Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HELP - oil & water mix

Options
  • 29-12-2008 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Ive recently noticed some oil mixed with water in the radiator of my car, its also leaking a wee bit of oil.

And also its running hotter than normal, the temp gauge is usually stuck at the three quarters point even when i'm cruising along.

Would anyone know what this is the sign of??

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It *can* (but isn't always) be a sign of a head gasket failure. Whats the car (make/model/year)?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

MYOB wrote: »
    It *can* (but isn't always) be a sign of a head gasket failure. Whats the car (make/model/year)?

its a 97 citroen zx with 90k on the clock

Diesel by any chance?

MYOB wrote: »
    Diesel by any chance?

petrol 1.4...drives fine, but concerned with the over heating

Definitely get it checked out; the diesel in the ZX was known to be head gasket happy so the petrol could be similar...

• Advertisement

head gasket...is that expensive??

a ball-park figure??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Its never cheap, alot of work involved, its gonna cost somewhere in the region of 400 upwards! whats the car worth?

JackFrosty wrote: »
    whats the car worth?

it depends...................on the amount of petrol in it:o

me thinks i'll have to go car shopping soon:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

the head-gasket job may not be too expensive in itself. The problem is that the engine head may need be shaved (skimed) by machine first if damaged - usually by overheating.

If you'd rather keep the car than buy a new one, get it checked out by a mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

fryup wrote: »
    Ive recently noticed some oil mixed with water in the radiator of my car, its also leaking a wee bit of oil.

And also its running hotter than normal, the temp gauge is usually stuck at the three quarters point even when i'm cruising along.

Would anyone know what this is the sign of??

Thanks,

Stop driving. You will warp the cylinder head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement