Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washine Machine Question

Options
  • 29-12-2008 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Hi

Here is a scenario. My brother is renting out a house.

When he rented it there was a old washine machine in the house which the tennants used.

Can he tell the tennants to go ahead and replace it with a washine machine of their own at their expense which they can take away?

Or simply because he left a machine in the house is it his responsiblity to replace/repair it?

At no piont in the tennacy agreement was a washing machine mentioned.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

It is his responsibility. A landlord has a right to provide tenants with basic things such as a washing machine. A drier no, but yes he does for a washing machine as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

As a rule of thumb, anything that was there when the tenants moved in is the LL's responsibility (barring the tenants doing anything stupid or malicious).
    There is a list of the minimum that should be in a rented dwelling too, but I can't find it offhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

To be honest, I would tell him to go and take a running jump if he said that to me..

Who rents a place and gets a washing machine and takes it with them? I would bring a TV or a DVD player and bring it with me, not a gigantic 'white good'

I rented a place once where the cooker broke, the landlord told me to spend up to x amount and replace it and then deduct that out of next months rent - thats what I would expect to happen here tbh [or your brother goes to the sales and gets cheap and nasty washing machine for the place]

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

I rented a place once where the cooker broke, the landlord told me to spend up to x amount and replace it and then deduct that out of next months rent
    I hope you also charged landlord for your time to go and buy goods for him and then wait in while his cooker was delivered. Bloody cheek of some landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ZYX wrote: »
    I hope you also charged landlord for your time to go and buy goods for him and then wait in while his cooker was delivered. Bloody cheek of some landlords.

The brother got to get the cooker of his choice, rather than the cheapest one the landlord could find, I certainly wouldn't mind if I was renting a place to be asked to pick up such an item if the landlord was paying for it.

Of course some people are so precious that they clearly don't have the time to do any shopping at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Exactly, I'd have bought the nicest cooker I could have!, that wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Certainly if the WM was in the advertising or lease, I would expect the landlord to be replacing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

He has despatched a repairman to fix it...

In the lease upkeep of all existing electrical goods are his remit.

Thanks lads

Advertisement