

Advertisement