Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Could it be gift wrapping or an increase in VAT once you selected ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I just ran the numbers and you're right, it's the VAT. I didn't even think of it.
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Jason1984 wrote: »
    I just ran the numbers and you're right, it's the VAT. I didn't even think of it.
    Thanks!
    That's why we're here! Open 365 days, 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I noticed that before with Amazon too. Does that mean that buying from amazon "you are being patriotic" and the taxes are going to the Irish government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It probably covers the irish end of things ,they have a p.o box in Dublin 17 for non deliveries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

randomer wrote: »
    I noticed that before with Amazon too. Does that mean that buying from amazon "you are being patriotic" and the taxes are going to the Irish government?

As far as I recall, if a retailer in another EU country sells above goods which total in excess a certain threshold (it was €35,000 at one stage, may be more now), they are legally required to register for and pay (charge) Irish VAT on all sales to Ireland (not just those in excess of the threshold).

I'd say Amazon are likely registered for Irish VAT and as a result are correctly charging extra VAT when you add an item to your basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Aye, I think the UK VAT rate on books is 0%

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

As far as I know, Irish Vat on most books is zero also.
    The difference is usually on electronics - we are 21.5% and i think they are now 15% so is noticeable enough difference.

Advertisement