Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most economic heater

Options
  • 28-12-2008 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All,
    my girlfriend and I came from France and actually rent an little appartment.
    The problem is that we have not the hot Irish blud and the elelctric heater we use is too much expensive in electricity and not enough powerful.

I searched in Internet for petrol heating (I'm not sure of the word) but I didn't find the same we use in France (in exemple:
    5b3b_2.JPG

Is it a good idea to use this kind of stove ?
    Can we find easly petrol ?
    How much does cost the petrol ?
    Where can I find this kind of heater in Dublin (second hand if possible) ?

Thanks a lot,
    David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I've never seen anybody use one of those petrol heaters here. Are they quite safe to use indoors?

I often use an oil radiator (powered by electricity) if I need to heat up just one room in the house. Here is an example:

Oil_Heater.jpg

They are quite safe, and you should be able to get one for around €60 at shops such as Power City or DID Electrical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Pingue

Hi Morgase,
    Thank you for answered me.

The petrol heater I showed on the first post is very used in France.
    Certainly, it's not a central heating but it's the best for extra heating.
    The only desagreament is the bad smell when it start.

I will follow your advice and try to find a oil radiator.
    Also, I know that exists radian heater. The warm diffusion is beter than the other electric heaters. I seen one in LIDL one month ago.
    Do you know this kind of heater?
    Oil radiator are they better ?

Thanks,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Pingue wrote: »
    Hi Morgase,
    Thank you for answered me.

The petrol heater I showed on the first post is very used in France.
    Certainly, it's not a central heating but it's the best for extra heating.
    The only desagreament is the bad smell when it start.

I will follow your advice and try to find a oil radiator.
    Also, I know that exists radian heater. The warm diffusion is beter than the other electric heaters. I seen one in LIDL one month ago.
    Do you know this kind of heater?
    Oil radiator are they better ?

Thanks,
    David

An oil radiator like the one shown above is basically an electric heater. The oil is simply a fluid to help exchange energy from the electrical element to the steel of the radiator.

If your only heating a small room an electric heater might be ok, but it can be expensive.

There are heaters like you've shown above, they typically run on paraffin oil or kerosene. There can be an odour from these heaters.

The other option would a gas heater which uses bottles of gas, same as patio heaters etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It is not a Petrol heater you are looking for, it is a Paraffin heater. Petrol = gasoline and would be very dangerous to use for indoor heating.

Have a look here:

Check the price of paraffin here before you invest - it may be more expensive than it is in France!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Pingue wrote: »
    5b3b_2.JPG

Is it a good idea to use this kind of stove ?
    Can we find easly petrol ?
    How much does cost the petrol ?
    Where can I find this kind of heater in Dublin (second hand if possible) ?

Google Para glo -parafin heater ( kerosene ) 3KW costs about €225. Kerosene varies but I pay 68c/litre.
    Very safe heater as it shuts offs automatically if knocked or banged into.
    Very efficient instant heat, very economical to run. (20 litres lasts a week or two, 6 hours per day approx)

Best of all you can bring it with you when you leave / move.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for all this answers.
    Now I have the good keyword to search on google ;-)
    I will search where I can find paraffin and how much does it cost.

Thanks,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Those parafin heaters are very common in France alright.
    They take a couple of minutes to warm up, but once they have done so, they give a good heat. As it was mentioned above, they are self-quenching and designed with all sorts of safety devices.
    They are not designed to be used in tightly closed spaces, but are designed for (and considered safe for) room heating.

Hi,
    Is there somebody who know where can I find kerosene heater in Dublin ?
    I received a private message with an address in Dublin 24 but I live in Raheny and it should be better for me to find a nearest place or to find a shop in the city center.

Thanks,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Sorry Pingue,
    I PM the Importers telephone number & address to you - maybe you should ring them! They'd be the best people to ask.

Advertisement