Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glass wool

Options
  • 29-12-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi, that stuff that is laid in the attic - is that a glass wool? If yes, how harmful is the one used in Ireland over last couple of years?

I used some of that in the kitchen two days ago. It is not covered at the moment - it's under & behind the furniture... Now I'd like to remove it somehow safely. Any ideas as how to do that?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Assuming you mean glass fibre insulation--the light browm coloured stuff--it's not specially harmful, but it's wise to use gloves when handling it as the tiny glass fibres can get into the skin and cause quite severe itching. Also, avoid breathing the fibres by not shaking it about too much:)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭lo0kash

Thanks,
    and what about using that in the kitchen? If it is not good to breath that why it's never covered in the attic?

As I said I put some under the presses in the kitchen but now I'm affraid about my child health...

Would you suggest remove it carefully or just mayve cover?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Glass wool isn't the same as asbestos. Low levels of exposure to it is not known to cause issues.
    As long as the insulation is not disturbed, it won't create dust.
    I'd leave it alone now.

The only way of removing it would be by bagging it up and vacuuming afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭lo0kash

Thanks,

One last question: Do you know about any indoor use of that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

from what i can gather you installed it and are now wondering if its ok....

Get a staple gun and some vapour barrier plastic and just staple the plastic over the top of it to keep it in place. As far as i know you should be using a vapour barrier plastic anyway between it and the plaster board.

• Advertisement
Advertisement