Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations for Free website creator?

Options
  • 28-12-2008 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    I already have a website and my domain name is registered and I pay for hosting. I'm not happy with my website or the system I use to edit it and I would like to completly redesign it. I have the time to do this at the moment but I do not have any web design or coding experience. Is there any way I can do this myself. Ideally I would like a software or online system where I can change the text and images on my website.

Any advice appreciated ( please try and answer without jargon!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Personal website? Commercial website? Gotta give us a little bit more info to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nchch

Apologies - It is a commercial website for a retail shop I own. I don't need it to have any e-commerce functionality, just an information site with images.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If it's for a commercial site then I would recommend hiring someone to do it for you.

If you need to keep costs down, then you could buy a template design, and find someone to do the changes cheaply on adverts.ie. That doesn't suit many businesses who'd require a custom design, but may suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

There are a number of website builders available which may suit your purposes(including our own). The thing to be aware of with free offers is whether there are any hidden catches for instance most of the free builders would place advertising in front of your website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

p wrote: »
    If it's for a commercial site then I would recommend hiring someone to do it for you.

If you need to keep costs down, then you could buy a template design, and find someone to do the changes cheaply on adverts.ie. That doesn't suit many businesses who'd require a custom design, but may suit your needs.

+1 for this. Doing it yourself will probably not have the same finish as a professional site (even it is a template) and you are talking about the public face of your business on the internet. If it looks amatuer and cheap then it it says your company is amatuer and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

I don't think there is any harm in giving a shot at designing your own site if you have the time and the inclination. Kompozer is free. You don't necessarily need to start from scratch and could use a template (see OSWD).

Having said that it will probably look better and rank better if you have the money to spend on a reputable pro. Here are the basics of how to get a website up and running. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Google has a site builder. Might be worth looking into since you just want a few pages.

http://pages.google.com/

actually its changed to http://sites.google.com/

Might not be any use for a commercial site.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

I would pay a professional company for the site redesign, but ensure that they give you a CMS so that you can update images and pages yourself. If you want to keep the original design but merely change the site content, this is really easy to do with a CMS where it is an open-source CMS or something a company has built themselves.

Visit http://www.vrangsinn.net/demo/bandAdministrationDemo.php to see how simple it can be to edit your own site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

nchch wrote: »
    ...I have the time to do this at the moment but I do not have any web design or coding experience. ...

Consider if you'll have time in the future. If it were me I get someone else to do, but with have them take you through it in detail, as part of the contract, and perhaps have you build only a part of it under their instruction. Rather than the whole thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement