Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get the best price on Makita Jig saw - or is there better than Makita?

Options
  • 29-12-2008 4:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Will only get occasional use.

Is norn Iron worth going to for tools?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi Worded, Makita is great brand,top quality tools(the ones I've owned have been) but pricey.

I use a bosch blue at the mo,it wasn't the cheapest by far but cheaper than Makitas equivelent.It does the job very well, and is very comfortable to use.

I'm going to be heading North soon for a couple of things,if it as cheap n good for tools as for everything else;) My problem is still trying to locate a store with all the bits I'm after..

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Yeah have some Makita gear ,great stuff. AEG have come back into the Irish market and they have some nice kit, B&Q stock them. Good German tools.
    Don't know any specific stores in Norn Iron but would be interested in finding the Newry equivalent of say McQuillans. Saw this thread on AAM
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=100302
    so might give some of the names mentioned a buzz and see do they sell tools, if not who would they go to? Tally ho!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

I normally buy from Axminster..
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Makita-Makita-4350FCT-Jigsaw-656297.htm

It would cost about 130 to 140 Euro at the moment from them, including delivery and VAT.. but you would be betraying the Irish People. The exchange rate is very good. I usually buy from them as they are very good and it is convienient.

I'm not sure if Irish shops will have that tool for less than 140 Euro.

This isn't ideal but for any tool for light use, I would consider the LIDL Parkside brand.. definitely cheap, a jigsaw may be 30 to 40 Euro or so and I think they are well made. I have bought sanders from them (25 to 35 Euro depending on type, I have bought five or more), also a sabre saw (about 30 Euro or so, excellent tool), also a router as a spare, (40 Euro, 8mm collet only, comes with 12 bits and a better edge guide than my Makita, soft start electronics etc, unbelieveable for the price), also a Wet/Dry Vac with auto-switching, 70 Euro, bargain, bought a second, excellent tool with a lot of power and designed to extract from power tools), I have never bought circulars saws, mitre saws, or other tools as I have better versions, but for a hobbyist or a light user I would definitely recommend LIDL Parkside.

(Not ALDI Powercraft tools or something similar as I only bought one tool from them and it was poorly made and hardly functioned.. maybe I was unlucky or something?)

The only problem is that the LIDL tools are only sold occasionally, or in the bigger shops they may have a selection more often.. the best thing is to sign up to the email newsletter and find out when they are for sale.

You could try and ring the Irish service center to see if they can be bought directly from them.
    Website which list all Parkside tools, and provides manuals is
    http://www.kompernass.com/pages/index.php?page=1,3,1,1&brand=parkside

I'm not of any help for Irish tool shops, I never have the time to buy in person and so usually buy online...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

IMO it would be hard to beat www.tooled-up.co.uk they are by far the cheapest for tools IMO, service is very fast and postage very reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

http://www.parfix.ie/ this crowd sell most well known makes and are very competitive in pricing. they are in Belfast but will deliver to your door. get the model number of the tool go to your local supplier and let him answer any questions you have. then buy online. i have bought a lot of ryobi gear from parfix and no problems whatsoever. one cordless drill broke and they sent a van to the site collected it and dropped it back when it was repaired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 murnhome

After extensive research I have found the best places to buy on line are
    1. www.raygrahams.com N.I firm with free delivery to south (a big plus).
    2. www.toolstop.co.uk. prices in euro and automatically send vat free if you have your E.U vat no at check out. Also a flat postage rate.
    3. www.lawson-his.co.uk they have a huge range to choose from and have the very best prices for blades etc. 5 makita jigsaw blades for £2.00 ish cant be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Thanks for the research!

murnhome wrote: »
    After extensive research I have found the best places to buy on line are
    1. www.raygrahams.com N.I firm with free delivery to south (a big plus).
    2. www.toolstop.co.uk. prices in euro and automatically send vat free if you have your E.U vat no at check out. Also a flat postage rate.
    3. www.lawson-his.co.uk they have a huge range to choose from and have the very best prices for blades etc. 5 makita jigsaw blades for £2.00 ish cant be bad.

Advertisement