Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Considering doing Route 66

Options
  • 28-12-2008 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

Am i crazy:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am seriously considering taking a trip across america next summer, just want to know if anyone has done it, anyone that crazy.

If you were doing it what would be the thing you would have to see/do.

Also i will have to start in Detroit(the only state where under 21's can rent a car).

What should i look out for.

Would i better buying a car over there, alá Top Gear

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Considering this myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Gonna do it meself someday on a motorbike. Cant fecking wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd love to do it, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

That would be a dream trip.

I'd say buying a car over there will be more trouble than its worth, but it would probably be more fun. You could always watch ebay.com and look for a car in the city your flying into. There's no nct equivalent over there, so no real guide to know what condition its in beforehand.
    Insurance, plates could be sorted beforehand but you would need to be mechanical minded to take on such a task.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Senna wrote: »
    That would be a dream trip.

I'd say buying a car over there will be more trouble than its worth, but it would probably be more fun. You could always watch ebay.com and look for a car in the city your flying into. There's no nct equivalent over there, so no real guide to know what condition its in beforehand.
    Insurance, plates could be sorted beforehand but you would need to be mechanical minded to take on such a task.

The whole fixing it and waiting for it to break i think would add to the whole fun of it.How does insurance work over there??

I know alot of guides say you can do it in ten days, but i was allowing for 21 just so if i see somthing in the distance, i can then go and investigate the think in the distance.

Thanks all, keep the advice coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

im planning on driving from maine all the way down to flordia then across to oregon and california taking in arizona colorado vegas chicago at least on the way.

iv got about 4 months to do it maybe 3 and probably 2 mtes to do it with but even if they dont come ill do it on my own

cant wait should be epic

good luck man hope it works out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yes, did some of it myself. Alot of the original route 66 is long gone. Arizona is a fab part of it. Check out monument valley, canyon de shelly, meteor crater near Flagstaff, the petrified forest etc, and of course the grand canyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

OP, am very jealous, it's something I'd love to do, but no one I know would be interested in it.......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

cjmcork wrote: »
    no one I know would be interested in it.

I feel you :pac:

I would also love to do this but all my mates are either settled down or broke.

If your over 21 are you sorted insurance wise or is it like spain with 21 here, 25 there etcetera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Yes, did some of it myself. Alot of the original route 66 is long gone. Arizona is a fab part of it. Check out monument valley, canyon de shelly, meteor crater near Flagstaff, the petrified forest etc, and of course the grand canyon.

What did you drive, big V8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Tony Broke wrote: »
    I feel you :pac:

I would also love to do this but all my mates are either settled down or broke.

If your over 21 are you sorted insurance wise or is it like spain with 21 here, 25 there etcetera?

snap - all buddies married with kids and no interest in it now............gits!

Tony Broke wrote: »
    What did you drive, big V8?

A Ford Taurus. :(

Route 66 cuts thru north Texas, Oklahoma, but theres nothing much there. If I were you id head north away from route 66 into Colorado, and into south Utah for that part of the trip. The novelty of driving on or near route 66 will wear thin very quickly when there nothing but flat plains for hundreds of miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Am i crazy:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am seriously considering taking a trip across america next summer, just want to know if anyone has done it, anyone that crazy.

If you were doing it what would be the thing you would have to see/do.

Also i will have to start in Detroit(the only state where under 21's can rent a car).

What should i look out for.

Would i better buying a car over there, alá Top Gear

Thanks

apart from clocking your car/bike, getting pulled every 5 mins by police and easy american birds its rather boring actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

S.I.R wrote: »
    apart from clocking your car/bike, getting pulled every 5 mins by police and easy american birds its rather boring actually.

So you have traveled route 66 then, dont think so.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

BACK IN YOUR BOX OF ANGER AND SPITE

Thanks for all the advice, maybe just a big road trip across america, and not route 66, hmm but i would have to be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

If I was doing a roadtrip through the states I'd do the west coast, IIRC there's a highway running much/all of it, so I'd start at the canadian border and go aaalll the way down. Oregon and California look incredible.

I have several roadtrips that come before that one though (and should be a bit cheaper), hopefully next will be the stelvio pass!

A mate of mine did the west coast road trip and said it was fab but he agreed that the trip we did from Kansas thru Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona was better due to the sheer variety of scenery. The scenery up the west coast really doesnt vary a whole heap. Hes been in 46 states, myself Ive been in 37 states and have to say the the states to defo see alot of are Colordao, Utah, Arizona and California. Route 66 sounds like a great trip but defo needs a few tweaks to really see the best of what the USA has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Ive done the Pacific Coast Highway/Route 101 from San Diego to San Francisco. Its really cool alright. car rental worker liked our Irish accents so upgraded us to a convertible for free. The beaches are really something else, a must for everyone! As you go further north, the weather gets a bit colder and the scenery changes from being desert like, to forests and then to vinyards etc.
    Considering a road trip from Orlando, FL to Houston Tx this summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭hallstatt

I would highly driving across the states. Unreal scenery and crazy S**t to be seen.I lived everywhere from boston to san fran and down as far as houston. One word of warning !!!!! Never ever ever ever do this journey by greyhound bus. Done it once it was an absolute nightmare. I think most of 66 is now gone but parts of it remain. Good luck any brother

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

we had cops that did last summer so in for a party. they even made a dvd a bout it. they were from the tuam and roscommon area. i'm sure i can get a name off the dvd if ya want

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Would like to do San Fran or LA to Mexico, short but looks good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement