Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Technics 1210 problem

• 28-12-2008 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A'ight,

I bought a pair of Technics 1210 MK2s from a friend of a friend a couple of months ago and I'm having a little trouble with the pitch slider on one of them.

First of all, when the slider is on zero and in the notch, the record doesn't actually play at the right bpm. It usually goes about 4 or 5 bpm too fast. But as I move it out of the notch to around the two position the record slows down and hits the right bpm.

The other problem is that the deck occasionally starts to increase and decrease the speed of the record randomly in the middle of a mix - the speed kind of wobbles - which obviously ruins it.

I know it's really easy to get spare parts for 1210s and that they can be fairly easy to install. Does it look like I need a need pitch slider or could it be something else? I came across something that suggested it could be the pot beneath the slider but I'm not really sure.

I imagine someone else has experienced this before with 1210s...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

It sounds like you need a new pitch to me mate and AFAIK you can get these for around 30euro each. My advice would be to get the parts yourself 1st and the shop around and see who will fit them the cheapest. Usually places that mend this type of thing will overcharge for spare parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

Ravelleman wrote: »
    A'ight,

I bought a pair of Technics 1210 MK2s from a friend of a friend a couple of months ago and I'm having a little trouble with the pitch slider on one of them.

First of all, when the slider is on zero and in the notch, the record doesn't actually play at the right bpm. It usually goes about 4 or 5 bpm too fast. But as I move it out of the notch to around the two position the record slows down and hits the right bpm.

The other problem is that the deck occasionally starts to increase and decrease the speed of the record randomly in the middle of a mix - the speed kind of wobbles - which obviously ruins it.

I know it's really easy to get spare parts for 1210s and that they can be fairly easy to install. Does it look like I need a need pitch slider or could it be something else? I came across something that suggested it could be the pot beneath the slider but I'm not really sure.

I imagine someone else has experienced this before with 1210s...

tell me about it-a big design flaw in 1210's is the green light well, because it doesnt have a smooth notch when you hit it, it goes too fast/slow, to be honest i havent found a sloution-don't bother replacing the sliders unless it goes out of sync in general-just push the speed to plus or minus either side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

What about the speed wobbling that I'm getting? About once every 30 mins the speed randomly starts to change between 5 bpm too slow and 5 bpm too fast without me touching anything...

Thanks for the replies by the bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

to be honest i havent found a sloution

Ask the repairer to take out the ball bearing and disconnect the LED ;) thats the fix far as i can remember. you lose quartz lock :rolleyes: but gain a smooth transition between +/-

Sounds like its the pitch fader alright, have you tried a shot of servisol spray cleaner by chance, just in case its dirt or some other "substance" :D ... if that doesnt work its new fader time

... you can buy servisol in maplin, worth a shot, it'd be cheaper than a new fader and you can use it on dirty mixer faders too in the future, some people say wd-40 but slight overuse strips faders rapid.

I'll definitely give the Servisol a go...

Do you think the two problems are related?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Possibly, The fader jumping randomly sounds like its either just worn out or needs a clean.

When you say its playing the correct BPM at +2 do you mean the dots lit up by the strobe stay static in that position?

.. the quartz should lock to 33/45 once the LED is lit, sounds weird if it doesn't regardless of a dodgy pitch fader, give the servicol a shot anyhow, hopefully its just gunked up.

No, the led only lights up when the slider is in the notch. Now that I about it, the wobbling only really occurs when the slider is in and around 2. Never when it's in the notch anyway. I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

fit mk5 pitches into your 1210's, which they don't have the quartz lock

That won't make them explode or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

senan s wrote: »
    fit mk5 pitches into your 1210's, which they don't have the quartz lock

You'll have to cut a couple of circuits and a diode to stop quartz lock engaging once the slider is between +1 & -1 if you put mk5 pitches in a mk2 deck as otherwise it'll engage and will lock to 0 which you don't want

Tuff Break wrote: »

That's not the problem but thanks for the link anyway. I needed to adjust the brake and his video was just what I needed.

-

I found a guide that described the problem I'm having with the pitch slider. I need to find a multimeter and adjust the pitch pot to 2.7 ohms. I should get true zero then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CyrildoSquirrel

Technics 1210? Problem?
    What is this language which you are speaking?

(You're not allowed to insinuate that there could ever be a problem with 1210s)

That's not the problem but thanks for the link anyway. I needed to adjust the brake and his video was just what I needed.

-

I found a guide that described the problem I'm having with the pitch slider. I need to find a multimeter and adjust the pitch pot to 2.7 ohms. I should get true zero then...

Try sorting it with the pots and a multimeter first and make sure you're tuning the right pots, there are two different ones for the pitch one on the top of the circuit board and one on the bottom (one is for true zero tuning and one for pitch widening) - one has to be tuned to ohms and the other to volts as far as I remember...

If there's still a problem, you might need a new slider

Thanks for the tip.

Where might I buy or preferably borrow a multimeter?

Thanks for the tip.

I bought one in Peats in town for about €16, otherwise borrow from a sparky I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thanks for the tip.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=multimeter&source=15&menu=-8

Jev/N wrote: »
    Try sorting it with the pots and a multimeter first and make sure you're tuning the right pots, there are two different ones for the pitch one on the top of the circuit board and one on the bottom (one is for true zero tuning and one for pitch widening) - one has to be tuned to ohms and the other to volts as far as I remember...

If there's still a problem, you might need a new slider

Are you sure about this? I took the circuit board out and there definitely isn't a second pitch pot at the bottom...

The guide I found also mentions the other pot but I'm not sure what it's referring to. All I can find is the one in the picture below... Where exactly is the hole for the other pot?

http://www.simonloewen.com/docs/pitch_control_resistor.jpg

I can't remember exactly as it's awhile since I've opened them up but I think one is under the platter and the other is on the underside of the deck

• Advertisement
Advertisement