Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity society??

Options
  • 28-12-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I want to volunteer for a charity for a few hours every week. I think I'd like going around to the homeless and giving them soup and blankets and ****, but I'd be open to most forms of charity work (excluding children and the mentally handicapped)

Does such a society exist in DIT? If so, how would I go about joining?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The chaplaincy run some things along those lines.

more info here: http://chaplaincy.dit.ie/howu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Thanks, thats exactly what I'm looking for:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

maybe i'd look into your language first?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

SVP

Email: svp@socs.dit.ie

Society Aims:
    The SVP provides student volunteers for various activites in the local area. In DIT our focus is on educational support for children in disadvantaged areas. Our activities include primary school homework clubs, a breakfast club and a playground supervision programme.

Society Activites:
    We are always trying to increase the level of student involvement in our society so that we can launch more activities, arrange more outings for the children and organise more fundraising events. Last year we organised a highly successful table quiz in the Picture House Bar on Camden St. We also organised a trip at Christmas for the children in the homework clubs, we brought them to see Santa in Kells. In order to organise these events we need volunteers.

SUAS Society
    Email: suassociety@socs.dit.ie

Society Aims:
    The DIT SUAS Society represents the wider organization of SUAS (www.suas.ie) and is made up of enthusiastic DIT college students! The Society is about having fun, getting involved, meeting new people and making a difference.

Society Activites:
    Awareness raising activities encouraging students to become more interested in global issues and aiming to promote multiculturalism within Ireland. Suas Global Issues Seminar Series which are evening coursesthat focus on world issues and development that run at the college. Keep posted for dates Mentoring and educational projects that are designed to support children from disadvantaged areas. Fund raising activities for students to raise money to support Suas's partner schools in India and Kenya. Being social, meeting new people etc... We are planning a trip down to Cork for the Inter varsity hoopla some time soon so we'll keep you posted on that too. Any students interested in joining feel free to contact us on our bebo page (http://www.bebo.com/SuasD) or DITSU email.

I know you said you didn't want to do charity work with children but these societies are all I know of - you could have a look at the list of societies here for more :)

I'm trying to find a way to be less selfish and make a difference to somebody else's life, however small. I don't feel there is a need for that kind of nit picking.

So suck my balls. Ma ha.

• Advertisement

disssco wrote: »
    excluding children and the mentally handicapped

I just realised that this could be read as me not liking children or the mentally disabled, but the reason I don't want to work with either is I know myself that I don't have the great amount of patience required for this kind of work. I have nothing against either.

Also thanks yevveh for that information, I have already made some enquires into the Simon community. I will remember them for the future if I feel like taking on some more charity work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Hiya,

The Societies Office, Community Links and other groups in DIT (DITSU, Chaplaincy, Sports, etc) have come together to provide a forum on volunteering in DIT. Just before Christmas they launched a webpage showing all the volunteering opportunities for students in DIT.

It can be found here:
    http://www.dit.ie/studentaction/

Hope that's helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

Im part of one of the Charity Events run by chaplincy called

Peace Corps Localised.

There are Groups in Kevin St, Bolton St. and Mount Joy Square

Contact any of the Chaplins or PM me about it

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

facepalm.jpg

Anyone up for doing some charity work this year? I liked the way it was presented on that CD we got in the gold pack.

Advertisement