Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nutrional Value - A Bit of an Odd one

• 29-12-2008 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

hey,

Not your usual nuttrional question. Just curious, does anyone know how "they" go about finding the nutrional value of food? Just interested really, google turned up nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They would get nutritional info for all ingredients and then do calculations for the lot combined. For individual base ingredients I would expect they do tests in labs, i.e. you could use indicators to estimate how much protein/fat/carbs are in them. Might use spectometry type tests http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_spectrometry

I calculated my own info for some protein cakes I made, by just reading the packets and totting up the stuff in the right ratios.

To find calories they burn stuff in a lab and see how much energy is released, e.g. measure the temp rise of 100ml of water when some substance is burned under it, I have done this before. They would know the calories the protein/fat carbs have so usually the calories would be calculated by just totting up known figures. Calories are really intended for fuel estimates for engineering purposes, it is not really a measure of how fat you will get, but is used as such.

Advertisement