Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Photography Exhibition at DCC - reality planning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I "may" submit a print
    stcstc wrote: »
    in terms of pixels

you need ideally 5760 * 4320

thats worked based on 360 dots per inch

but min would be

3840 * 2880

this is based on 240dpi, which for a photo is about as low as your want to go

Oh forgot to mention

had planed to print all the pictures on pearl paper, do have gloss, but suggest we shouldnt use that for this kind of stuff

Best I have is 3125*2367 so probably no point in submitting a print then?
    2248420884_fc0eb40a99_m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

nah it would be fine, just scale it a little

it would be ok to do a little interpolation in photoshop

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

jaqian wrote: »
    Best I have is 3125*2367 so probably no point in submitting a print then?

You could also opt to have it printed a bit smaller than 16x12. I would say that A4 is about the minimum though.

tony

although printing a little smaller is an option

i suggest not doing this as we will end up with different size prints etc, and dont think that will look as good

at the size we are talking about a little bit of scaling will not be noticeable

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

nah it would be fine, just scale it a little

it would be ok to do a little interpolation in photoshop

god dammit, 6 mp images arent gonna cut it too well, do ya print 300dpi?

well the native res of my printer is 360 dpi

so thats the ideal

I try not to print at less than 240, but have done

Mind maybe i am just really fussy, and other people dont notice what i do

I will print whatever people need me to, if they are happy with it

s

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

well the native res of my printer is 360 dpi

so thats the ideal

I try not to print at less than 240, but have done

Mind maybe i am just really fussy, and other people dont notice what i do

I will print whatever people need me to, if they are happy with it

s

well i mean like a 6mp file... from a d50... i THINK will look grand blown up... how do they turn out for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Thanks to Steve for the price offer, that's a lot better than I had expected, and at that price I will certainly put in a photo.

RE the questions/comments, I would say:

1. Max 3 images submitted per person

2. Max 1 image displayed per person

3. Max 1 image per person for slideshow if it goes ahead

4. I think that making all images of consistent look would be the right thing, so if people are planning to do their own printing/mounting, maybe Steve could say what paper and mounting board he will be using and make this the requirement? (I'd opt for the pearl for sure)

5. I was wondering, for the purposes of the exhibition, would it be possible to have any photos that are not hung but have been mounted put into a flick-through tray so that people can take a look at the 'best of the rest'?

Also of course thanks to all the organisers for the hard work so far!

I have actually printed from a 0.75 Mb jpg for a national club competition and had comments that the printing was fantastic

so yea prints from a d50 will be fine at that size

yea if people want to do their own and want to use same paper etc.

i will be using omnijet pearl (Ilford) and will be using black mountboard with a white core.

I then laminate the print to the backing board and then laminate the mount over it. this gives a very solid and permanent fix, unlike hinge mounting which can buckle etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

3. Max 1 image per person for slideshow if it goes ahead

I was thinking of the Slideshow showing as many of the images as possible, including the one's being hung. The Slideshow is in the window & on display each day to anyone passing the club. It comes on at about 6am & goes until about 11pm. The Gallery is only open on Saturdays from 11am - 5pm (unless we get volunteers to open at other times)
    5. I was wondering, for the purposes of the exhibition, would it be possible to have any photos that are not hung but have been mounted put into a flick-through tray so that people can take a look at the 'best of the rest'?

This could be a problem. Even though the Gallery is supervised a print from the box could walk out the door. Also having the prints handled by the general public would probably soil them. We get people coming through the Gallery with children & sticky hands etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I "may" submit a print
    I have two questions

Are submissions accepted in both landscape and portrait format?

Is there any restrictions as to the content of the Pictures?

Great idea and looking forward to the results!

Are submissions accepted in both landscape and portrait format?

Either is fine. Maybe an idea to indicate which orientation is required if there could be any confusion. Some abstract pieces can be confusing.
    Is there any restrictions as to the content of the Pictures?

