Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerickisms

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

Most of these are only good if said in the proper Limerick accent!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Bubba HoTep

bazz26 wrote: »
    Referring someone as "boss" or "kid".

or "cuz" :)

concussion wrote: »
    Ghoul (gowl) is also used around Mayo but up there it refers to lady-bits.

gowlbag is another good 'un

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

or "cuz" :)

Rip-off from American gangsta culture.

Well it's a Zulu word, so it wouldn't be a lesson in English.
    It's only used in Limerick, because it was picked up by a missionary priest from Limerick when he was over in Africa, and brought back with him.

Sto pbeing a "goul" and take it for what it was meant as.

sorry mate but that isnt true, shoes are "dressy" and Runners are "tacky"

thats where it comes from

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Any idea where the term "steamer" comes from?

As in: That fella is an awful steamer.

means gay, not used for homosexuals directly, more like some one acting like a "f*gg*t"

if that makes any sense

mud wrote: »
    I always understood that 'steamer' referred to a gentleman who frequented steam rooms in order to meet other mens

'ghoul' comes from the Viking word 'gall' which translates as 'foreigner'

a "ghoul" is a term for someone spooky, buts its spelled gowl, it means fanny

bazz26 wrote: »
    "stall the ball", "stop the lights" or "come out of the fog".

Roughly translated means "wait a minute".

or hold the phone!

come out of the fog means "get real" or "wake up"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

or hold the phone!

come out of the fog means "get real" or "wake up"

Dude, use the multi-quote button ffs.
    It's the one with "# on it.

'mout chu mup!!

"come out of it you muppet"

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    Dude, use the multi-quote button ffs.
    It's the one with "# on it.

ah so

will do, dude :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

sorry mate but that isnt true, shoes are "dressy" and Runners are "tacky"

thats where it comes from

No my friend, it is true.
    Tackie is a Zulu word, and it was brought back by an ex missionary priest whos name I can't remember.
    Fairly well known here, and in South Africa.
    I know a guy from South Africa, and even they know that people over here use the word (although he thought it was all Ireland before he came over).

As I said, it came to prominence here in the late 70's early 80's and is used nowhere else, although you may hear it in Clare and South Tip for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

gway or i kick de heart ourra yu:
    leave the vicinity or i shall give you quite the hiding

cuzland:
    the island field

a feek down the hamballally:
    taking your lady friend for a romantic excursion to the rear side of the alley used for handball.

No my friend, it is true.
    Tackie is a Zulu word, and it was brought back by an ex missionary priest whos name I can't remember.
    Fairly well known here, and in South Africa.
    I know a guy from South Africa, and even they know that people over here use the word (although he thought it was all Ireland before he came over).

As I said, it came to prominence here in the late 70's early 80's and is used nowhere else, although you may hear it in Clare and South Tip for obvious reasons.

Im not saying that it is or isnt a zulu word, it very well could be, im just saying that your misinformed

reason one is i remember when we started to say "tackies" , reason two is that priests dont tend to start trends like slang words, priests arent cool, why the hell would we want to speak like one? and three is i doubt there were many, if any, zulu's wearing trainers, in the 70's or early 80's that a priest would notice they were called "tackies"

the reason is like i said, shoes are "dressy" trainers are "tacky"

peace :)

(note: actually, i just checked there on an online zulu dictionary, its not a zulu word)

Capture.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

best i ever heard was when stopped by a few um..............girls from rathkeale years ago

"come here till i tell ya a question"

Still tell people about it all these yrs later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

"Be Wide of (insert random thing here usually shades etc)"
    Has to be my favourute.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

Lots of great words in this thread. I've always wondered about the origin of the word 'feek' - This word is also used in other parts of the country though.

My favourite is tackies. I was fascinated to learn this word when I first moved to Limerick. Bowled over several years later when I heard the term is even more widespread in South Africa "Lekker Tackies, man"
    I've often wondered, but ever could figure this out - the suggestion of a priest returned from a mission makes a lot of sense. I'd love to hear any more info on this if anyone can remember or trace it. Also be interested to hear of any one who would have known this word in the 70s or 60s [or earlier]. If you weren't alive in the 60s or 70s in Limerick, ask find an old person and ask them.

Further discussion at: http://www.fustar.info/2006/12/07/194/ Including [seemingly far-fetched] conjecture that the word may have been brought here by British Soldiers in or after the Boer War

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zbalazs79

1. Sound as the bell. Very good.

2. How's the form? - Howaye?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Il learn you good- I will teach you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

How do you teach a Limerick person their vowels ??

Ahhhhhhh
    I
    owe
    you
    an
    E!

Works equally well for Cork! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

" I done it ........"

freaks me out when people say it. only ever heard it in Limerick.

Always called our trainers tackies in the late 60s - but not in Limerick, in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

haha great thread!!

Get a bit of gentle slaggin from my friends for bein from limerick and the ones they always say to me are 'nawful smell ofme tackies!' and 'poolanalinit' and 'cmere i wanchaaaaaaaa' lol love em!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

Can ive a garlic chip 'n' cheese dere boss!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

Antny always wanted to look cool. His friend told him that he needed a good designer pair of tackies (= runners/ trainers) to go with his tracksuit.

Antny saved up his dole and all the money he got from sellin yokes and finally managed to get himself a pair of brilliant white tackies to go with his white tracksuit.

Proudly, he strutted down Hyde road calling out to all the passers by 'joo like my new tackies

One fine upstanding gentleman pointed out that they were indeed a fine pair of tackies but was young Antny aware that he had a lace undone?

Antny scornfully retorted that it was part of being cool to have a trailing lace, and that on the bottom of the trainer here were instructions for the wearer to only have one lace tied.

When asked for proof of this instruction, Antny took off his tackies and held it upside down for the disbeliever to read.

'See u gowl!

It sez.................................................................

'TAIWAN'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

DylanS09 wrote: »
    Antny always wanted to look cool. His friend told him that he needed a good designer pair of tackies (= runners/ trainers) to go with his tracksuit.

Antny saved up his dole and all the money he got from sellin yokes and finally managed to get himself a pair of brilliant white tackies to go with his white tracksuit.

Proudly, he strutted down Hyde road calling out to all the passers by 'joo like my new tackies

One fine upstanding gentleman pointed out that they were indeed a fine pair of tackies but was young Antny aware that he had a lace undone?

Antny scornfully retorted that it was part of being cool to have a trailing lace, and that on the bottom of the trainer here were instructions for the wearer to only have one lace tied.

When asked for proof of this instruction, Antny took off his tackies and held it upside down for the disbeliever to read.

'See u gowl!

It sez.................................................................

'TAIWAN'

Ahahahaha nice. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

waatchomeeen..
    i drinks volka(vodka)
    naw boy..(no)
    i'n gettin my windows tilted.(tinted)
    i'n gettin my thumb pierced.(tongue)
    i'n meetin a haunty wan,and she's gamey boy.(a nice girl to likes to have fun)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doh!

Advertisement