Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Photography Exhibition at DCC - reality planning

• 17-12-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry. I've been up to high doh lately between real life, more real life, and the fact that various people have been drinking god only knows what tainted internet water lately. So this hasn't got the update it merits.

Dublin Camera Club have very kindly agreed to host a boards.ie photographic exhibition in the first half of 2009. Expected dates are March/April although they are not fully set in stone right now. Either I or CabanSail will get the final dates sometime after Christmas.

There are room for approximately 30 photographs to in the exhibition gallery at the Dublin Camera Club's premises in Camden Street so what will happen, on this occasion, is that we will submit a number of photographs to Dublin Camera Club's Council and they will make a selection on our behalf. This is being done because there has been significant interest on the part of the users in participating and we

There are certain guidelines with respect to how the photographs will be presented - I don't have these to hand exactly but I believe the frames were 16x20 and you will have to windowmount within those measurements.

If you are interested in submitting a photograph for the exhibition, we will need to have a presentation ready mounted print from you by 14 February. I have not yet decided how best to collect them - it may be that we do drinks a week beforehand or something and I'll collect as many of them as possible then.

In other words, you have around 6 weeks to start thinking about what photograph you would like to submit for this.

If you have any questions, please let Tony or myself know.

Regards

Calina.

Will you be submitting a print for the exhibition? 44 votes

Yes I will submit a print
    0%
    I "may" submit a print
    100%
    DeVoregandalfnilhgFionnGristlyEndValentiaHugh_CkensutzshepthedogmlocMartMaxwalterjaqianCalinaRojokjtwaldotrishw78PaulieC[Deleted User] 44 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Matt Board is the standard 16" x 20" size. These will then fit into the frames we have at DCC.

It would probably look best if all the mounts were the same, so I would suggest Black would be best.

As Calina said, there can only be about 30 photographs hung in the Gallery. The selection will be undertaken by some of the advanced photographers in the club (so save your bribes for the Challenges ;) )

The Gallery is open each Saturday from 11am to 5pm & is attended by Club Members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I "may" submit a print
    CabanSail wrote: »
    The Matt Board is the standard 16" x 20" size. These will then fit into the frames we have at DCC.

It would probably look best if all the mounts were the same, so I would suggest Black would be best.

Can we have white please, much more classy :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I "may" submit a print
    Whilst I have followed this thread with interest all along, I didn't feel confident enough either as a photographer or as a boards contributor to consider submitting a print. However, as time has dragged on, I'd like the chance to contribute.

So, even though I haven't posted on this thread up til now, may I submit a print for consideration by the DCC panel?

I completely understand if it is limited to those who have expressed an interest before now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

AFAIK it's open to anyone who is on this forum.

It's a bit like the book, where the limit was the amount of pages available. The limit here is the number of prints that will fit in the DCC Gallery, which is about 30.

The selection of the 30 images will be done by DCC.

As I am a member of the Council at DCC I have decided not to submit a print.

I "may" submit a print
    Don't know if this is feasible.

I would like to suggest a possibility where everyone gets in much like the book.

We still submit prints and DCC decide on the 30 to be hung and the rest are shown as a slideshow?

If space is a problem for that we could maybe reduce the prints to 25 or whatever.

T.

• Advertisement

Covey wrote: »

I would like to suggest a possibility where everyone gets in much like the book.

We still submit prints and DCC decide on the 30 to be hung and the rest are shouwn as a slideshow?

If space is a problem for that we could maybe reduce the prints to 25 or whatever.

T.

This is a very good idea. We have a large monitor which is in the window of the Gallery. It is run from a DVD Player on a loop. I will suggest that the images that do not make the selection could be displayed on that for the time of the exhibition. This will have to be approved, but I do not see it as being a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Covey wrote: »

We still submit prints and DCC decide on the 30 to be hung and the rest are shown as a slideshow?

T.

I like this idea too. I think it might be good for those who have entered but who (like myself) don't feel their photos are of sufficient standard to make the cut, but would like them show in conjunction with the others as well.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I "may" submit a print
    I'm up for this too if possible. Like the idea of a looping DVD too...

DeV.

I have just put up a Poll to gauge how many Prints we are likely to receive. As said before there will be about 30 prints hung in the gallery. There will need to be more than this number submitted to allow a selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I "may" submit a print
    Right, to be very honest, I'm confused about where we're at at the moment.

Now, I know it's 23:20 on a Saturday night, but for once, that's not the cause of my confusion. ;)

Is Calina looking at printing up all the pics? Or is that done? I'd like to change the image, but don't know where we are, if anything has been done already, I'll rock and roll with that and reimpurse Calina, otherwise, I'd go for it myself.

Would an alternate print be frowned upon? As in, something which wouldn't nessicarily fit in a mount nor frame, but still mountable on a wall (And fitting in to the size guidelines)? Not for the sake of being different ( :cool: ), but that's the way a lot of my exhibition printing is going these days. Again, I've no problems if that'd be too much, or you feel it wouldn't fit in, etc.

What's the timeline on this in general? Ie, when are we looking at getting our photos into the printed world, being selected, hung, and finally, exhibition opened? Not looking for exact dates, season's will do fine for the moment!

• Advertisement

The time frame is for submission by Feb 14th, with the Exhibition opening sometime in March for about 6 weeks.

The prints submitted would be up to you, as long as it fits within the guidlines given (16" x 20" Black Window Mounted)

Calina did some printing for the samples, but I doubt she wants to be responsible for all the printing for the exhibition.

I am trying to gauge the numbers interested in participating.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

yikes this thread is a mid of mayhem to read... possibility of maybe the first post updated on whats happening, took me an ages to gather printing was happening, print size, deadlines etc. just a suggestion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I "may" submit a print
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    Right, to be very honest, I'm confused about where we're at at the moment.

It's Christmas. I am on dial up. Nothing is happening.
    Now, I know it's 23:20 on a Saturday night, but for once, that's not the cause of my confusion. ;)

23.20 is to early to be confused.
    Is Calina looking at printing up all the pics? Or is that done? I'd like to change the image, but don't know where we are, if anything has been done already, I'll rock and roll with that and reimpurse Calina, otherwise, I'd go for it myself.

No. Absolutely not. I did the pre-run for DCC on the understanding that when it came to final prints, all you perfectionists would sort out your own prints. There were two reasons for this 1) time. I don't have a life right now and want it back, thanks and 30 prints takes a while to do and 2) I assume that for the most part you'd all want to ensure that you had final control on how the print looked in the end. So I am not going to do the printing.
    Would an alternate print be frowned upon? As in, something which wouldn't nessicarily fit in a mount nor frame, but still mountable on a wall (And fitting in to the size guidelines)? Not for the sake of being different ( :cool: ), but that's the way a lot of my exhibition printing is going these days. Again, I've no problems if that'd be too much, or you feel it wouldn't fit in, etc.

CabanSail is more au fait with the practical details but I do know that we are required to use the DCC frames and as such they have a standard frame and mount. I think we have gone with black mounts by the way.

What's the timeline on this in general? Ie, when are we looking at getting our photos into the printed world, being selected, hung, and finally, exhibition opened? Not looking for exact dates, season's will do fine for the moment!

I haven't worked out the modalities of how we will do this yet but I need to have all the prints in my possession 14 February and they need to conform to the standards as laid down by DCC. After that, we haven't got a fixed start date from DCC as they haven't finalised the end date of the exhibition running before us. It is due to be somewhere around the end of March, however.

@mele:

I agree. I'm really sorry. I have been absolutely jammed for the last 4 or 5 weeks between Christmas related stuff, business related stuff and work related stuff. I will, when I get back to a broadband connection, look at sorting this out into a new thread with the poll and summary of what's going on along with practical instructions for the reality side of things rather than the "wouldn't it be great version".

One of the things I was thinking of doing was maybe calling a meet on 14 or 15 February (15 probably) in Dublin for handing in of prints for the Dublin based photographers. I know this is terribly easy for me as I'm in Dublin. I'd appreciate an indication - best by PM I'd say - of the non-Dublin based photographers and especially the handful we have outside Ireland so that we can come to some way of arranging those prints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I "may" submit a print
    Cheers Calina :)

Dial up? Rough. And no, it's even acceptable to wake up on a Sunday morning confused. :pac:

Wasn't sure what the story was with the printing, so glad that's cleared up - Was moreso worried that you'd be up to your eyes and/or short of pocket if you attempted to do it yourself, I wouldn't have any fears of your printing skills :)

So we're going with a uniform presentation? Grand.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend much up until the 17th of Feb, I'm going to be very very busy up until then. I'll be able to get the prints done et al, but no hope of me heading to much else.

I "may" submit a print
    Damn, doesn't look like the poll came with this.

OKAY, due technical probs, could the people who already voted elsewhere please vote again, thanks very much.

I just edited the Poll to the original questions.

1. Definitely submitting a print.

2. Maybe submitting a Print.

I "may" submit a print
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

I could offer to do the prints and mounts all the same

there would be a cost involved but i would do it for not much more than cost price

i could setup an ftp account on my server that everyone could upload to, by a certain date,

I will need to work out the prices etc. but would do it without any real ammount of profit to help out the idea.

hope this helps

s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

I "may" submit a print
    Is this the exhibition that people joined the Boards Exhibition on Flickr last year? or is it an entirely different venture?
    If its the same i would be pleased to have my original submission included.
    I also think that the offer from stcstc would be a very efficient way of doing the printing and frames etc.
    It would be more desireable for me to be able to FTP my submission to someone rather than have to do a 200 mile round trip to hand in a photograph. Think of the culchies people outside the pale.
    :)

Yes, this is the same exhibition. Calina was looking for a venue & I have organised the Gallery at DCC.

You are not limited to the photo submitted to the Flickr Group, it's up to you what you submit.

The Printing & Mounting offer made by Steve (stcstc) is a very good one. I have had prints done by him & the quality is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Will the photos be judged from their digital image (if they were taken digitally) or will we have to get them printed and mounted for the judging process?

They will be selected from the Prints as presented, as that is what will be hanging on the walls of the Gallery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I "may" submit a print
    None of my photos are going to be good enough to print at 16*20 but I would like if they were included in the slideshow if possible. Have you decided if thats going ahead yet?

you might be suprised

the mount would be 20*16

generally prints in that size mount would be 16*12

I have printed from .75 mb jpgs at that size and looked great

jaqian wrote: »
    I would like if they were included in the slideshow if possible. Have you decided if thats going ahead yet?

I have to get this passed by Council, but it should be OK. The Slideshow would be Digital versions of the Prints that have been submitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I "may" submit a print
    Is it still possible to submit a print for this? If so, I am interested.

I "may" submit a print
    Yes. I need to have the prints in my hands by 14/15 February at the latest to submit them to DCC.

The prints need to be window mounted and fit in 16x20 inch frames.

I "may" submit a print
    @stcstc:

would you print and mount my submission for me - i dont have paypal but i'll pay by cheque or CC if that'd be suitable, please

oh! and maybe deliver to Calina before the deadline?

:)

I "may" submit a print
    Actually,

that's a thought.

If ststc is doing a large number of prints, I will collect from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have only noticed this now, how did I miss it??? I am very interested. Is the exhibition just for show of a print or to include sale of prints? Is there going to be any limitations in theme? I have a fair idea of what I would like to include purely for the fact it is more commercial than some of my shots but I am still pondering the idea as my confidence isnt really at exhibition standards although someone has opened my eyes recently to a few different things so maybe.

Steve, could you pm me maybe rates for print and mount? If I get you to do it do I have to pick up from you or are you just going to submit all together? As I have not done a lot of printing and mounting etc as you know I would appreciate just a little description i.e. is it going to be mounted on black board with a black mount (frame) around it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I "may" submit a print
    Maybe if we could get the prices in the thread? If everyone is going to do it then it makes sense..

I "may" submit a print
    Shep, can you leave that with us - it'll have to be discussed because in a weird and wonderful way, pricing in thread is actually not in keeping with the charter. I'll look into in the next day or so.

Calina, I am travelling back to Ireland, will b back Monday evening, if you want to give me a ring and we can discuss

I am happy to do peoples prints and mounts, will sort out with Calina etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

we get these mounts back apres out of curiousity? How bout if we do... see bout anyone up for some swapsies, I have no doubt my eye will fall upon one or two...and trading prints could be fun?

The Prints/Mounts will be returned to their owners after the exhibition.

• Advertisement

I "may" submit a print
    1) Printing.

ststc has offered to do a special rate on the printing - it's a seriously good rate.

For anyone who is interested, the rate is €7.00 for a 16 inch by 12 inch print and the mount is €7.50.

So all told, printed/mounted €14.50. This rate is specific for the purposes of the boards.ie exhibition. Any other queries about printing unrelated to the exhibition that you might want ststc to do for you should be addressed to him via pm.

I will collect all the prints done by ststc for the exhibition around 14 February.

For this, Steve is going to set up and ftp and we need you to supply a file that has your name as the filename so that I know who owns what photographs.

2) The prints will be returned to the owners after the exhibition, or beforehand, if they don't make the wall selection. If you're interested in a swap per mele's idea, please let me know. I like the idea.

3) Anyone who is interested in participating can.

4) We haven't a final answer on the slide show yet; when we do I will come back to people about how we'll do that, arranging for files to generate the fileshow (I have the technology to do this now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I voted in the poll as a maybe but have since changed my mind and wish to submit a print. I should have a handful of good photos that I can mull over and submit one for consideration.

I "may" submit a print
    That's okay by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I "may" submit a print
    Yes I'd be up for this and learning from my Photobook experience I will be test printing before submitting....ah experience :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

gandalf wrote: »
    Yes I'd be up for this and learning from my Photobook experience I will be test printing before submitting....ah experience :)

Good point!
    My shot came out a bit darker but I think I like it more in the book than it looks in my print/digital copy.

• Advertisement

Unlike the Book, we are not necessarily limited to one submission per person. The decision would be for Calina, as it's her project.

If the number were raised there are a few considerations.

1/ How many per person?

2/ If selected, should an individual have more than one print hung?

I have my own views, but would like to hear what others think.

I "may" submit a print
    1/ How many per person?

I would go with 3 absolute max
    2/ If selected, should an individual have more than one print hung?

No. We have a limited number of slots and a large number of potential participants. To be selected at all would be good, to take up more than one slot would perhaps be unfair on borderline cases would would otherwise make it.

My two cents' worth.

I "may" submit a print
    Calina wrote: »
    1) Printing.

ststc has offered to do a special rate on the printing - it's a seriously good rate.

For anyone who is interested, the rate is €7.00 for a 16 inch by 12 inch print and the mount is €7.50.

So all told, printed/mounted €14.50. This rate is specific for the purposes of the boards.ie exhibition. Any other queries about printing unrelated to the exhibition that you might want ststc to do for you should be addressed to him via pm.

I will collect all the prints done by ststc for the exhibition around 14 February.

For this, Steve is going to set up and ftp and we need you to supply a file that has your name as the filename so that I know who owns what photographs.

2) The prints will be returned to the owners after the exhibition, or beforehand, if they don't make the wall selection. If you're interested in a swap per mele's idea, please let me know. I like the idea.

3) Anyone who is interested in participating can.

4) We haven't a final answer on the slide show yet; when we do I will come back to people about how we'll do that, arranging for files to generate the fileshow (I have the technology to do this now).

Sounds good :) makes it much easier for those of us down the country.

I "may" submit a print
    I would concur with one selection and max three submissions per member!! otherwise it'd get way out of hand pretty quick!
    @ STCSTC how would you prefer payment aside obviously of in advance :)

thanks

ok

I have set up an FTP account

the details are

# FTP Username: boardexhibit@360-dpi.com
    # Password: photograph
    # FTP Server: ftp.360-dpi.com

once the submissions are done i will lock this account

As calina said please upload images with your name as the filename

eg, stephencrozier.jpg

or

stephencrozier2.jpg

this file name is very important for organizational purposes, it means calina can have a contact sheet with all the images and names on them
    please try to submit the files ready for print.

for a 16*12 inch image your looking at a jpg of about 5 or 6mb +

you could use tif files if you like they would be bigger though

once you have uploaded an image please pm me and i will confirm it and also send you my paypal details (i guess this is the easiest way to do the payments), i will wait till payments go through before printing etc.

Please dont leave it to the last moment either, there will be a good few prints for me to do, so get them in asap. and at the very latest by about the 11th of feb

I "may" submit a print
    I think to give everyone an even chance as well that if your shot is displayed your two rejected shots should not be included in the slideshow. ??

I "may" submit a print
    Well we need confirmation on the slideshow first. Before making a call on it though I'd like to see how many photographs get submitted.

Stephen, file size is less relevant to me than pixel dimensions. If I could have those it'd be great.

Thanks.

in terms of pixels

you need ideally 5760 * 4320

thats worked based on 360 dots per inch

but min would be

3840 * 2880

this is based on 240dpi, which for a photo is about as low as your want to go

Oh forgot to mention

had planed to print all the pictures on pearl paper, do have gloss, but suggest we shouldnt use that for this kind of stuff

I would like to thank Steve for a very generous offer on the Printing & Mounting.

If you do want to Print & Mount yourself, that is perfectly OK. That way you will have full control of your own image. However, there are advantages of people taking up the offer that Steve has made.

1/ The Prints & Mounts would all have a consistent look as they would all be printed on the same paper & in the same matt. This will help tie the exhibition together.

2/ The logistics of people in different areas getting mounted prints to Calina in good order is a bit daunting.

3/ Having recently used Steve for some printing I know that he gives individual attention to each print. You will not get this from a big online printer.

One question for Steve. Do you need to specify the colour space (sRGB or AdobeRGB etc.), or do you adapt to the image submitted?

either colour space would be fine

s

• Advertisement
Advertisement