No theme, but it has to be acceptable for public display. We have had Art Nudes in the Gallery before without a problem.

I have dates!
    (Not the sweet fruits from Palm Trees or nights out with attractive women, but a time for the opening of the Exhibition. :D )

Saturday 21st March

There has also been approval given for an Exhibition Launch on the Saturday Night for Boardies & members of DCC.

The Exhibition will remain open until the 18th April.

I "may" submit a print
    If submitting images by FTP and want you to print and mount, how do I pay? Do you take paypal? Ok found answer in thread :)

When is last day for submitting?

Cheers,
    Rob

as on one of my previous posts, i do tak e paypal, but what i will do is send it to you when you PM me, ie once you have uploaded you images

i need to sort out dates with calina, will come back to you about that

• Advertisement

Calina will need the Prints by 14th February. This will allow her to submit the prints to DCC for selection, which will occur shortly after that.

The Slideshow for the window will require Jpegs. I would say that most of the images submitted will be included in the slideshow. It will include the images that are hanging as Prints as well as the images not selected. DCC will compile the slideshow, as there will be occasional slides with Club Information included.

We can fit 30 Prints in the Gallery & one Print in the Window (it can be seen all the time) The 30 will be selected in order & then if there are more than one from a single person the extras will be removed & other prints moved up.

What would look good is if there were a small panel under each Print to be hung with the title & a short description. If these were all done in the same style, maybe with a Boards Photography Logo, and laminated it would look really good. Then we just need an overall description of the Exhibition.

A big thanks to Calina for doing so much for this. I am only facilitating, she has done & is doing, most of the work here.

ok so if she needs to get them on the 14th

i need to have image by say the 11th or 12th at the latest,

please dont everyone wait till then though. it will take a while to do them all so start sending them now if you have them

s

I "may" submit a print
    CabanSail wrote: »
    What would look good is if there were a small panel under each Print to be hung with the title & a short description. If these were all done in the same style, maybe with a Boards Photography Logo, and laminated it would look really good. Then we just need an overall description of the Exhibition.

Calina is doing fantastic work, bet she is sorry though she ever took on this project ;)

I'll be submitting by FTP, if you are looking for description, what info do you want and can I zip it with the jpeg? Initially it was only a jpeg getting submitted with robdevine1.jpg. Will FTP accept zipped files (never really used it before)?

Cheers,
    Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I "may" submit a print
    The descriptions will need to come to me I think, if we let ststc deal with with image printing, I should be able to do the panels no problem.

CabanSail, would A5 be an okay size for those panels?

A5 would be perfect.

We can wait for the descriptions until after the selection has been made. They will only be required for the Prints that are being hung.

• Advertisement

I "may" submit a print
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I "may" submit a print
    Don't know why I only saw this thread until now. Right, I'm in. First of all, thanks a million Calina and CabanSail for all the work put in. It's finally coming into fruition - it's gonna be great! I will send my image to Steve end of Jan/Early Feb!

Well done again.

Remember you can submit up to 3 Prints each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I "may" submit a print
    Thank you all for such great work in preparation. Just to select and process three pictures now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I "may" submit a print
    A huge debt of thanks to Calina, stcstc and CabanSail, I'm now all FTP'ed.

Calina, in terms of wordage, can you give us an idea? Magna Carta or Twitter? :D

Are you thinking 200 words or 20, or somewhere in between? Do you want to know about me or the photo or both?

Thanks,

Hugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I "may" submit a print
    This should be a good project.. Now to get selecting!
    Also, cheers again to ststc for handling all printing.. Have got stuff done by him before and its top notch.

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Calina, in terms of wordage, can you give us an idea? Magna Carta or Twitter? :D

Are you thinking 200 words or 20, or somewhere in between? Do you want to know about me or the photo or both?

