Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair growth

Options
  • 28-12-2008 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Been a vegetarian for about 8 years now. Pretty healthy apart from one thing that has been bothering me. My hair doesn't grow. It's been the same length for years now, there is a little re growth but only a tiny amount. Now factors in this could also be colouring and straightening but a friend of mine is a nurse and she said vegetarians hair doesn't grow as fast....which I thought was a bit odd as I have vegetarian friends who don't have the same complaint....do any of ye have any experience of this? I'm not the best when it comes to supplements etc, anything I could do to help?

Or is it all in my head?! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I have never heard of such a thing. I've been veggie/vegan for at least 8 years also and have never noticed such a thing.

You have better talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you are concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

I've actually heard it before, that's the thing, so thought I'd see if anyone else had similar experiences.

Health wise I'm fine, never sick. So it's not something that overly concerns me but was just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Very strange, I've been veggie 3 years and my hair grows the same as before. Haven't heard of any veggies having that problem. Maybe you're lacking in some nutrient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

up until my late teens I had unfeasibly thick hair. Barbers used to weep when I sat in their chair, those "thinning scissors" had to be used on me first before the haircut proper began. I went veggie at about 20 and by 24 my hair was definitely thinning. As my moniker will testify I have since embraced the Mach3 but I always suspected that the vegetarian diet, possibly because of a drop in B vitamins, was the main factor in my thinning hair. That said I have no problem with being bald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Scrappy112

It has to do with the amount of protein you eat as far as I know. If your a vegetarian but still eating the right amount of protein yor hair should grow fine but as It can be more difficult for vegetarians to eat as much, maybe thats why your friend said that. I've heard nuts are good for hair growth :)

• Advertisement

That's probably it, I have to admit I'm not the best vegetarian in the world regarding getting enough protein. But I'm wary of nuts too because they're so fattening and I'm trying to lose weight so lose lose for me. Any nuts/seeds that are high in protein but low in fat? (I know you need some fat but the less fatty nuts the better if possible)

Looked up slowing hair growth/thinning of hair regarding Vegetarians on the net and there is a bit on there alright. But if it's just down to protein I'll try to get more in to my diet. I have an egg every day and have a bit of milk and cheese. I take it this isn't enough? I've looked at some of the stickies but still not sure on the best nut option for someone who's keen not to put on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

so, it seems that a balanced diet and a look at your vitamin intake would be worth while after reading the replies! if you are curious whether your vitamin levels are alright (B's inparticular) you could get a blood test done. i'd be curious myself, but not enough to go for one - anything but!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Scrappy112

I'd go for sunflower seeds and almonds for highest protein lowest fat. not really sure how much. its 2-3 portions of proteins such as eggs, nuts and seeds and then 2-3 of dairy. so prob could up it a bit :)

Thanks Scrappy :) Apart from the hair issue it's something I should do for general health anyway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Scrappy112 wrote: »
    It has to do with the amount of protein you eat as far as I know.
    MMmmm I dunno. I can only speak for myself but at this time I would have been taking a lot of proteinin teh form of soya products and as I was doing a lot of weightlifting at the time I was on protein supplements too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    MMmmm I dunno. I can only speak for myself but at this time I would have been taking a lot of proteinin teh form of soya products and as I was doing a lot of weightlifting at the time I was on protein supplements too.

When weightlifting were you taking other supplements that might have contained testosterone? That has been linked to hair loss also.

Advertisement