Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair, £ for € onboard!

Options
  • 29-12-2008 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭

Ryanair, just like many shops in Newry, are offering euro for pound onboard their flights. The catch? It's the other way round so the Euro figure is used when paying in either Euro or Sterling.

This makes a lukewarm can of Carlsberg £4.50. That's more expensive than in any bar in London. Nobody is buying though!

If they were to reduce their prices more might they have a little better turnover?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

This makes a lukewarm can of Carlsberg £4.50. That's more expensive than in any bar in London. Nobody is buying though!
    Plenty of bars in London have far higher prices, plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Very true. If you don't like the prices don't buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ryanair, just like many shops in Newry, are offering euro for pound onboard their flights. The catch? It's the other way round so the Euro figure is used when paying in either Euro or Sterling.

If they were to reduce their prices more might they have a little better turnover?
    Your average bar in london is not going to fly you from A to B for next to nothing. get over it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

You sure about that?
    I'd bet any amount of money that a good few people are paying that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

The pound was 98p for a euro a few dazs ago. Not suprising they're giving a 1:1 for it. Would cut out alot of hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

easyJet are currently charging £3.20 or €4.50 for 330ml Carlsberg. Haven't caught up with current rates but I imagine their next move will be to bring euro prices down towards pound prices, not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I appreciate that nobody is holding a gun to your head, forcing you to buy Pringles but it's just that surely the current policy is counter-productive as the prices are prohibitively expensive. There is no way a pub in London would charge as much as Ryanair are for beers and why is the exchange rate between Euro and Sterling relevant on a domestic UK flight?

I have travelled with Ryanair about 10 return flights in 2008 and think they're great. Have had return flights between BHD and STN from as low as £10 sterling. There are a set of rules which are easy to follow. I've got an Electron and take only carry on luggage. One of the rules I also follow is not to buy anything on board. If those prices were less, I would most likely buy something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

If they reduced the prices people would buy more. Thats true. Then they would have to carry more food. Though if i am thirsty/hungry i dont care how much it is as lond as they have what i want. I hate getting on a flight and even though i am sitting near the front or back where they start the service they dont have what i want.

*Kol* wrote: »
    If they reduced the prices people would buy more. Thats true. Then they would have to carry more food. Though if i am thirsty/hungry i dont care how much it is as lond as they have what i want. I hate getting on a flight and even though i am sitting near the front or back where they start the service they dont have what i want.

I'm sure it's not tough to re-stock if weight / space is an issue. A heated panini and a small can of beer is going to cost over £10. In departures at STN you can get a pint and a hot meal for £8 in the Wetherspoons, which in itself isn't great value but at least it's meat, two veg, knife and fork and a cold pint. When taking a 1 hour flight it's not like you need in flight refreshments to break up the journey.

As I say, I think the mobility Ryanair has given me is great but I refuse to play ball on their in flight service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I would love to have the luxury of getting to the airport and having enough time to eat first, sadly not the case most of the time for me. An hour is a long time when you are starving!! The refreshments are more a necessity than a journey breaker.:)

• Advertisement

*Kol* wrote: »
    I would love to have the luxury of getting to the airport and having enough time to eat first, sadly not the case most of the time for me. An hour is a long time when you are starving!! The refreshments are more a necessity than a journey breaker.:)

Well I suppose if you are hungry then priorities change! One other good thing about STN is that they have Boots the chemist who do very good meal deals for a sandwich, drink and either a bag of crisps or else a bit of cake or fruit. I can't help but grumble when in Dublin and see that current security restrictions about taking liquid through screening has played right into the hands of retailers there who are charging the highest price for plastic bottles of water that I have seen in Ireland.

Advertisement