Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return gift - should the credit note be at original price or sale price?

Options
  • 29-12-2008 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I hope someone can advise me on this.

Firstly, I know a shop doesn't have to offer a credit note/exchange unless the item is faulty, so I suspect I already know the answer to my question...

If I return a gift to a shop, should I be entitled to a credit note/exchange for the original amount or for the new sale amount? Note the sale started after the gift was returned.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Generally if a shop is going to refund you they will give you the price you have paid.

AFAIK though there is no legal obligation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

They will only give you the price you paid if you have the receipt - otherwise it's refunded/credit note at the current sale price

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

When I worked in retail we'd always refund whatever the price was printed on the receipt, although my flatmate got a pair of jeans in Jack and Jones for xmas and they told him if he returned them after the sale started they would only credit him the sale price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Generally, if you're returning it because it's faulty they'll a) replace it, or b) refund the amount you paid.
    If you're returning it for a refund 'just because' or because you don't like it, they'll either refund the price you paid (if their receipts say they will), or credit note for the current selling price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Generally, if you're returning it because it's faulty they'll a) replace it, or b) refund the amount you paid.
    If you're returning it for a refund 'just because' or because you don't like it, they'll either refund the price you paid (if their receipts say they will), or credit note for the current selling price.

+1

Unless there is a verifiable manufacturing defect, the store would normally only refund the current selling price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

I am currently in this situation with Xtra Vision where it actually states on the receipt.

"Unwanted items may be returned within 28 days of purchase, in unused & saleable condition, & exchanged for another item of the same value or FULL credit in the form of XV vouchers."

And the manager is trying to foist the sale value on me. The difference is only a fiver, but I walked out on principle and am now sitting around, waiting for their customer service desk to come back from lunch.

I only bought it on Christmas Eve, 5 days ago! It has not been opened. I was going to exchange it for something else and even buy a second game on top, while giving them something they could re-sell.

The difference may only be a fiver, but I hate the thought of if I bought something for 200, and then it was marked down to 150, that I'd lose out on 50 euro in that loophole. So hopefully some verbal persuasion to their customer service will bring things around... especially when those are the terms stated on their receipt!

In either case, I will not be shopping with them again as I don't think it is good business pratice. I used to work in Gamestop, and we were instructed to just refund or give credit as long as the game was in reasonable condition because it was better for long term business.

If I had brought this game back 28 days later instead of 5, I might be a little more understanding, but this loophole leaves me feeling exploited and I'm going to try my best to get full value back.

Just called the Xtra Vision customer service line and got a Human. Then, as soon as it sounded vaguely like a complaint to him, he switched me to an answering machine without saying one word to me! I was even still talking when I heard a machine voice come back at me. I left a strong message and my phone number which is about all I can do if THAT is how they handle complaints.

I threatened to take away my business which I estimate would be between 300-500 euro a year between all the games and dvds that I buy for myself and other people. All this over 5 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

AARRRGH wrote: »
    If I return a gift to a shop, should I be entitled to a credit note/exchange for the original amount or for the new sale amount? Note the sale started after the gift was returned.

What did they give/offer you? If the sale hadn't started yet, and the price on the shelf was the same as what you'd paid, then I'd imagine that this is what you should be given. Of course, it's up to the shop, and what their policy is, as you already know you weren't entitled to anything. Go in, or ring, and ask what their official refunds policy is.
    "Unwanted items may be returned within 28 days of purchase, in unused & saleable condition, & exchanged for another item of the same value or FULL credit in the form of XV vouchers."
    That would seem to imply that you would get back exactly what you paid, but it is their policy, and they can do pretty much what they want with it. They may have a more detailed written one, with exact terms and consitions somewhere, try and get hold of it.
    And the manager is trying to foist the sale value on me.
    Which does make sense, since they can only re-sell it for the sale price now.

Just an update. The Xtra Vision customer service did call me back and they sided with me. I will give that side of Xtra Vision credit because it only took them an hour to call me back.

They sent out an e-mail to all Xtra Vision stores and I got my exchange for the value that I paid and not sale value. The manager I dealt with still only begrudingly put it through even after all this.

I may still shop with them now that they dealt with my problem promptly, but I won't be shopping in that particular branch. I don't want to boost that particular managers sales and target bonuses just because she made me feel like crap over 5 euro.

It was written on their receipt as their policy, and if a company does not abide by their own policy, then they are not fit to do business with. Going over her head sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

This would make complete sh1te of any retailers returns policy. What is to stop you buying x amount of sale item and returning them after sale is over, making a tidy profit? Even if it is in store credit a person could add a games console or dvd player to the 10 tv's they are returning over a few energetic days of buying and returning.

I am sure I'm not the first to think of this and that is why I think you should be refunded the amount you paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

if you have a receipt you should be refunded the receipt value.

if you have no receipt you get the credit at that days selling price because you could have bought it 5 minutes ago

This would make complete sh1te of any retailers returns policy. What is to stop you buying x amount of sale item and returning them after sale is over, making a tidy profit? Even if it is in store credit a person could add a games console or dvd player to the 10 tv's they are returning over a few energetic days of buying and returning.

I am sure I'm not the first to think of this and that is why I think you should be refunded the amount you paid.

I am not sure how you'd make a profit out of exhanging items of equal value. The seller still keeps your money. The value would be stated on the receipt and any seller that exchanges without a receipt is just asking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I'd say they've thought of this. Most likely the policy is "you get back the current price-unless the current price is more than you paid". Remember it's just a shop policy not a law so they can do whatever they want with it. If they wanted a shop could have a policy of only giving 10% back for all unwanted returns since they don't actually have to do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I see this all the time, especially after mega days ie 20% off in clothing stores such as Debenhams, Oasis etc.

Returns without receipt would increase in the month after the mega day. So you come in and return €80 worth of stuff for €100, might not sound much but all comes out of your profit and loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Fair play to you 'The Cannibal' - you were dead right.

When a 'policy' appears on your receipt, what does it become? Part of the terms and conditions of your contract with the retailer. Even if it sounds bonkers or too good to be true.

Xtravision have a generous exchange policy - as compared to your basic statutory rights in this instance - as The Cannibal found out, but he had to push a bit to get this element of his contract respected because of an issue of a lack of knowledge on behalf of a manager.

Some shops have policies that add extra to your basic statutory rights. It should be commended, but it's understandable how some people might do a double-take on it and believe the manager who's giving them the wrong info.

It may have changed, but I wonder how many people are aware just how generous Dunnes Stores exchange policy is, for example?
    (Not touting for business for them, just a general observation.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

According to a member of staff in Waterford last Sunday, the Dunnes policy is being reviewed in mid Jan!

Advertisement