Don't worry about the signs just yet. Those that have had images selected will be notified & we can work out the details then.

ok, i have 1 print order

and one guy said to me tonight at camera club

so start choosing guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I "may" submit a print
    Hope to have the 2 or 3 I will go with sorted by Sunday. I need to do some touching up and a test print before I commit stcstc.

cool man, i am just trying to make sure everyone doesnt leave it till the last moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I "may" submit a print
    Just came back from holidays. Will get mine FTPed asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I'm going to try choose mine between tonight and tomorrow, but as I've mentioned in a PM to you already stcstc I may choose a film shot. I've some of those in digital format but perhaps scanning the negative will be better...

i can do the scan for you as discussed, but there will be an extra cost for the scanning

That's no problem, will I need to post the negatives to you?

It just means I need to get organised a bit quicker than the digital people, I intend to have my images chosen by Thursday morning at the very latest.

where you based

i am out in foxrock, maybe we could meet up so your not having to put negs in the post

I'm in Portobello so can meet anywhere that's handy for you.
    I'll PM once I've made a decision on what to print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Ooooops just read this thread now, I thought it was a DCC thingy ONLY !!
    Could ye refresh me please: If I submit 3 pics (to the FTP site).....what happens then ?
    ie. Even if none of the images are selected (I'm only a novice !), I would like to get at least one print done (for myself) at the 'said' price ! Or is this price only for the SELECTED images that will be displayed at the Expo ? Pls forgive my noobness, its a looong thread!

Steve has given a VERY good price for printing & mounting.

If you submit 3 images then you will pay Steve for that work & those images will be judged by independent people withing DCC. At least one of the selectors have an FIPF & the others have AIPF's

The selection will be done annonomously (the selectors will not know the identidy of the Photographers) & placed in mark order. If someone has more than one print selected, then the highest scoring print will be retained. This process will result in 30 images being selected for the gallery & one more image to be hung in the window.

The work not selected will be returned to the owners. Those selected will be informed & asked to give Calina some information to accompany the print. This will probably be in a standard template.

The Exhibition will be hung on the morning of Saturday 21st March & be open to the Public from 11am. We are planning on having an Exhibition Launch that evening. It will be for DCC Members as well as participants from Boards.ie (not necessarily just this forum) It would be good to have as many of the photographers there as possible on that night. If we want to have drinks for the Launch then that is possible, we just have to work out how to fund it.

If there were also some 2008 Yearbooks for sale, I think they may sell during the exhibition. Even if a Display Only Copy were available & the Blurb details given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

So.......every image submitted gets printed and mounted, for 14Euro each ? so 3 * 14 = 42

• Advertisement

Yes ... that's the offer that Steve has made.

Fogot to add. All the images deemed appropriate by the selectors will be put into a slideshow that runs in the window of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Uhhhh...

My favourite image is square. In fact, most of my favourites are :(

elven

because the frames are 20*16 we could do someting like mount a 12*12 image in the 20*16 mount, if that helps??

If the powers that be would take it like that... I'm still not 100% on submitting though :/

A square image is fine. The only stipulation is the 16 x 20 mounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I "may" submit a print
    So would a 12*12 simply have "blank space" between it and the mount edges?

• Advertisement

I'd guess the aperture in the mount would be cut to a square and maybe hung portrait style with more space towards the bottom, that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dink

I "may" submit a print
    The mount would be cut to suit 12 * 12 would it not??

As Steve is doing all the work individually, he will cut the mount to suit the print.

I think the frame being hung Portrait would probably suit a lot of square images. If you wanted a particular orientation then ask Steve to mount it that way.

tony has it spot on.

what i was suggesting was 12*12 and put it towards the top of the 20*16 frame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

CabanSail wrote: »
    I have just put up a Poll to gauge how many Prints we are likely to receive. As said before there will be about 30 prints hung in the gallery. There will need to be more than this number submitted to allow a selection.

While this may inspire us all to produce work, it may be more sensible to save people who are busy time and expense by saying when the number thirty has been reached.

It has all got a bit overwhelming for me, but that's because I'm frighful at printing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement