Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Usit...J1 flight prices rip-off?

• 28-12-2008 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi guys! I booked my flights for the J1 last week (EI and BA; Cork-London-LA; 29th May-31st Aug) and it came to 741 which initially I thought was woah, kinda expensive but thinking about it, I suppose it wasn't too bad considering it's halfway across the world. So, out of curiosity, I looked up the same flights on the BA website and it came to 523euro! Correct me if you think I've made a mistake like, but that was for my return flights, taxes and all. Someone is wrong here! I'm going to ring Usit tomorrow, but just need to know if I'm missing something here and don't wanna make a fool outta myself lol (J1 virgin here, keep in mind). I know Usit will take a cut of it, but surely not 200euros worth?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Prices will vary. Often airlines will release sale seats that travel agencies won't have access to, sometimes the opposite is true and travel agents will buy X amount of seats for a price cheaper than they are sold on the web.

Also keep in mind the conditions attached to the fares may be different. A basic, cheap flight may be quite restrictive re: cancellations, changes etc where as more expensive fares may allow for more flexibility/cheaper fees etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lovemypinkhat

Okie dokie. I was just confused because I know these companies are dire for screwing people over (apparently anyhow). I've received no other info about my flights yet anyway so I suppose I'll have a look at the terms etc when I do :)
    Thanks!

Anyone have any personal experiences, good or bad, with Usit? Would like to know what I'm letting myself in for lol. How much are date changes after 13th March, roughly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

yah that the one in the usit office in ucc is is sour as grapes...

i rem last year when i was in there asking questions about the j1 with usit, she was not a lot of help with a sour gob on her.

soon as you showed up with a bit of cash, she was all life.

anaway sorry, just remember that with usit if your exams dont go so well you will be flown home, and then have the opportunity to go back out if that was needed..

then again you might have no need whatsoever for this

i presume your saying the 741e is "just" for the flights? as there is a usit fee on top of the flights unless they are running that promo like they did last year.

as regard date changes, its written on the documents they give you when you pay for the flights?? i went with delta and it has all the costs involved in date changing on the back of the sheet in small print

going from memory you can make one free change, then its something like 75e thereafter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lovemypinkhat

Nah I rang the office on Oliver Plunkett Street and she wasn't too bad (does sound exactly like the girl in the UL office though)...although I'd asked her for the info on prices etc so I can relate it all back to my friends before booking and she ended up booking them there and then :mad: At least if I'd known before she booked I coulda researched a bit more. And I'm prob going to have to make a few date changes because of her "mistake" which in turn is more money for them. Grr.

Don't think there's any promo with the flights as I got the free visa offer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i would expect different prices for different vendors, and a e200 difference doesnt surprise me. sure they have to make their money somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ocuf

Also, bear in mind that the euro has strengthened a lot against the sterling in recent weeks. Obviously BA deal in sterling therefore you will get cheaper deals paying in euro now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 deisesupreme

Hey man,
    Agree with what 'ocuf' has to say on your dilemma.
    Sterling has reached near equivelancy with the Euro.
    This crazy drop in value of sterling could be the main reason for the price gap.

Having dealt with Usit, i know they usually about a 25euro charge per transaction, for their services. Sometimes they have the best fares, other times you can find them on sites such as Expedia, Orbitz and Kayak.

Look at it this way, the dollar is dropping too, and unless Obama and co can turn the economy around, your Euro savings are gonna be worth loads once you hit the States.
    enjoy the summer dude.
    dD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

J1 visas are an absolute farce. The fact that a state effectively contracts out such visa work to third party agencies is ridiculous. I went to the U.S one year working as an intern, so I didn't need a visa, flights cost 400. The following year I had to get a J12 visa going to the same city. The price went up to 1200 because of all costs. Absolutely ridiculous.

Advertisement