Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mobile for using the internet on?

• 29-12-2008 4:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

So I've been asked by one of my dads mates to source him a phone basically just to go onto the internet on (the chap has a website and he's never been on it before). He's in his 50's btw.

I was thinking along the lines of an iPhone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

iphone IMO has the best "real internet" experience of any phone out there, BUT flash websites don't work (yet) so beware.

BUT

To be perfectly honest i'd steer away from any phone for the purpose outlined, unless there is a particular reason to really get a phone ? why ? ....

a) expensive
    b) Too small a screen for older folk (at least alot of them)
    c) difficult to get the best out of it without a computer
    d) Need to be reasonably tech savvy to get the best out of it.

SO ...

I'd reccommend he gets a Netbook, like the Asus EEE 900 / 1000h that are down to under 300 euro at the moment and very portable, and a mobile broadband account (three for example) is only around 50 quid on pay as you go or 18 a month contract, better screen and proper internet browsing experience, basically you get him online properly!

The linux version of the EEE would be ideal if he isn't the most tech savvy and he can do lots more with it than the phone (except make calls) and its hell of a lot cheaper in the long run.

You wont have much change from 1200 euro once you factor in contract from O2 for an iphone....unless you of course you use unlock sims etc .. it gets messy .. and as i said, you'll still need access to a computer for the best possible experience, not to mention activation initially.

Oh and by the way i'd love an iphone, just not suited to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

deevey wrote: »
    iphone IMO has the best "real internet" experience of any phone out there, BUT flash websites don't work (yet) so beware.

BUT

To be perfectly honest i'd steer away from any phone for the purpose outlined, unless there is a particular reason to really get a phone ? why ? ....

a) expensive

SO ...

I'd reccommend he gets a Netbook, like the Asus EEE 900 / 1000h that are down to under 300 euro at the moment and very portable, and a mobile broadband account (three for example) is only around 50 quid on pay as you go or 18 a month contract, better screen and proper internet browsing experience, basically you get him online properly!

The linux version of the EEE would be ideal if he isn't the most tech savvy and he can do lots more with it than the phone (except make calls) and its hell of a lot cheaper in the long run.

You wont have much change from 1200 euro once you factor in contract from O2 for an iphone....unless you of course you use unlock sims etc .. it gets messy .. and as i said, you'll still need access to a computer for the best possible experience, not to mention activation initially.

So you think an eepc with an - for most - unfamiliar os is easier than an iphone or an s60 phone(the latest of which btw do support most flash video)?

I'd actually argue for an e71, N95 or similar... Much easier to handle than an iphone. 'now, wait a minute...', I hear you all scream...

Here's why: itunes! Decades of advances in computers gave us the beauty of plug'n'play, drag'n'drop, sync etc etc... Someone who doesn't want a phone as a hobby, but as a simple efficient too imho will rather deal with sth like an s60 phone than an itunes-extension like the iphone.

I may be wrong though.

I do btw have an acer one xp netbook, and they are useful, and yes, with a phone as a modem or a usb dongle handy for a browse on the go. But, apparently the guy has never looked at his own website! Sound like someone who installs the modem? Fires up a netbook to glance at his site? Maybe a phone that quickly gives him an impression between calls is really what he needs? All he needs?

And then, yes...unless he owns youtube, give him an iphone, or an e71/n95/ - though the e's qwerty may be a turn-off due to the small-ish keys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

I was after all offering an opinion, and in my opinion an iphone has probably the best browser of any phones, but limitations as you spoke of none-the-less...

Im sure the interface on most mobiles will be unfamiliar anyhow.... and the eee's inferface is quite easy handy to use (even for the uninitiated as it was designed)... 10 mins of playing with a n95 and I was lost uninterested and handed it back.

2 mins playing with an itouch (same interface) and my mom was happy browsing and doing all she could with it (and she isn't in the least a tech savvy person).

Personally I hate using the browser on any phone i've ever tried (iphone included), 3-4 inch screens don't do it for me, and as I'm sure you know plenty of websites dont display the best on most mobiles in the first place, regardless of flash, simply down to resolution issues.

As a web browsing machine I simply don't see any phones being a good option, and (depending on the contract) could be an expensive one.
    Here's why: itunes!
    .. sure that wont make any difference, if he doesnt have a computer in the first place :p
    And then, yes...unless he owns youtube, give him an iphone, or an e71/n95/ - though the e's qwerty may be a turn-off due to the small-ish keys?

And the keys on a phone are bigger ? Surely a more useful option in the long run though i would have thought.

I was after all offering an opinion, and in my opinion an iphone has probably the best browser of any phones, but limitations as you spoke of none-the-less...

Im sure the interface on most mobiles will be unfamiliar anyhow.... and the eee's inferface is quite easy handy to use (even for the uninitiated as it was designed)... 10 mins of playing with a n95 and I was lost uninterested and handed it back.

2 mins playing with an itouch (same interface) and my mom was happy browsing and doing all she could with it (and she isn't in the least a tech savvy person).

Personally I hate using the browser on any phone i've ever tried (iphone included), 3-4 inch screens don't do it for me, and as I'm sure you know plenty of websites dont display the best on most mobiles in the first place, regardless of flash, simply down to resolution issues.

As a web browsing machine I simply don't see any phones being a good option, and (depending on the contract) could be an expensive one.

.. sure that wont make any difference, if he doesnt have a computer in the first place :p

And the keys on a phone are bigger ? Surely a more useful option in the long run though i would have thought.

Sorry, my bad! By 'E' i MEANT E71 NOT EEPC!!!
    You're probavly right. And without knowing more about the man, we may well be wasting our time ;)

There may be a reason for the op to post this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

BUT

a) expensive

SO ...

There is a whole lot of good sense in that post. :)

As an iPhone owner, I really think that you would be better of getting the man a cheap netbook as deevey says, they are €279 in Power City these days.

• Advertisement

True.
    But it's difficult to 'guess'... Would be nice if the op updated this with some more detail ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Thanks for all the opinions and options lads but well the chap has asked for a phone that he can use the internet on instead of a netbook. I know logically a netbook would bt probably the best option but well there's no getting through to them older folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Any of these - E61/E61i/N95/N95 8GB
    Grand big screens and decent keyboards.
    install Opera Mini on it as well for him.

long_b wrote: »
    Any of these - E61/E61i/N95/N95 8GB
    Grand big screens and decent keyboards.
    install Opera Mini on it as well for him.

Agree. Bookmark his site, and he's sorted! E61 has a more convenient qwerty than e71, bigger screen and you should be able to be a cheap one!

Advertisement