Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Housemate.

Options
  • 29-12-2008 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi.

Just a quick post to look for some advice and see if anyone has any similar experience. I recently enough moved into a 4 bedroom house with 3 others. When moving in it was quite clear that I was moving in with just three others. Since then however one of my house mates has their partner over for about 5-6 nights a week. Another house mate has their partner over about 3-4 nights a week. I have grown increasingly frustrated recently as it is hard enough sharing the living space with 3 others let alone 4 or 5. What should I do in this situation? Am I within my rights to mention it to the others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

are you within your rights? of course you are.

will it go down well, or will it change anything?
    i dont think so, your the new person, they have their ways that suit them so i think they are going to be happier to continue on as is. the best option i could see here would be to move out and find somewhere quieter. chalk it down to experience and make it one of the questions you ask before moving in.

next step is to check your lease, are you subletting etc, and is it fixed term or month to month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

yeah i agree with subway i dont think it will change anything,
    i moved into a house before and the guy there already said he had his g/f to stay over about 3 nights a week,that quickly became 7 nights a week,he also told us the house was non smoking,when we (another guy moved in a few days after me) asked the landlord he said he didnt mind if we smoked inside!,he also said he lived ther 3 years, again when we asked the landlord he said he was there 9months,it was strange for us because we were new to the house and i eventually moved out over this crap,sorry for the rant,,but there wasnt much we could do without a confrontation

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

You're on to a hiding to nothing.

If you say nothing the situation will continue and you will seethe, if you say something the situation will either stay as is or get worse and you will be the bad boy and seethe even further.

Unfortunately this is the life of a sharer -I did it once and would never do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yeah, I don't think there's anything you can do. I've seen threads like these on Personal Issues from time to time. The number of nights that boyfriends/girlfriends stay over is a vexed issue.

Advertisement