Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a labret piercing damage my teeth?

Options
  • 29-12-2008 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Howdy,

I was 100% certain that I wanted to get my lip done, and my mother of all people reminded me that it can destroy your front teeth. :/ A few mates of mine who have it done say yes, it wears away your teeth and a few other mates say that's absurd and they've never had a problem. My teeth are totally arseways and I really don't wanan wreck them more than they already are!

So I was wondering if anyone has had any bad tooth-related experience with this? Someone told me you can get a bar put in the piercing and get a wooden or plastic stud on the inside, but don't you have to have a ring put in when you first get it done?

Also, does anyone know of any apprentice piercers looking for guinea pigs? I have not paid a cent for any of my piercings (thanks to Ruth in Celestial Ring :D ) And I'd love to get some more lobe piercings and the labret....:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

my understanding is the metal can chip away at the enamel.

but the big prob with backstreet jobs is with infection and because its your face i would be careful. my niece needs plastic surgery for a hole in her cheek.

you can get spring loaded fakes to try out - not ideal i know but worth concidering.

anyway if you need your mums permission you are too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WanderlustQueen

Hahaha, I'm 24! my mother just hates the feckin' things!
    I got a saffold, lobe and nose done for free and have never had any problems with them. My friend came along to watch me get my first one done, and ended up getting a rook, conch, transverse lobe and tongue done for free and has not had any problems either...They were all supervised by Aine (legend) jewellery and everything was free....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The tongue and labret will chip tooth enamel if they have tooth contact on the basis that the metal is harder than your teeth.

Thats the reality-its a no brainer. You will get tooth enamel damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I'd be more worried about gum erosion from a labret piercing than enamel. To be honest a decent piercer should be able to place it so it doesn't harm your gums or teeth.

I've had my labret for over 5 years, no gum erosion and tooth damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

in short yep it ****s up your front tooth and the gum.. i had mine in for years with the mother going cracked but in the end she was right.. had to pay over a grand to sort it out.. ended up havin a dead front tooth that had to be crowned and my gum under the front 2 teeth on the bottom is ****ered. so id say think carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Not so much think carefully about the piercing, just the piercer.
    I had mine in for about four months and never had any problems with my teeth or gums, had to take them out though, sport related.
    They get in the way for the first while because you have a longer bar to accomadate for the swelling, this stage can be quite annoying.
    Once they switch the bar for a short one, they are lovely to have, feel nice to play with, with your tounge and look class. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I've had mine pierced for 5 years and not a bit of damage. I wear a ring. A plastic/acrylic back will protect your teeth if you bite down against the stud- but if the piercing is placed so that it rubs against your gums, your gums will wear away no matter what material is rubbing against them.

Oy. This certainly is a bit worrying. :confused: I suppose the only way I'll find out is to give it a shot. Would anybody reccomend anywhere in particular to get a labret done? I've only ever had needles shoved through my flesh by the people at Celestial ring...no problems so far!

Cartman, was your piercing in the middle or to the side? Would a side piercing make any difference do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I got mine done in Snakebite. The piercers there take as long as is needed to place the piercing properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I have worn enamel, gums and a broken front tooth from my labret, which I took out, and have a very noticable dimple where it was.

plastic would have sorted out the tooth breaking problem, but all of the others would have happened regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 L.i.t.h.i.u.m

I've had mine done for the guts of 3 years now, and I've had no damage so far at all *touch wood* it seems that it can be hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The damage done/not done can basically be down to peoples anatomies, the shape of the inside of their mouth. I'd like a labret piercing, but because of the way my inner lip sits constantly against my gum/teeth, I would end up with damaged gums and/or teeth.

Similarly, I wouldnt be suitable for a tongue piercing, although I'd like one, as my tongue sits against the roof of my mouth most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

my teeth/gums are destroyed from my labret,most likely down to anatomy though,one tooth at the front is crooked and the stud has totally worn away the gum in front,looks pretty bad.not much fun when you go the dentist and he shows all the students your mouth as an example of what can happen!also recently had to loose my tongue web piercing due to the same problem,gum was being worn away behind the same few teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

have it done a few years meself and havent had any problems at all.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I had a chip in my front tooth from years ago that got worn into an awesome semi-circle cos I couldn't stop biting on the stud. The gum started to get sore too, so I got the sides of my lips pierced and now only wear something in the labret the odd time. I try to wear bioplast jewellery in it, but I chew through them in a few hours. It really is all about the placement so make sure your piercer checks everything out before getting it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Jimmy Trigger

4 lip piercing for 6 years.
    Went to the denist afew months ago... Not one things wrong.
    Its either I got them done rite and they dont touch my teeth... or
    Im frickn awesome.
    Id like to think its the second one, but it aint.

S7301556.jpg

If the pic is to big will just say.

PEACE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Is_cuma_liom

I have my labret anftongue pierced and I have damages my teeth. I keep biting down too hard on my tongue piercing and taking chips out of my teeth. My labret has worn a little groove between my two bottom front teeth. But I'm the kind of person that has to keep messing with it so i've probably done most of the damage myself by chewing on it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i got my labret done in celestial ring last summer and after 6 weeks i already had pretty bad gum erosion, had to take it out and have a fairly obvious dimple from it, think he just pierced it too low.

planning on getting it done again though. will most likely go to snakebite to get it done and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I got my lip done years ago, positioned to the side. Wore it for a good 2-3 years. Never had any problems with tooth damage or gum problems. And I was always chewing on the bar. I got it done in Celestial Ring in St. Stephen's Green.

• Advertisement

to be honest, alot has to do the position i guess.
    If your getting infections its manly because it aint bein
    cleand rite... not calling any of you dirty or anything,haha.
    Im a freak with hygiene tho...clean clean clean

Do you think the placement of the piercing makes any difference? I was gonna get it to the side of my lip. Also, I'm very fidgety so I don't doubt I'll be messing with it nonstop! So many horror stories. :( It seems that everyone is reccomending Snakebite or Celestial ring in St. Stephen's green?:pac:

I dont mean left right or center.
    Mine are pierces up, so it means they will never touch my
    teeth unles im a "fidgiter" (watever)
    Dont abbuse it and it wont abbuse you.
    Rule for life people... I aint wrong trust, Im the guy
    4 FOUR 4, Count em, 1 2 3 4, FOUR for 6 years
    and not one problem... EVER FACT PERIOD.

Stay Safe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

It really depends on the position of the piercing, the angle it is placed in and the type of jewellery. If you are concerned you can purchase silicone jewellery that won't damage your teeth.

Also the condition of your teeth and how straight they are might have some minor effect on the wear and tear of the piercing.

Some people have dental issues and some people don't with it.

:)

Advertisement