Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

which would you choose??

Options
  • 29-12-2008 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Hello....

My old man is gettin on a bit now, and he wants to go for a small easy to drive run about car, we've made a short-list of four cars, which one would be best??

Thanks,

which one for an old man 17 votes

nissan micra
    0% 0 votes
    suzuki swift
    23% 4 votes
    citroen c3
    58% 10 votes
    skoda fabia
    17% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

no chance of him buying a nice big BMW or Merc and getting you insurred on it :) i bet u have asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Skoda, Its the biggest, best build quality, most reliable and if bought in diesel will go light years on one tank!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

for economy, comfort and reliability definately the Nissan

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Comfort? Nissan?

The current Nissan Micra was the least comfortable car I have *EVER* driven. Admittedly my height didn't help things, but it is really designed for 5'3" nuns or something. Its horrific for a grown man to drive.

Economy wise the one I had - 1.2 Sport I think - sucked 7 euros on a 70km return journey, I can normally do that same journey 5 times + some other driving about the town for under 30 quid a week of fuel in a similarly sized, larger engined (but still petrol) car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Micra can feck off.

No idea about the C3.

I'd go with either the Swift or the Fabia.. swinging towards the Swift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

fryup wrote: »
    Hello....

My old man is gettin on a bit now, and he wants to go for a small easy to drive run about car, we've made a short-list of four cars, which one would be best??

Thanks,

I'd choose none of them.

He should look seriously at the Fiat Panda, it will do everything that the others will do but it costs less to buy meaning he will be able to buy a younger Panda for similar money to a Micra, Fabia, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm fed up to me back teeth getting stuck behind old people in micra's, a skoda might make a nice change. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd say from a driving point of view they're probably all pretty much the same.

What's going to make the difference for your father is the ease of getting in and out. So, no car that he has to fold himself in to and crawl out again, but something with a high seat and a big door opening. From your shortlist the C3 would be the winner there ...another contender would be the Ford Fusion.

A real oddball, but quite a clever concept would be this here: (not to everybodies taste though :D)
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1252321
    CB4_1093677_2_440673.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I'd second Peasant's ford fusion suggestion. Also, the 03 onwards fiesta is an easy enough car to get in and out of - my fathers back isnt the best, but he finds it easy to get in and out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd choose none of them.

He should look seriously at the Fiat Panda, it will do everything that the others will do but it costs less to buy meaning he will be able to buy a younger Panda for similar money to a Micra, Fabia, etc.

I usually get shouted at for making that suggestion, so I'll second it instead.

You can probably get an in-warranty example for less than an older, out of warranty Nissan. The Panda scores higher than any of the others mentioned so far in the Top Gear/JDP reliability surveys at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd say the panda would be a good bet too, the high seating position considering its class is a plus, they're surprisingly roomy and are easy to drive/handle. They even have a "city" mode to make the steering uber light for parking etc. I'd go for a diesel model, but they're relatively rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Fiat 500, Mini Cooper?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Car magazines seem to think a Honda Jazz is the best car for peple in your dad's situation, although they can be a bit pricey. I haven't driven any of the cars you mention so can't really say which would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mossir

Do him a favor, tell him TOYOTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Mossir wrote: »

ya, either the Yaris or a Honda Jazz.

Mate of mine is selling his mothers 07 Yaris at the moment. She's getting another one

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mossir wrote: »

Good point, they are so dreary they can double as a coffin when the time comes.:)

I've been in a Jazz a few times(the same one) and it's not somewhere I'd be rushing to be travelling in again, didnt feel at all comfortable(maybe I'm just used to comfy french cars at this atage)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Thx everyone for your suggestions......

yes we've taught about the panda and the yaris....but....

we have an inferior complex about Fiat (had one before and it broke our hearts)

and yes toyota are the most reliable..but their cars are BLAND

Advertisement