Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Name question

Options
  • 29-12-2008 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I plan to register a Business Name for myself. Do I still have to put my own name next to it on invoices, websites and flyers?

In other words, does it have to show there is only one person behind the company?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Invoices will require your name and PPS number, Flyers don't require and personal info as they are only an invitation to tender. The website "Whois" will give away the owners name so although you don't have to write Your Name T/A... every time, there is also no room to hide behind a registered name as all the info is available to the public at Cro.ie

I think you'll find people care very little about how many people are running the business or its size once its a credible service / product. Pretending to be a big business is rarely a good idea and things like not being VAT registered are usually big give aways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

The website "Whois" will give away the owners name so although you don't have to write Your Name T/A... every time, there is also no room to hide behind a registered name

I think you'll find people care very little about how many people are running the business or its size once its a credible service / product.

I agree with fancy dresser that most people do not care how many people are running a business as long as the service is good, if fact the majority of small businesses in Ireland are 1 or 2 people enterprises.

With regard to domain name whois, many hosting companies do offer privacy options to hide the registrants details (normally for a small fee)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Invoices will require your name and PPS number...

WTF I have never seen a PPS number on an invoice or any other document generated for distribution to the public by a sole trader.

Even the slickest sole trader I know mentions the CRO number of his "Business Name" (he is John Smith t/a Widget Enterprises)

But if one is just John Smith one need not register a RBN with the CRO so one has no number of any kind, so perhaps the PPS is worth mentioning? but is it mandatory and isin't is a sensitive piece of info?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Sole Traders don't have to be single people enterprises. They are just owned by one person.

The only number you need on you Invoices apart from your telephone numbers would be your Vat number if you are Vat Registered Not your PPS number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Kine

I can't imagine a PPS number being required, it's quite a sensitive piece of information, and with someone elses, identity theft is a LOT easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Kine wrote: »
    I can't imagine a PPS number being required, it's quite a sensitive piece of information, and with someone elses, identity theft is a LOT easier.

Yes - but selfemployed - their VAT number is their PPS No! Strange but true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Kine

Really? did not know that, insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Kine wrote: »
    Really? did not know that, insane!

Thats what i thought - tiz true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

Yes - but selfemployed - their VAT number is their PPS No! Strange but true

MOST of the time, but not all the time. I've had a couple clients who've presumed their Vat number will be the same as their PPS number, and have gone ahead and printed up invoices dockets etc, only for their Vat number to come back as something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JESSELVA

PPS No is not to be displayed on Invoices', but if VAT Registered VAT No MUST be shown. Often, indeed most frequently in the case of sole traders', the VAT No assigned will be the same as the individual's PPS No, but in all cases' will have the letters IE in fromt of it, for example, IE 1234567A. Bear in mind, it is possible for a person to be given different numbers by the revenue commissiners for each tax head they are registered under. You do not have to show your business name's registered number on Invoices' or receipts' but if you are a Limited Company you must show your Company Registration Number, and if VAT Registered, your VAT Registration Number, and if a registered charity, your charity number on all official documents such as Letter Heads, Invoices', Receipts' ect. Advertising Material does not need such detail, unless by choice of business person or company.

• Advertisement
Advertisement