Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car to get?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

How about a Scooby Impress-Yourself.....
    Fast,Reliable,Sporty Estate, quite Fugly tho'!
    http://www.mccarthycars.co.uk/pages/stock_details.asp?car_id=5402

Identical (colour/mileage) to what I bought a month ago for 5k (personally I think the estate looks better than the saloon) .. much lower tax and reasonable insurance in the uk makes it a good drive, but not for ireland with such a young driver :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

e92, i agree with you about the 320i.. lad in work has one. but at 22, for op, or myself at 21, insurance is the deal-breaker. 320d strikes a nice balance.. especially if ya do research on the turbo troubles and avoid cars from those periods.

anyways, this isn't a bmw thread.. but it's definately my recommendation.

op, how about an a4 instead of a3?

Well I don't think the OP is likely to be interested in the Bee-Em either way, but I couldn't not say choose the straight 6 model if you know what I mean:D!

I just love straight 6s to bits. OTOH 4 pot diesels do nothing for me, and the 150 bhp 320d is just too much of a risk for me to tell someone to buy unless you're going for the newer 163 bhp engine in the E90 which so far has had no problems. I haven't tried the 136 bhp 320d(the original 320d) but that is an old school non common rail engine so I doubt it is any good although it is quite powerful even by today's standards for a 2.0 diesel.

The newer 2.0 Valvetronic 318i is a BIG improvement compared to the 1.9 8 valve heap of rubbish that is an insult to the BMW brand, thing is the car just feels like it is missing something, and that something is 2 extra cylinders;).

I think if insurance is a worry then a 318Ci with the 2.0 litre engine is the best option, though the straight 6 320i was always a 2.0 until 2001....

In all honesty the BMW was a bit of a wild suggestion, the Volvo is a more sensible bet and it has more insurance friendly engines too;).

E92 wrote: »
    In all honesty the BMW was a bit of a wild suggestion, the Volvo is a more sensible bet and it has more insurance friendly engines too;).

i do like volvo aswell.. i'm thinkin it's more a 25year olds car though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I see that the Alfa GT (probably my first choice) has been mentioned, so how about one of these as an outside contender?

I've only got 1 year's full NCB (aged 22) and 2 years named driving experience and I was quoted €1600 fully comp for one. Not too expensive to tax (if you get the 200K), 161bhp, available with 6 speed manual and hold their value freakishly well. You could land this one for 11.5k:

media?id=841776685

media?id=841776699

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Just an update:

Test drove the S40 today, absolutely loved it so have asked your man what I want, so there keeping posted me when a suitable car is available!

Cheers guys for all your help and recommendations!

• Advertisement
Advertisement